Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Bloomberg reports that Apple's $100 million plan to bring some Mac production back to the United States is likely to be a very modest operation at the outset, with some economists and industry experts projecting that the effort will create approximately 200 jobs.
200 Jobs?

504.gif

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
200 inside the factory sure, but don't forget about all the auxiliary jobs that will be created.

Construction jobs for the facility. All the machines they will need to order and have built. All the shipping in of new raw materials and out the finished products.

They intend to produce 1 Million units of product per year from this endeavor that isn't a small number and when you consider all the parts that go in to a Macintosh that is a lot of jobs being maintained to support this factory. And knowing Apple they will want to be eco about it so expect a huge solar and/or wind farm to be built near the factory also which again will help the green energy sector.

200 new Jobs on the surface, but a lot more in reality. And besides if this is successful or if they learn something valuable about how providing products stateside can be more beneficial we may see them move more product lines to the USA.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
The tax breaks they need are the idea that Obama has supported, that Apple be able to bring back $100 million to the US, and not pay taxes on it. It could be a big PR stunt, or maybe it's just the beginning of pulling back some manufacture from low-wage countries, for economic, political and national security reasons.

They are not even trying to get full on no tax to bring it back they are just aiming to get a smaller tax on it to bring it back.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It looks to me like a shallow PR move to make the headlines read "Apple Moves Factory Jobs to US". Maybe it's also a marketing experiment. 200 is not a serious number.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I can't believe people are complaining about this. Is it going to change the world by itself? No. But why not? What do you have against it?

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I understand that a huge part of a big company like Apple is the production costs and it is typically quite expensive to stay in the US, so even if it is only a modest 200 jobs, it is a start and it's 200 jobs that won't have been in the country before.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It's not much, but it's 200 jobs that weren't around before. The key is for this to be successful and for Apple to keep expanding it. No sane company would just open up shop somewhere with 100,000 jobs if its doing well in another system.

What would really rock is if the rumored Apple TV set were to be built in the US. It would basically be an oversized iMac and probably wouldn't require the speed advantage that China has right now. I'm not sure whether ANY televisions are made in the US now, so that would be an even bigger PR move

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
It's weird that Apple would go with Foxconn for US manufacturing. Why use the same company that causes all the problems and controversy with manufacturing in China? I mean, Apple could open up their own manufacturing facility and then not have to pay a third party anything.

Regardless, it's nice to at least get a few jobs back in the US. Here's to hoping more come along, and that people get the educations necessary to fill them.

justinLONG

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
well yes it's a very modest start... but over 200 new features... i mean jobs would be best. :D

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My guess is that it is a combination of political and manpower issues.

For some reason, Apple's products seem to be increasingly complex to manufacture. Or at least beyond the capabilities of traditional 'sweatshop' factory workers to mass-produce. This, coupled with the negative press from recent labour disputes, makes automation seem like a more viable option.

I recall reading somewhere that China is grappling with rising unemployment issues of its own. This means that the authorities will likely never support a move to automate production lines, because this means more workers will be unemployed, which in turn would result in rising social issues. So Foxconn has to go elsewhere.

If you want an alternative location, what better place than their home soil, the US? Better PR, you get to tap into more skilled labour, and the absence of hordes of lowly-skilled workers is a non-issue anyways.:)

Henry.A.Raven

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
Quite a modest number, at first I thought a million units was far too high but I suppose the system will be more auto-mated in America as opposed to the relatively low-tech production lines in China.

nordicappeal

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
This is GREAT. I think the old idea of robot assemblies will start now... also if Apple starts moving jobs (creating jobs outside China etc) more will follow.

I for one do production in Denmark after a visit in China - I simply wouldn't support current China of many reasons.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
Anyone want to comment on the complexity of a robot constructing a 2007 macbook compared to the new iMac? They headed toward automated manufacturing around 2010.

And yes, the meager investment is a PR thing, but I wouldn't discount the idea on that basis alone.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Apple likely wants to divest in chinese manufacturing, but until the US becomes much more business friendly and reduces taxes, it will be too cost prohibitive to do so on a large scale.

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
It's a really sad commentary that you can hire people for cheaper than robots.

no everyone cares for hand made anymore.
we want it cheap, we want it perfect, we want it now.

"the world is only what we have made it into,
if you dont like what you see,
You've only yourself to blame."

i actually agree with you, i think generally humanity is moving in a direction where it values machines more than life. it tells a story of our failure to love one another.

to the topic at hand... total PR stunt. i dont know what advertising costs in the uk, but for 100m you dont get that much media coverage.... especially when its not even you opening the factory, but a contractor you hire, even if you have put in a paltry (relative to apples reported wealth). Smart move... I for one am very happy that there isnt a major move to work in the US, i would have to stop buying apple for ethical reasons. :eek:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I think it's an excellent start. You may say 200 jobs, big deal, but that's going to matter a heck of a lot to 200 people. They might even be decently paying jobs that really help support a family.

I doubt that these will be high paying jobs. It's just assembly. I remember 10 years ago,when Nokia was number 1 in phones, they decided to open a plant in germany to assemble Nokia phones. The decision was supported with many millions from the german and EU government, and this was sold to the general public as "bringing high-tech jobs to europe/germany."

As it turned out, most jobs were not high paying and required little education. Eventually Nokias margins declined, and after cashing in the government money for a few years, they moved the jobs to lower paying romania and then to asia.

Anyways, it's still 200 jobs, so it's good. Though in the big picture its about as much as two Apple retail stores.

There might be some tax advantages by importing parts and creating the more valuable final product in the US. If that is enough to off-set the higher labor cost, this could serve as model for more apple products and also for other companies. So overall, a good move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.