Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Comic sans should be removed from the earth

Every time I use the notes app I think 'this looks nothing like my handwriting'. Man I loved Steve but his obsession with making software look like real world physical objects was just :eek:

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
Of course he's not doing everything himself - I didn't say that.

Look at the timeline though.

On the 30th (or thereabouts, I can't be bothered checking) Apple announce that Ive will assume the new responsibilities.

On the 1st Nov beta 1 of 6.1 is release

Two weeks later beta 2 is released... So what you are saying is that two weeks after it was announced that Ive would assume new responsibilities he is already implementing the look and feel (or experimentation thereof) of the 'new iOS'? Sorry but I find that hard to believe.

I agree that the new welcome screen is notably different, but then again so is the old one (text on black gradient) - it's the first thing I noticed when I first saw passbook in 6.0 was that it was a different 'look' to the rest of iOS. I think this is more of a case of a new feature finding it's footing and experimentation around it.

Also: I'm not disputing that it's fairly obvious that iOS design is going to go in a different direction with Jony in charge, and I'm excited for what that will look like. I just don't think that the new passbook screen has anything whatsoever to do with that...

Agree to disagree! See the comment below this reply. I don't think it is far fetched at all, even after only a couple weeks, to say that this new UI/UX for a better understanding of Passbook (a new feature that people have been confused about) was seen by Jony's eyes and he simple said, Okay, or try this or that, etc. That would take a whole 1 or 2 minutes. Just sayin'.

Well, there's definitely a noticeable difference in style when compared to other parts of iOS. How much of it Ive had anything to do with is certainly questionable, but if he's the one approving or disapproving artwork, it's only logical that he was somehow involved.

Remember, he's taking over Steve Jobs' duties in overseeing human interfaces. He's likely not designing them himself, he's just approving or disapproving based on his taste and/or zeal for perfection.

This!

All I see is the one thing I hate: Ads. In this case, Target demanding my attention and imposing its branding in my face while I'm trying to use a device and app I paid for.

Haha, I don't know who took this screenshot, I got it off AppleInsider, but when you open Passbook there is nothing there, no ads, just this new welcome card! Whoever took the screen shot apparently had a Target card added already. So don't worry, calm down lol.

If Scott Forstall is still around in any capacity how much influence does Ive have right now? My guess is we'll see his influence after Forstall leaves. Besides it's not like all of apples UIs have been skeuomrphic. But that's part of the problem - an inconsistent design language across iOS/iTunes/App Store. That's one of the things I hope Ive can fix. Get a cohesiveness of design across all of iOS.

Yes I want more uniformity as well. Honestly, I wish they would split iTunes into pieces in OS X and have Music, Movies, Podcasts, iBooks, iTunes U, iTunes Store, and ONE App Store like in iOS! I was hoping that would happen with the next iTunes update, but I guess it is not going to :(

Comic sans should be removed from the earth

Yup! :D

Every time I use the notes app I think 'this looks nothing like my handwriting'. Man I loved Steve but his obsession with making software look like real world physical objects was just :eek:

I like clean design overall but I think some subtle hints of skeuomorphism that are functional are ok and can add character. But it has gotten out of control for sure!

I'm confused... People are flipping out because a splash screen has been altered?

Take a xanax and relax lol

No we are not flipping out. Just having a fun conversation and speculating on our excitement for some fresh ideas in iOS soon!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I like clean design overall but I think some subtle hints of skeuomorphism that are functional are ok and can add character. But it has gotten out of control for sure!
I was at a Tableau software conference last week and this discussion came up at a cocktail party. A couple Tableau employees were making fun of some of the UI stuff in iOS and sadly I couldn't disagree. I don't know if I'd want to be Ive right now. As important as maps and Siri are everyone is going to zero in on what iOS (and other software) looks like. I have a feeling the expectation that it will be really different is huge. :eek:

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
I was at a Tableau software conference last week and this discussion came up at a cocktail party. A couple Tableau employees were making fun of some of the UI stuff in iOS and sadly I couldn't disagree. I don't know if I'd want to be Ive right now. As important as maps and Siri are everyone is going to zero in on what iOS (and other software) looks like. I have a feeling the expectation that it will be really different is huge. :eek:

Ya I'm not sure... It probably will get a lot of attention and there is quite a bit of pressure on iOS 7 already! I'm not sure how drastic the changes will be. Probably more refinements but lots of them. Same overall theories and user interaction but lots of cleaning up and refinements with some apps being redesigned and some new UI paradigms embraced with SDK support for devs.

That is my prediction :)

Last edited:

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
The other day Apple issued a new beta of iOS to devs.

I am going to go on record and say that the new Passbook welcome screen (below) is the first sneak peek into iOS UI/UX designed by Jony Ive's oversight!

What do you all think? Discuss :)

Tell me this is a joke, right? That design looks like crap, worse than anything during the stone age from RIM.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
I only say it because I'm a graphic designer myself.

Well that's great but so are the people that designed that. And they work for the most prolific technology company on earth that is notorious for beautiful design... Just sayin'.

Why don't you post a mockup of how you would do it :)

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Well that's great but so are the people that designed that. And they work for the most prolific technology company on earth that is notorious for beautiful design... Just sayin'.

And the same can be said for its current design.
So why all the hate for that then hmmm.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
iOS 7 needs to unify all elements of the UI. There are way too many different schemes and styles within iOS and I hope they can fix that. And please, please get rid of the gray blue color of safari and so many other things in iOS on the iPhone. It looks so much better on iPad with the silver/gray look. I am actually a big fan of the new black look of the App Store. I would like to see that spread to the other apps.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
And the same can be said for its current design.
So why all the hate for that then hmmm.

No hate here. I am just noting that there is a difference in style hence my suspicion that Jony had some sort of oversight and input by this point.

However this new one is more clear and better from a UX point of view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.