Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I just placed an order for 2 x 16GB kit at Crucial:

CT3650282 16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM Upgrade for a Apple iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (27-inch, Late 2012) System for $163.98 before tax or shipping.

scottgoh

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I just placed an order for 2 x 16GB kit at Crucial:

CT3650282 16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM Upgrade for a Apple iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (27-inch, Late 2012) System for $163.98 before tax or shipping.

FreemanW, how do you know that the Ram will work on the new 27" iMac?

Edit: Amazon dont send these crucial rams to Aust. :(

jkautosports

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
New York, NY
Hey guys - long time lurker here :)

I ordered my first iMac (and, well, Mac) on 11/30 at 3:10AM Eastern. I'm eagerly waiting, just like many of you!

Anyway, OP - I bought 32gigs of ram on Amazon. I ended up going with Kingston KTA-MB1600/8G as it was the cheapest I could find:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089MTON0/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Apparently, it is the same RAM used in the MBP. It was highly rated and came out to $160 shipped (no shipping or tax)... I received it in about two days. Hope this helps!

scubadoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
PA, USA
this one?

I'm ordering a 27" iMac as well and considering this memory from newegg.com. Currently its on sale for $64.99 for 16GB (2x8GB) with a $10 discount code good today only. I won't receive my new iMac before the return policy expires so I am wondering if I'm choosing correctly? Any opinions?

GeIL 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model GS316GB1600C10DC

Thanks in advance.

edited to say that the final is $54.99 after discount code, free shipping

Last edited:

jkautosports

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
New York, NY
Never heard of the brand but 10 latency is good and the reviews sound promising :)

I would have gone with that myself, but I had $60 worth of Amazon points to spend... My Kingston memory ended up coming out to $101 and change shipped :D

I'm ordering a 27" iMac as well and considering this memory from newegg.com. Currently its on sale for $64.99 for 16GB (2x8GB) with a $10 discount code good today only. I won't receive my new iMac before the return policy expires so I am wondering if I'm choosing correctly? Any opinions?

GeIL 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model GS316GB1600C10DC

Thanks in advance.

edited to say that the final is $54.99 after discount code, free shipping

Barrieon

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Newbie here and looking to purchase my first Mac.
I'm a bit confused. Everything I had read was that the 21" Mac had soldered in ram, and the 27"" (Which I'm looking to purchase) didn't.
Now reading some of these threads was wondering how easy it will be to install the ram. Is it going to involve removing the screen? Sorry if this is a dumb question but that seems to be what I'm reading now.

scubadoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
PA, USA
Never heard of the brand but 10 latency is good and the reviews sound promising :)

I would have gone with that myself, but I had $60 worth of Amazon points to spend... My Kingston memory ended up coming out to $101 and change shipped :D

I'm using my Amazon points on an external dvd/cd drive :) This ram seems like a good deal, just want to make sure I'm getting the right specs before I pull the trigger since I won't be able to return it. (My iMac won't arrive until the 30 day return policy is over.) Thanks!

jkautosports

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
New York, NY
I'm a bit confused. Everything I had read was that the 21" Mac had soldered in ram, and the 27"" (Which I'm looking to purchase) didn't.
Now reading some of these threads was wondering how easy it will be to install the ram. Is it going to involve removing the screen? Sorry if this is a dumb question but that seems to be what I'm reading now.

Neither of them are soldered in but the 21-inch cannot be accessed without taking the screen apart. The 27 inch has a door/button on the back. Check out some of the reviews... They make it a point to show off the access door.

scubadoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
PA, USA

You can upgrade the ram on the 27" yourself and save a ton of $. There is a little hatch behind the machine that you can pop the modules in.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/upgrade-ram-2012-27-inch-imac/

jkautosports

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
New York, NY
I'm using my Amazon points on an external dvd/cd drive :) This ram seems like a good deal, just want to make sure I'm getting the right specs before I pull the trigger since I won't be able to return it. (My iMac won't arrive until the 30 day return policy is over.) Thanks!

Def the right specs - actually it looks like one of the reviewers on Newegg installed it into a MBP... which uses the same type of RAM.

Haha that's funny.... I bought my memory on Amazon and bought my cd/dvd drive from Newegg! :D

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
There's a promo code for $10 off on the page. It stacks per unit so I got $20 off for purchasing two.

karino1

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
Am I missing something? I just ordered the iMac with only 8gb of Ram..will add on later. Should I be looking to install it ASAP get the iMac or can I do it down the road?
It seems like everyone is getting to install right away. Excuse my ignorance.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.