Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Tennessee finally has a coach about being rejected 27 times and have hired Butch Jones from Cincy

Colorado really thought they had Jones wrapped up, but supposedly he wasn't sold on CU being a "destination" job, and when Gundy/Strong/everyone else backed away from the UT job, he jumped on it.

Pretty amazing that a top 15 (historically speaking) job comes available twice in a few years and both times they have to "settle" for their fifth or sixth choice despite offering $3M+ per year.

I wonder who's next on CU's list? I've seen some reports that Fresno HC Tim DeRuyter (formerly DC at A&M and Air Force; also played at Air Force) has shown interest in the job. After going 9-3 in his first season at Fresno, it would seem like a pretty smart hire (at this point, anyway).

USF is interviewing Clemson OC today.

Conflicting reports here. ESPN and a few others (including an Austin columnist who knows Morris personally) say he's interviewing while Morris, himself, denied that he was to a couple of SC newspapers.

If it was a head coach interviewing, I wouldn't believe the denials for a second, but why would an OC deny them? Weird.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Heisman reveal tonight. While there's little doubt that the Heisman is no more than a popularity contest and only sometimes reflects who the actual best player in college football is, I'm still hoping like hell that Manziel wins it.

The move to the SEC started a little buzz, but most thought the Aggies were crazy and would fail miserably. The hiring of Sumlin made a lot of folks think that A&M would eventually have success in the league, but no more than, say, Arkansas has. The instant success of this season, coupled with all the hype around Johnny, has helped create a recruiting bonanza and suddenly A&M is poised to compete for a lot more now and in the long term.

The Ags have three underclassmen who are all potential first round picks in the NFL this year. In the unlikely event that all three stay, and if Johnny wins the Heisman and A&M beats OU in in the Cotton Bowl, the hype from the media will be through the roof next year. Maybe even national championship contender hype.

It's a great time to be an Aggie.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Tommy Tuberville quit Texas Tech this morning to take the job at...Cincinnati. :confused: :eek:

Regardless of what Tech fans think of Tuberville, losing him to a Big East lightweight is a bit of a black eye for the Tech program and the Big 12 Conference.

Early rumors have Chad Morris and Kliff Kingsbury as targets for his replacement, though. Both those guys are great, young offensive minds and would be fantastic hires in Lubbock, so it could end up being a net upgrade.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." -Vincent Thomas Lombardi

picture.php

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I'm glad he won. Even as a public SEC hater, in the end he was clearly the best player in college football.

The Heisman is for the best player in college football, not the MVP. If it were the MVP, obviously Te'o would win. It isn't always that way every year, but luckily it has been the past few years with Manziel, RG3, and that scum, Newton. They were clearly the best players and won (and with Newton, also the MVP).

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
The Heisman is for the best player in college football, not the MVP. If it were the MVP, obviously Te'o would win.

I'm not so sure Te'o is even the MVP. He's clearly a great player and the heart of that defense, but picture A&M without Johnny or K-State without Klein, then picture Notre Dame with Te'o.

Would A&M be 10-2? Would K-State be 11-1? Would Notre Dame be 12-0? If the answer is "no" to all three, which team's record suffers the most?

did you see the old men sleeping in the front row during the presentation? hilarious

Haha I missed that! I did see an old guy (sitting right behind the finalists) cleaning his fingernails with his ticket, though.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I'm not so sure Te'o is even the MVP. He's clearly a great player and the heart of that defense, but picture A&M without Johnny or K-State without Klein, then picture Notre Dame with Te'o.

Would A&M be 10-2? Would K-State be 11-1? Would Notre Dame be 12-0? If the answer is "no" to all three, which team's record suffers the most?

Good question, but in an MVP debate, you also need to consider the immeasurable effect Te'o has on his team as the heart/soul/spirit of the ND team. Also, he's the most valuable player on (arguably) the best team in the nation. Without him, ND easily has the most to lose (not be undefeated and going for a BCS championship).

It would still be difficult and be sort of splitting hairs, but I think if you frame it as an MVP award, the scales tip into Te'o's favor.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

Haha I missed that! I did see an old guy (sitting right behind the finalists) cleaning his fingernails with his ticket, though.

I think NDs record suffer the least, but the impact would be the worst, as in no longer playing for the national championship.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Good question, but in an MVP debate, you also need to consider the immeasurable effect Te'o has on his team as the heart/soul/spirit of the ND team. Also, he's the most valuable player on (arguably) the best team in the nation. Without him, ND easily has the most to lose (not be undefeated and going for a BCS championship).

It would still be difficult and be sort of splitting hairs, but I think if you frame it as an MVP award, the scales tip into Te'o's favor.

I think NDs record suffer the least, but the impact would be the worst, as in no longer playing for the national championship.

Fair arguments. I disagree, of course, but I do agree that it's just splitting hairs at this point. All three guys (and a few others, too) were worthy candidates. I'm just glad the voters got it right. :D

121208_Johnny_Manziel_4.jpg

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
So the WVU mascot shot a bear with his mascot musket. It's causing a a bit of a stir. Don't watch the video below unless you want to see a bear dying (it's not graphic/bloody though).

How in the world is aTM taking 35 players his year?

A few probably won't qualify, one will be drafted in the first round of the MLB draft, and six will enroll early (which means they count toward 2012 instead of 2013). My understanding is that the SEC only allows 25 per class, so when all is said and done that's what the 2013 class will technically be.

Last edited:

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Kliff Kingsbury is the new head coach at Texas Tech.

I'm bummed we couldn't keep him for another year (or more) but expected he would be gone sooner rather than later, and when Tuberville bolted I knew it was the obvious move for them. He's a stud and should be great in Lubbock. Home run hire.

Speaking of Tuberville, what a piece of garbage that guy is. He ditched some recruits at dinner on Friday night—just left them sitting in the restaurant—to take the job at Cincinnati. D-bag.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
I seriously doubt any of you guys are FCS fans, but the FCS Semifinals are on ESPN2 Friday night with Georgia Southern vs North Dakota St. We played Old Dominion University on Saturday on ESPN in a great game, and hopefully this one turns out just as positively for the Eagles.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Kliff Kingsbury is the new head coach at Texas Tech.

I'm bummed we couldn't keep him for another year (or more) but expected he would be gone sooner rather than later, and when Tuberville bolted I knew it was the obvious move for them. He's a stud and should be great in Lubbock. Home run hire.

Speaking of Tuberville, what a piece of garbage that guy is. He ditched some recruits at dinner on Friday night—just left them sitting in the restaurant—to take the job at Cincinnati. D-bag.

I read about Tuberville doing that. I knew he was a d-bag, but wow.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I seriously doubt any of you guys are FCS fans, but the FCS Semifinals are on ESPN2 Friday night with Georgia Southern vs North Dakota St. We played Old Dominion University on Saturday on ESPN in a great game, and hopefully this one turns out just as positively for the Eagles.

I'll be watching the other semifinal because of Sam Houston State and then I'll probably watch the finals, too. Playoffs are a great thing, huh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.