Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mckey

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
I've had my 2012 mac mini about a month now and am still trying to get familiar with the mac os x after being a long time windows user.I'm getting older and my eye sight isn't as good as it use to be.

When opening safari the webpage default text is too small...... I have to hit view tab and click on the zoom in option 3 times in order to to get the text size large enough so I can read it.

It's a pita to have to do this every time I open a new window tab is their a way to increase default text size so I don't have to go through every time ?

I used the search engine and found one other forum member asking the same question but found no answer.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've had my 2012 mac mini about a month now and am still trying to get familiar with the mac os x after being a long time windows user.I'm getting older and my eye sight isn't as good as it use to be.

When opening safari the webpage default text is too small...... I have to hit view tab and click on the zoom in option 3 times in order to to get the text size large enough so I can read it.

It's a pita to have to do this every time I open a new window tab is their a way to increase default text size so I don't have to go through every time ?

I used the search engine and found one other forum member asking the same question but found no answer.

Yes, in Safari's Preferences open Appearance and change font size there.

The screenshot below is from an earlier version but I am pretty sure it's still there in your System.

P.S. Do you know safari can be used with tabs?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 48

mckey

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Tried the system preference > advance > accessibility >never use front size smaller than 9-18 but made no difference until I increase size to 16 and then causes some webpages to distort and text run together...... View attachment 382280

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 8.25.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 8.25.11 AM.png
    944.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 7.55.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 7.55.13 AM.png
    844.4 KB · Views: 62

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Tried the system preference > advance > accessibility >never use front size smaller than 9-18 but made no difference until I increase size to 16 and then causes some webpages to distort and text run together...... View attachment 382280

Yes, same here, in the advanced tab I also set it to 16 and got the same, maximum font size was 14 to be displayed right.
Shame the you can not set the font in the appearance tab anymore.
Sorry this didn't help.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
You can also zoom in using the "command +" shortcut. Doesn't fix your problem, but it's faster.

If you have a magic trackpad you can also use the "pinch" motion to zoom in and out.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

You can use the extension Quickstyle to get the behavior you want.

mckey

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Weaselboy thanks for tip on the quick style extension. Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't like that apple has taken away this option to set default front sizes.Sure I could zoom in using the "command +" shortcut to save a little time but who the heck want's to do that every time a webpage opens. :mad:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4136196?start=15&tstart=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.