Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The mini is fine for iBook ePub content but its inferior to the retina iPad for viewing PDFs.
I don't think anyone is going to say that the non retina mini renders PDFs better then the retina iPad 4 (though I didn't read through the entire thread).

I prefer my mini for reading do to its size, and portability (fits in my coat pocket)

sully677

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I'm going to pick up a Mini for clinics and rounds. A great deal of our med students have switched because the Mini fits easily in a white coat pocket (which you mentioned - what type of program are you in?).

I have the 3 and love it for textbooks and PDFs. I have Big Robbins on Inkling and several others in the Kindle app. I use GoodReader and NotesPlus for PDF reading and marking up respectively.

I won't miss the 3 that much and once the Mini retina version comes out I'll be switching immediately.

Med School. That's why it would fit nicely in a white coat pocket.

LushMojo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Camden, Maine
Med School. That's why it would fit nicely in a white coat pocket.

Good deal. Just wanted inquire because you stated "graduate school" rather than med school and you KNOW how many types of schools are "white coat happy" these days (i.e. - white coats sadly no longer signify just med school or physicians). Won't be surprised if/when they start having white coat ceremonies at rad tech programs.

Alright, back on topic.

sully677

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Good deal. Just wanted inquire because you stated "graduate school" rather than med school and you KNOW how many types of schools are "white coat happy" these days (i.e. - white coats sadly no longer signify just med school or physicians). Won't be surprised if/when they start having white coat ceremonies at rad tech programs.

Alright, back on topic.

Haha totally said the same thing yesterday and got some nasty looks from PC people.

I think the iPad mini 32gb + cellular is the plan.

LushMojo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Camden, Maine
Haha totally said the same thing yesterday and got some nasty looks from PC people.

I think the iPad mini 32gb + cellular is the plan.

The whole "white coat for everyone" will come crashing down in a few years.

I went with 16gb wifi. 2 reasons - 1) I have an iPad 3 16gb and PLENTY of room for everything I need (including Big Robbins in Inkling, etc). 2) I'm in Wifi literally everywhere I go. I've thought a lot about getting an LTE version, but I have that on my iPhone 5 and can just hotspot if/when I ever need to.

Will be upgrading to the retina mini the very moment it comes out though.

Best of luck in your studies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.