Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I never heard about them selling off towers but i do know they received a large amount from the fall through merger with ATT.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-buy-t-mobile-usa-towers-for-2-4-billion.html

They sold the rights to 7,200 of their towers for $2.4B. Not a huge deal - they can always rent back and the money they get up front helps them roll out network enhancements and such.

It just seems a little desperate, which I suppose after the failed merger and the bigger guys getting bigger while they loose 1.5 million customers in 9 months, they should be desperate.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
What do you know... that actually worked!!! It took me 15 minutes to find the link on how to set up my email via the admin (I find their admin super confusing) but it works! Thank you! I called their tech support at least 5-6 times and NEVER had my email working since switching to prepaid which was over 6 months ago. I even talked to supervisors; I demanded to talk to one because nothing ever got resolved. Why didn't they just tell me to do it myself in the admin?

They just kept resending books and telling me to take out the battery and all this stuff that never did anything!! Maybe I'll keep this BB a bit longer now that it works...

Have to thank you again. You are more knowledgeable than the people that work there!

Most of the support staff have been working with Android and supporting the army of devices that T-Mobile carries. Even in sales they don't recommend the BlackBerry due to the current issues RIM is facing. So with so few end users on BlackBerry BIS service, it's nearly impossible to know the proper fix due to such low numbers in contrast with Android and even official iPhone support for customers.

Glad to help... :)

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-buy-t-mobile-usa-towers-for-2-4-billion.html

They sold the rights to 7,200 of their towers for $2.4B. Not a huge deal - they can always rent back and the money they get up front helps them roll out network enhancements and such.

It just seems a little desperate, which I suppose after the failed merger and the bigger guys getting bigger while they loose 1.5 million customers in 9 months, they should be desperate.

Well i hope they do improve their network because it wont only benefit their customers but customers from every carrier due to increased competition.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
T-Mobile - 3 Lines, Unlimited Voice/Text, 5GB Data + Hotspot
$199.99

AT&T - 3 Lines, Unlimited Voice/Text, 6GB Data + Hotspot
$195.00

What am I missing? I'm sure you can configure a plan that's cheaper on T-Mobile, but is it worth saving a few dollars for a much worse network?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Everyone I know on T-Mobile drops calls 'like no tomorrow'. However T-Mobile data speeds are impressive in Philly.

I don't mind paying for 'premium' service.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I think tmobile is going to charge $500 for the iPhone like virgin mobile and that other prepaid carrier does. Much easier to shell out vs $500, and the "return on investment" is a few months quicker
There is no way they can charge $650 for an iPhone and expect to draw attention to their network. That's why they lost millions of customers the last few years. After all, those customers did have an option to shell out $700

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
AT&T has enjoyed being the dominant GSM carrier in the US for way too long. Verizon and Sprint don't even count because of their limited technology. T-Mobile can finally bring out all the beauty in the GSM version. Once they're re farmed they will have such a better network than AT&T.

*LTE Advanced, with HSPA+ 42 to fall back on. (AT&T currently maxes their HSPA+ network out at 21mbps which is VERY congested. The iPhone 5 supports DC HSPA+. :D

*Simultaneous voice and data the RIGHT WAY. AT&T currently throttles speeds during calls with very high pings. T-Mobile DOES NOT, and one can surf the web and talk the way it was suppose to be. Research this if you don't believe me.

*TRULY unlimited data with no overages, no throttling, or metering.

*Cheaper monthly service which benefits those who like to pay full price right away.

*Visual Voicemail for T-Mobile

Yeah that's just a few. I for one can't wait to ditch AT&T and hop on T-Mobile very soon with my unlocked iPhone 5.

What are you high! I guess T-Mobile announcing they will carry Apple in 2013 has got you revved up, but your forgetting a few things. T-Mobile will be able to sell Apple products put they will be selling them at full price, $650, $750, $850. Okay so maybe you are willing to buy a phone full price, hell I did on Verizon for the iPhone 5, but remember this as well, T-Mobile doesn't have LTE. T-Mobile is creating it as we speak but it will be leagues behind Verizon and AT&T and even Sprint. Third, this unlimited un throttled bandwidth your talking about with T-Mobile will most defiantly end when 4G (Real LTE) comes to T-Mobile.

I don't want to bash T-Mobile since there plans are reasonable and they have better customer service than some places but lets be realistic

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
What are you high! I guess T-Mobile announcing they will carry Apple in 2013 has got you revved up, but your forgetting a few things. T-Mobile will be able to sell Apple products put they will be selling them at full price, $650, $750, $850. Okay so maybe you are willing to buy a phone full price, hell I did on Verizon for the iPhone 5, but remember this as well, T-Mobile doesn't have LTE. T-Mobile is creating it as we speak but it will be leagues behind Verizon and AT&T and even Sprint. Third, this unlimited un throttled bandwidth your talking about with T-Mobile will most defiantly end when 4G (Real LTE) comes to T-Mobile.

I don't want to bash T-Mobile since there plans are reasonable and they have better customer service than some places but lets be realistic

When t-mobiles LTE comes out it won't be leagues behind since it will be the first carrier to have LTE-advanced but I am sure it will be only in the major markets at the beginning just like their 3G for iPhone is now

----------

$199.99

$195.00

What am I missing? I'm sure you can configure a plan that's cheaper on T-Mobile, but is it worth saving a few dollars for a much worse network?

I am currently paying $135 for 3 lines with unlimited talk,text, and data. I'm not sure what plans you are looking at

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
You continue to let AT&T rape you!!! I won't. If that means being on EDGE occasionally, then SO BE IT!!!

They will improve coverage with their recent merger with Metro PCS.

You should look up the definition of rape. And then calm down

youCANTstopME

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
AT&T has enjoyed being the dominant GSM carrier in the US for way too long. Verizon and Sprint don't even count because of their limited technology. T-Mobile can finally bring out all the beauty in the GSM version. Once they're re farmed they will have such a better network than AT&T.

*LTE Advanced, with HSPA+ 42 to fall back on. (AT&T currently maxes their HSPA+ network out at 21mbps which is VERY congested. The iPhone 5 supports DC HSPA+. :D

*Simultaneous voice and data the RIGHT WAY. AT&T currently throttles speeds during calls with very high pings. T-Mobile DOES NOT, and one can surf the web and talk the way it was suppose to be. Research this if you don't believe me.

*TRULY unlimited data with no overages, no throttling, or metering.

*Cheaper monthly service which benefits those who like to pay full price right away.

*Visual Voicemail for T-Mobile

Yeah that's just a few. I for one can't wait to ditch AT&T and hop on T-Mobile very soon with my unlocked iPhone 5.

the first t-mobile fanboy i have met on here.

#tmobileFTW

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
$199.99

$195.00

Are you comparing SHARED 6GB of data with 5GB of data PER LINE on T-Mobile? The reason those prices are close is because it's a difference of 9GB of allowed data. If you compare a 3 line plan with 6GB of T-Mobile data then the plan price is only around $135. That's a pretty large difference over 2 years.

Plus who wants to constantly watch how much data everyone on their account is using or risk $15 overages.

There's a significant gap in the average cost of a T-Mobile plan compared with AT&T no matter which way you slice it.

----------

But tmobile doing away with subsidies will be their undoing. Not a lot of people can pay $700 up front.

You don't pay $700 upfront. If it was like that people would just go buy the phones straight from Apple rather than T-Mobile.

Their Value Plan model is based on you paying a "down payment" upfront and the rest of the phone price is rolled into your monthly bill for 20 months until it is paid off. Then your bill will drop by $20. The advantage to this is that the other 3 carriers roll the price of the "subsidized" phone into your bill but even after you have completed your contract and paid off the phone, your bill will remain high regardless. Added bonus is that T-Mobile still offers unlimited data while the big two charge more for service as well as charge overages for data usage.

For example:
Currently the Galaxy S3 is $149 upfront, then $20 per month for 20 months. After the 20 months that $20 falls off your bill bringing an unlimited everything plan down to being only $70 per month. Factoring in the $20, it would be $90 for those first 20 months.

A Galaxy S3 on Verizon/AT&T is $200 upfront but your bill will remain $100+ even after you have repaid the price of the phone several times over. No matter whether you've had it for 2 years or 4 years your bill never drops.

Honestly unless T-Mobile has poor coverage in your area or 2G only, there's really no other reason to choose any of the other 3 carriers once they finally get the iPhone.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
How are Tmobile speeds right now in L.A? So the best place to buy a phone for use with Tmobile is just from Apple direct?

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Guys lets face it. The only reason AT&T has such a wide/complete network is because they've had the iPhone since day 1. This has brought them so much revenue to continue to build out that network.

Imagine if T-Mobile would have gotten the iPhone from day 1.

lancia832

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
I am on T-Mobile. 3 iPhones with Unlimited Data, 1 iPhone with 200 MB Data, Unlimited Minutes ad Texts for $115. That's just totally unbeatable. I'm on WIFI approx 18-20 hrs/day so I'm not willing to pay $100 more for services I rarely use.

Hello! CebuAno ,please can you tell us more about that plan ,it seems to good to be true ,whats the name of the plan? ,and how exactely can i get it , so basicaly 4 phones with internet plans for 115 $ , is that altogether ,or for a single phone ? If its for 4 phones i want to get on that plan , can you help us all get onto that plan please .Thank you ! If you can reply with the info.

lancia832

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
When t-mobiles LTE comes out it won't be leagues behind since it will be the first carrier to have LTE-advanced but I am sure it will be only in the major markets at the beginning just like their 3G for iPhone is now

----------

I am currently paying $135 for 3 lines with unlimited talk,text, and data. I'm not sure what plans you are looking at
Hello! I am always hearing abiut those cheap plans you guys are telling us but when i go on tmobile site i can not find it , can you please point us to those cheap plans , i would like to get onto that ,whats the name of that plan specificaly so i can find it on tmobile site ? Thank you ! If you can help us with t,he info .

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Coverage affects data as well. :rolleyes:

Nah i know I'd be happy with tmobile. I had them with my unlocked iPhone for three yrs when I was in grad school and I was happy. Hell, I got the AT&T iPhone cause I got tired of unlocking phones. I've been hit with data overages at $10 a pop at least 5 times in the past 2 yrs with AT&T, and there's nothing that's hurts more than paying an extra $10 when I went 20mb over my 2gig limit. That's sucks. I'd love to get sprint but they're too slow. At least hsdpa with tmobile is decent.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Hello! I am always hearing abiut those cheap plans you guys are telling us but when i go on tmobile site i can not find it , can you please point us to those cheap plans , i would like to get onto that ,whats the name of that plan specificaly so i can find it on tmobile site ? Thank you ! If you can help us with t,he info .

Look for the sim only plan.

sharkmok

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012

Value plan: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/ValuePackages.aspx
One of the best thing about value plan is that there is NO data requirement for ANY phone. You can add/drop/change the data option monthly. You paid full price for ANY phone and there is still a 2 year contract.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Guys lets face it. The only reason AT&T has such a wide/complete network is because they've had the iPhone since day 1. This has brought them so much revenue to continue to build out that network.

What are you talking about? Even before the iPhone, AT&T and VZW were NATIONAL carriers and had coverage everywhere. Their networks only improved after smartphones/iPhone started making them more money. Saying that they built out their network because of profits from iPhone shows how clueless you are.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011

I want to clear up that misconception. The iPhone is the most expesnive phone in AT&Ts lineup. It costs them much more when someone purchases an iPhone compared to say a Samsung Galaxy model. What's brining in the gross profits for AT&T and other carriers alike is the data services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.