Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
What's the difference in battery life and reliability and overall performance between the 2-battery newer version and the older 3-battery version? I have a chance to purchase a 3-battery one for $30 shipped off eBay, is it worth it? Or should I save up for the 2-battery version?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The older one -- I assume you mean the wider white one -- used *four* batteries. The new one uses two.

The main differences are size of keys, weight and number of keys. This new one is basically a MacBook keyboard with a cylindrical battery compartment. It's very portable, so you can use it with an iPad if you need to without too much clutter. If you need the keypad, there are add-ons that attach to the right side to give you the keys taken off.

I don't have any complaints about either one, but I would personally recommend the newer one. I think the keys depress easier and the batteries seem to last a lot longer.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
The older one -- I assume you mean the wider white one -- used *four* batteries. The new one uses two.

I do not think so. When apple first came out with the aluminum wireless keyboard... it used three batteries. After about a year... they changed to two batteries. They look largely the same.

I prefer the newer one with two batteries. It seems to last longer.

/Jim

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Yes there was the white acrylic BT keyboard that used four batteries, but the first mini Aluminum keyboard Apple made used three batteries, then they went to two batteries.

I actually acquired a two battery version, but still curious how the two compare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.