Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fiji

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Hi,
My friend was interested in upgrading to the iphone 5 and when he tried to do so on the AT&T website, there was an additonal charge of 30 dollars per month added to his monthly plan. He has an unlimited data plan and was under the impression that his old plan would be "granfathered" in when he upgraded the phone at the contract's end and he would not have to pay any fee (other than the activation fee of $36) for the upgrade.

I am thinking that AT&T was trying to charge him for "tethering" or something like that and that there was some mistake when doing the upgrade on the web and he was charged the $30 in error. He couldn't get a straight answer from the web chat as to why he was being charged $30 more a month for his unlimited plan. He was told to do the upgrade and then "call customer service" after the fact to evaluate the charges.

Does anyone have any experience with how to avoid this extra charge when upgrading via the website or should he just go to an AT&T store to do the upgrade?

Thanks

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Hi,
My friend was interested in upgrading to the iphone 5 and when he tried to do so on the AT&T website, there was an additonal charge of 30 dollars per month added to his monthly plan. He has an unlimited data plan and was under the impression that his old plan would be "granfathered" in when he upgraded the phone at the contract's end and he would not have to pay any fee (other than the activation fee of $36) for the upgrade.

I am thinking that AT&T was trying to charge him for "tethering" or something like that and that there was some mistake when doing the upgrade on the web and he was charged the $30 in error. He couldn't get a straight answer from the web chat as to why he was being charged $30 more a month for his unlimited plan. He was told to do the upgrade and then "call customer service" after the fact to evaluate the charges.

Does anyone have any experience with how to avoid this extra charge when upgrading via the website or should he just go to an AT&T store to do the upgrade?

Thanks

its not a mistake. he has been paying a $30 a month data fee the whole time. when upgrading hes still getting the same data plan but AT&T has to account that he is switching over to a LTE DATA CAPABLE phone. there is no increase in his bill unless he changed text or minutes or to a shared data plan

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
its not a mistake. he has been paying a $30 a month data fee the whole time. when upgrading hes still getting the same data plan but AT&T has to account that he is switching over to a LTE DATA CAPABLE phone. there is no increase in his bill unless he changed text or minutes or to a shared data plan

Why the hell would AT&T charge an extra $30 because he's switching over to a LTE capable phone?! Both my brother and his gf have unlimited data plans that upgraded to the iPhone 5 without being charged an extra $30.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Why the hell would AT&T charge an extra $30 because he's switching over to a LTE capable phone?! Both my brother and his gf have unlimited data plans that upgraded to the iPhone 5 without being charged an extra $30.

Read the post again, he's not getting charged $30 extra month at all, the $30 that shows up on the upgrade is just a change to the "iPhone Unlimited Data Plan for LTE Devices", which is still $30 as always.

In other words, the upgrade page with the checkout is just showing that his old Unlimited Data Plan is just being upgraded to the LTE unlimited data plan at the same pay rate.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Read the post again, he's not getting charged $30 extra month at all, the $30 that shows up on the upgrade is just a change to the "iPhone Unlimited Data Plan for LTE Devices", which is still $30 as always.

In other words, the upgrade page with the checkout is just showing that his old Unlimited Data Plan is just being upgraded to the LTE unlimited data plan at the same pay rate.

If you read OPs post he said that his friend is being charged an extra $30 a month. It probably is a mistake on AT&Ts side.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
If you read OPs post he said that his friend is being charged an extra $30 a month. It probably is a mistake on AT&Ts side.

I'm replying based on the other member you quoted, not the OP. I also think that the OP is misinterpreting a charge based on the fact that his friend hasn't upgraded just yet and so his bill hasn't came in with this mysterious $30 extra charge he's talking about.

I think it would best if the OP had his friend go through the process of upgrading and then take a screenshot of his cart so we can see what he's talking about.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's also entirely possible, as stated above, that the OP and friend are mistaken. Without seeing the details first hand we're all just randomly guessing.

Fiji

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Clarification

Hi Again,

Just to clarify, the charge is an EXTRA $30 per month added to his bill. He was trying to upgrade via the AT&T upgrade link on their website and saw his current charge for unlimited data, plus an additional $30 charge per month.

From your answers so far, I am assuming that if one has an existing voice, text, and an unlimited data plan, then there should be NO ADDITIONAL monthly charge added to your plan when you upgrade to an iphone 5.

I'll tell him to take a screen shot of the cart. Thanks for your responses so far, I appreciate the help!

youCANTstopME

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Hi Again,

Just to clarify, the charge is an EXTRA $30 per month added to his bill. He was trying to upgrade via the AT&T upgrade link on their website and saw his current charge for unlimited data, plus an additional $30 charge per month.

From your answers so far, I am assuming that if one has an existing voice, text, and an unlimited data plan, then there should be NO ADDITIONAL monthly charge added to your plan when you upgrade to an iphone 5.

I'll tell him to take a screen shot of the cart. Thanks for your responses so far, I appreciate the help!

maybe its just an upgrade fee?? lol they are $36

Warranty and additional information
Upgrade Advantage Program: See rate-plan brochure and Wireless Customer Agreement for full terms applicable to selected rate plan. Customer eligibility may vary based on credit history, payment history, payment status, customer type, and other factors. New 2-yr agreement with qualifying voice and data plans required. Upgrade fee of $36 applies. Subscriber must live and have a mailing address within AT&T's owned network coverage area. For further details regarding AT&T's Return Policy and Early Termination Fees, including Cancellation of Service, please see our Return Policy. AT&T may change the terms and conditions of the AT&T Upgrade Advantage Program at any time without notice. All other charges apply. Some dealers impose additional fees. Coverage not available in all areas.

Fiji

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Not an upgrade fee

@youcantstopme Not an upgrade fee- it was an additional $30 added to the monthly charge.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
@youcantstopme Not an upgrade fee- it was an additional $30 added to the monthly charge.

He definitely needs to take a screenshot of that cart, I never got that $30 extra charge when I upgraded to the iPhone 5.

Fiji

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Unlimited Data

Not yet, because he was certain that the charge was accurate-that's why I came here to see if anyone else with an unlimited data plan got charged this fee. It didn't sound right to me. I am thinking they were trying to charge him for tethering.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
I didnt even realize you could keep unlimited data when you upgrade on att. verizon forces you to choose their ripoff shared data plans

Yep, you can keep it. That was the reason I stayed with AT&T. I was able to use my subsidy and keep my unlimited data when I upgraded to the iPhone 5.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
You have to talk to an ATT rep. When ordering off their website it does not recognize the Unlimited plan and will try to replace it with the standard 30 dollar plan. Do not worry though as they will switch it back. It has happened to me.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Same here when I upgraded to the IP5. I saw the website wasn't quite jiving and was scared I would lose my unlimited data. So I called and clarified, even at the AT&T store when purchasing. No added charges at all. Probably just a system error that a rep can easily credit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.