Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blenderdude

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I thought it would be good to compile a list of free, and especially Open Source, applications for OS X. There doesn't seem to be a great list anywhere :)
Obviously my list is pretty short, so please add to it! Preferably include a link and its commercial "alternative" if applicable, i.e GIMP instead of photoshop. Then i'll edit the main post and try and keep it up to date.

Graphics & 3D
The GIMP - Open source photo and image editing (photoshop alternative)
Blender - Open Source 3D Modeling, Animation, Texturing, Rendering, and Game creation package (3DS Max/Maya/etc)
Inkscape - Open Source 2D Vector Graphics application (Illustrator alternative)

Multimedia (video and sound)
Edo - Free high-quality image and video compositing application
Avid Free DV - Free, stripped-down video editor from Avid.
Audacity - Free, open source multi-track audio editing and recording application

Productivity
OpenOffice - Free, open source productivity application suite, with word processing, drawing, presentation creation, and spreadsheet capabilities (Microsoft Office alternative)
Nvu - Free, open source Web Authoring System

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Butler (app launcher and iTunes control from the menu bar, very customizable)
Ejector (eject volumes from menu bar)
Adium (instant messaging)
MactheRipper and Handbrake (DVD backups to MPEG-4)
QwickAlert and Screenshot Widgets
iTaf (iTunes alarm clock)
CocoaViewX and JView (stripped-down image viewers)
FireFox
iEatBrainz (fixes iTunes ID tags automatically)
MPlayer and VLC (plays all kinds of video files Quicktime can't)
SuperDuper (cloning disks)
WireTap (making recordings of anything)
Startup Sound PrefPane (lowers the volume of the startup chime)
ToyViewer (stripped-down photo viewer and editor)
Tinkertool and ClearDock (because I keep my dock on the right side of the screen in the bottom corner, without the background) see pic below

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpeg
    screenshot1.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 588

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I agree with edesignuk...this thread will end up being pointless within no time. Lists of apps are out there already and even if this got made a "sticky" people would still start new threads like "what's the best free app for...." So, I say this should be locked or wastelanded...although I do understand the originator did mean well :) ....oh yeah!

Yacomo

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2006
Zug, Switzerland
I apologize for reviving an old thread, but I believe there are a lot of very nice applications out there which are little known, but deserve a pitch.

Two of my favorite applications are offered freely as 'entry level drugs' from a little know company called 'Digital Art Zone'. These tools are great at providing a creative outlet to the 'creatively challenged' like myself ;)

The first one is a landscape generation program with a long history:
Bryce 5.5
(the most current version is 6.1, but version 5.5 is free and not too different)

The second one is a 'digital photo studio', somewhat similar to the commercial Poser application. It supports the Poser format, so you can use the thousands of free Poser models on the net.
DAZ|Studio
(free registration required for serial number)

They also offer free content to play with:
Poser/DAZ Studio 3D Models Pack
Bryce Presets 5
Free Model Archive

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with this company, I am just a happy user :)

dirt farmer

Suspended
Feb 23, 2005
I'm a huge fan of open source/GPL apps. for mac!

What I do, is subscribe to freshmeat.net's osx RSS feed, found here. Just click on the "fm-releases-osx' link, and you'll get daily updates of all new open source/GPL apps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.