Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi there,
I just unplugged a 23" Dell display, and plugged in a 24" display instead.
Then hit a key on the keyboard to wake up my Mac Pro, and it wouldn't wake.
I held the power button down until it turned off, and then hit it again... heard the chime, see the apple on the grey screen, along with the spinning thing and a progress bar just below that...
But when the progress bar (finally) gets to the end (it slows way down for the last little sliver), the Mac Pro shuts itself off.

pertinent info: 2010 Mac Pro 6-core, 24GB RAM, Mercury Accelsior SSD launch drive.

thanks for any help! I unplugged the Mac Pro for ten seconds, but that didn't help.
malch

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Hi there,
I just unplugged a 23" Dell display, and plugged in a 24" display instead.
Then hit a key on the keyboard to wake up my Mac Pro, and it wouldn't wake.
I held the power button down until it turned off, and then hit it again... heard the chime, see the apple on the grey screen, along with the spinning thing and a progress bar just below that...
But when the progress bar (finally) gets to the end (it slows way down for the last little sliver), the Mac Pro shuts itself off.

pertinent info: 2010 Mac Pro 6-core, 24GB RAM, Mercury Accelsior SSD launch drive.

thanks for any help! I unplugged the Mac Pro for ten seconds, but that didn't help.
malch

Have you tried a PRAM reset?

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
No, resetting the PRAM, and reset the SMC... and neither worked.
Also tried a Safe Boot. Same thing... grey screen with Apple logo, and progress bar below; the progress bar gets to the end and the Mac Pro shuts off.
I think I'm going to have to take the machine in to Apple, unfortunately.
Anyone have any other ideas?
malch

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
No, resetting the PRAM, and reset the SMC... and neither worked.
Also tried a Safe Boot. Same thing... grey screen with Apple logo, and progress bar below; the progress bar gets to the end and the Mac Pro shuts off.
I think I'm going to have to take the machine in to Apple, unfortunately.
Anyone have any other ideas?
malch

Does it still work with the old monitor?

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
I took the Mac Pro into an Apple Repair place, and the guy said my Accelsior SSD is the problem, and he recommends getting it replaced. After doing something in the back of the shop, he did manage to get it to mount, which was good news. I've since brought the machine home, successfully launched, and copied some files that didn't make it to the last Time Machine backup, so that's a relief.
I've now shut it down again, and relaunched. It's now behaving nicely again!
Do you think it was just some fluke thing that happened because I plugged in a new display... and that now I can trust it again? (of course I'll back up regularly)
malch

aminadab

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I took the Mac Pro into an Apple Repair place, and the guy said my Accelsior SSD is the problem, and he recommends getting it replaced. After doing something in the back of the shop, he did manage to get it to mount, which was good news. I've since brought the machine home, successfully launched, and copied some files that didn't make it to the last Time Machine backup, so that's a relief.
I've now shut it down again, and relaunched. It's now behaving nicely again!
Do you think it was just some fluke thing that happened because I plugged in a new display... and that now I can trust it again? (of course I'll back up regularly)
malch

This happened to my Accelsior drives before they failed to mount entirely. My advice is to save as much as you can and get in touch with OWC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.