Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Well... got the Galaxy S3 since August 11... it's been 11 days. What can I say?.. ok

1. NO LAG... I haven't seen any lag what so ever. The phone is very smooth.

2. SPEED 4GLTE: I'm just going to say... WOW!.. yesterday I did a speed test and got 18MG of download and 4MB of upload. It's insane. You will love when uploading videos to Youtube.

3. Camera performance in low light: Excellent... check out this video of a concert I went last weekend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFJxS_O-wo

4. WIDGETS: I'm really loving this...

5. SCREEN: the resolution is amazing. Videos and photos are so sharp and crisp. The screem is gorgeous.

6. BATTERY: it goes all day.. no problems here. Sometimes I think is better than the iPhone's battery.

7. SYNC: I can sync my phone with my calendar and contacts with my mac.. even better since it's all online. Just like icloud.

I don't think I'm coming back to iPhone

100% agree.

Since I used to have smartphones, I always had iPones (3G,3GS,4)until the day, the S2 came out.
Now owning a S3 since may, couldn´t be happier, really enjoying that beast.
Can´t imagine ever going back to an iPhone.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
does anyone know how to put a song from the market place into a ringtone on the galaxy S3, i downloaded the song from the market and i could play it on google play but there is no option to add as a ringtone?? i even went to "my files" but i could not find it? but then i went to a app called "zedge" and i downloaded another ringtone to test it out and it worked when i added it as a ring tone but zedge does not have the song that i want as a ring tone

nharrietha

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Canada
My experience with the S3's screen is that it's really freakin' good... until you go outside. :eek:
That's one of the only cons I can think of against it though. Can't wait to see what they do with the S4, that's for another thread though. ;)

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
Looking at the s3 for my daughter for Xmas she has the i4 now.
Can she put any music on it from iTunes?
And also what about pics can we put them on a Mac easily?
Thx.

DoubleTwist can synch music, has a paid wireless synch upgrade
AirDroid allows you to transfer files wirelessly

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
does anyone know how to put a song from the market place into a ringtone on the galaxy S3, i downloaded the song from the market and i could play it on google play but there is no option to add as a ringtone?? i even went to "my files" but i could not find it? but then i went to a app called "zedge" and i downloaded another ringtone to test it out and it worked when i added it as a ring tone but zedge does not have the song that i want as a ring tone

Use the app Ringdroid. You can make ring tones easy from any part of the song.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Got a new S3.... after my first thread I went back to the iphone. Missed lots of things from the S3 and now I got another S3. In this case I got a white one. Finally decided to stay with this phone. Its much better in many ways from the iphone. Now with Jelly Bean is another story... is even better. Not going back to iphone...

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
Use the app Ringdroid. You can make ring tones easy from any part of the song.

you sir are the best..i discovered how to resolve my ringtone issue and i used ringdroid to edit the ringtone, i wonder what ever happened to the "save as" option, you would think that something so simple and something lot of people use, android would make it easy instead of complicated

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
A really think Apple is staying back behind... that's how you think after using a Galaxy S3 for a while.. and with Jelly Bean is the best. Project butter is great

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I've never owned a smartphone before.

What phone is easier to use for a first time user? A samsung S3 or Iphone5?

I want my transition to smartphones to be as smooth as possible with a very abbreviated learning curve. I'm willing to give up some features and flexibility to avoid troubleshooting, glitches, etc.

I just want a reliable smartphone to start off with.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yea but now it means Android users have performance and features...regardless of how smooth you try to claim iOS is, it's still a feature vacuum.

The nexus 7 lags and stutters quite a lot though, which is kinda annoying as I would expect the vanilla android devices to be the most smooth. My S3 never lagged like that, before or after jelly bean.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The nexus 7 lags and stutters quite a lot though,

Mine doesn't do this at all. The only time this really happens is when I install an App and I'm guessing it's due to I/O on the NAND but this has happened with every single device in this class that i've owned.

What I'm suggesting is that yours simply should not be behaving in that way...unless you are referring to this happening in particular apps or something (and not the OS UI and animations/transitions).

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
The nexus 7 lags and stutters quite a lot though, which is kinda annoying as I would expect the vanilla android devices to be the most smooth. My S3 never lagged like that, before or after jelly bean.

Agreed, mine's terrible. Scrolling within apps is juddery (it's the worst at slower speeds), it seems to drop frames all the time and the touchscreen has never felt as accurate as even my old 3GS. It's not just my unit though, I work with a guy whose N7 performs exactly like mine, as did a demo unit I tried at JB Hi-Fi.

That's not exactly the largest sample size, but if the N7 is supposed to be better than what I've experienced, you'd think at least one of the three I've tried would perform how it's supposed to. I could just be really, really unlucky, but given that there's been a rise in the number of people on here having bought and come away disappointed in the N7's performance, I don't think that's the case.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Mine doesn't do this at all. The only time this really happens is when I install an App and I'm guessing it's due to I/O on the NAND but this has happened with every single device in this class that i've owned.

What I'm suggesting is that yours simply should not be behaving in that way...unless you are referring to this happening in particular apps or something (and not the OS UI and animations/transitions).

Any app that scrolls can cause it. It's most prominent in the play store or when scrolling horizontally between widget pages though.

It's fast, but stutters/gets stuck briefly quite a bit.

The N7 is less than a week old and was bought directly from Google, so there shouldn't be any issues yet.

----------

Agreed, mine's terrible. Scrolling within apps is juddery (it's the worst at slower speeds), it seems to drop frames all the time and the touchscreen has never felt as accurate as even my old 3GS. It's not just my unit though, I work with a guy whose N7 performs exactly like mine, as did a demo unit I tried at JB Hi-Fi.

That's not exactly the largest sample size, but if the N7 is supposed to be better than what I've experienced, you'd think at least one of the three I've tried would perform how it's supposed to. I could just be really, really unlucky, but given that there'a been a rise in the number of people on here having bought and come away disappointed in the N7's performance, I don't think that's the case.

Exactly. I'm not sure what's wrong, whether its the scrolling animation or the touch input, but scrolling is nowhere near as smooth as my iPhone 5 or iPad 2.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Any app that scrolls can cause it. It's most prominent in the play store or when scrolling horizontally between widget pages though.

I've come across some Apps which have poor scrolling performance and i tend to avoid them and find something else but the play store is extremely smooth for me. The later versions of it make it among the smoothest apps on my N7.

The N7 is less than a week old and was bought directly from Google, so there shouldn't be any issues yet.

Are you on 4.2? Did you try that Google currents fix for lag?

Edit: http://www.talkandroid.com/141899-does-your-nexus-7-lag-after-the-4-2-update-theres-a-fix-for-that/

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I've come across some Apps which have poor scrolling performance and i tend to avoid them and find something else but the play store is extremely smooth for me. The later versions of it make it among the smoothest apps on my N7.

Are you on 4.2? Did you try that Google currents fix for lag that's going around?

It's too early to say for sure but that does seem to have helped, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.