Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I haven't got a clue what's happening with mine, my online banking showed a debit for the cost of the mac but now my balance shows the pre order amount again. Apple still show the machine as due to be delivered in 1st week of January.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I haven't got a clue what's happening with mine, my online banking showed a debit for the cost of the mac but now my balance shows the pre order amount again. Apple still show the machine as due to be delivered in 1st week of January.

I would imagine that the initial debit was Apple making sure you have funds available(earmarking?). Apple will request the full and final amount when it ships.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
That's what I'm hoping, but I've never noticed it on a transaction before. Maybe it's because of the amount. ?

Seems a bit odd to test the water, go off and build a custom spec machine and then take the money later on. I could empty the account between now and order complete and they'd have a stalled order on their hands.

In reality it's no biggy, my 27 order is in progress and I have a lot more cash in the bank than I should :D

ericbreiter

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012

I had the exact same thing happen on my account this morning. The order amount was reserved (showing as a debit) but not it is available again. I have not seen it previously either and I buy quite a few things online.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I see pending charges all of the time. It happens the day before the actual charge goes through, but since it was a Friday, the charge will probably go through on Monday. Up until Friday, there was no pending charge at all on my card. When I got my iPhone5, the pend turned into a charge on the day it shipped. I'm hoping for the same thing here.

ericbreiter

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
I see pending charges all of the time. It happens the day before the actual charge goes through, but since it was a Friday, the charge will probably go through on Monday. Up until Friday, there was no pending charge at all on my card. When I got my iPhone5, the pend turned into a charge on the day it shipped. I'm hoping for the same thing here.

I see pending charges all the time as well. The difference here is that there was a pending charge (and funds reserved) after the order, but now after a few days the pending charge has disappeared, the funds are available again and payment has not taken place yet.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I see pending charges all the time as well. The difference here is that there was a pending charge (and funds reserved) after the order, but now after a few days the pending charge has disappeared, the funds are available again and payment has not taken place yet.

This happens every time you buy something with a credit card and a product uses more than a week before processed by the dealer. And since apple hasn't processed the order yet the reserved money are being released and gets available to you again... It will be charged once they ship the product. So just chill out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.