Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bookworms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
I would like to take a screenshot of a scene in movie I bought on iTunes, so I could use it as my desktop wallpaper, or maybe edit it a little and post it on a forum I go on. Whenever I try to take a screenshot of the scene I'd like (in full-screen, or the smaller player) it comes up blank.
I've tried it in Quicktime, and the same happens.
With VLC, the movie doesn't even open.
I'm pretty sure there isn't really a problem with my computer; it's just a copyright issue. But is there anyway I can take a screen cap?
Thanks!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Go to the Mac App Store and get yourself Skitch. It will allow you to take screen shots.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Probably not of purchased movies in iTunes, or dvds in DVDPlayer.
Yes, it should take those, as well. As an alternative, if you have another Mac on your network, you should be able to use Screen Sharing to take the screen capture from the remote computer. If not on the same network, you can use TeamViewer to do the same thing from a Mac or Windows PC.

lmhinman

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
More that doesn't work--and one that does

I'm trying to grab some stills from iTunes videos I "own." Skitch didn't do the trick for me, and neither did Voila or ScreenFloat. I can, however, grab screen shots off my iPad if I transfer the movie over to that. Screen shots there are simultaneously pressing the on/off button and the big button at the bottom of the screen.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Apple have got really tough on taking screenshots of protected content. It's blocked at the OS level in MacOS and iOS now. A great pity, since there are many legitimate reasons why you might want to take a still of the movie you've purchased. Here's one legal and safe way you can get round this petty restriction, on a Mac at least. It's not pretty, but if you use a VM as a matter of course, not much additional bother.
  1. Install a virtual machine host.
  2. Using this install a virtual machine OS such as Windows.
  3. Install iTunes on that OS.
  4. Authorise the 'computer'.
  5. Play your movie in the VM iTunes.
  6. Take a screenshot using your preferred keyboard shortcut, e.g (⌘)-Shift-3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.