Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Ohhh, the irony, it hurts.

A thread called "So Much Misinformation About iPhone" which consists almost entirely of misinformation about Android.
:rolleyes:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
After having Android phones for years I decided to buy an iPhone (3s) to see if I would like it. After 2 months I sold it to my sister and went back to my Droid 1 because of the lack of features that iPhone had. The lack of a microphone for texting and emailing drove me nuts (I hate typing) also having to wait until I got home to plug it into my computer just to delete a photo that I received from an email was a little much. The back button, the widgets and such was what I was used to with my android phone.
I'm sure the iPhone 5 is a great phone from what I've seen through friends of mine who have one but I don't see myself ever going back to an iPhone. I now have a Razr Maxx which is the best phone I've ever had.
It's all about personal preference and what is right for you. I've recommended Android phones and iPhones to my family and friends who asked me which they should get, it's all about what you want out of your phone.
Just my 2¢.

Hrm. You bought a 3 year old phone and didn't like it. Fancy that!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Hrm. You bought a 3 year old phone and didn't like it. Fancy that!

YEAH, exactly what I was thinking. Although I'm still using a 3GS myself and not complaining about it like the guy you quoted. It can still do alot of stuff, just slower than its successors.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
YEAH, exactly what I was thinking. Although I'm still using a 3GS myself and not complaining about it like the guy you quoted. It can still do alot of stuff, just slower than its successors.

I have to at least give him credit and tell him he did a good thing by actually trying. iOS isn't for everyone, and I have no problems with people saying that they don't like it after actually OWNING a device and trying it. Exact same reason why I will not pass judgment on an Android (other than 'I would not buy one')

Last edited:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
It was when the iPhone 3 was latest and greatest one out.

----------

Thank you, I forgot to mention it was 3 years ago. Sorry.

Ah okay mate.

Honestly, that's fair. The iPhone (as much as Apple or some of us enthusiasts :D) would like to have you believe, it's really not a phone for everyone. I do genuinely think an iPhone is better in general, but if you're pleased I dont have an issue with it :)

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
The next and last time I saw her, she only had gone and bought a HTC Desire S based on his friend's 'opinion', and I spent a good hour or two showing her how to use the phone and why certain things had to be done a certain way. I could tell she was already regretting it and she probably hasn't returned since out of shame!

Just out of curiosity, what did she find difficult about Android comapred to iOS? They're both around the same to me for most things. Some tasks are easier in one versus the other (example, I like the settings layout in iOS more, but fast toggling of radios is easier on Android), but overall, they're both based around a very similar touch interface.

I find claims of OS superiority exaggerated on the internet on both sides. Reading some posts, you'd think one platform is totally unusable.

Last edited:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Have you also seen many games prices on iOS (.99, 1.99, 2.99) compared to the price of some of the same Android games (4.99, 5.99) as well as many other apps? Draw Something is 2.99? On iOS it's 99 cents. (Both have free versions). Monopoly is 4.99 on Android, but only 99c on iOS. Asphalt 7: Heat is 7$ on Android, 99c on iOS (looks better on iOS too; I own both versions).

We already covered that.

There's a reason that all of those games sell poorly (not just on Android!).

Draw Something was this year's replacement fad for Scramble With Friends.

You do know that Whatsapp is not free for Android either? You get a one year free trial, then 99 cents per year. With iOS it is 99 cents forever.

I'd love a free trial of Whatsapp on iOS.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
We already covered that.

I'd love a free trial of Whatsapp on iOS.

Yeah whatsapp on Android is like $0.99 PER YEAR... The app itself is $0.99 in my country's App Store, but I managed to download it when it went free for a short period of time. So no cost forever :D

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
We already covered that.

Really? Because they're within the top paid apps on iOS and (further down but still in the top paid) on Android.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I too was guilty of hating Apple gear in my youth, mainly due to some bad experiences and friend-coached-bias.

I was shopping with a friend who was a massive Apple-Hater, he then started playing with a MBP... he bought it.

I then started to re-examine my whole tech-buying history and future.

Now I use Apple gear for 99% of my use.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I too was guilty of hating Apple gear in my youth, mainly due to some bad experiences and friend-coached-bias.

I was shopping with a friend who was a massive Apple-Hater, he then started playing with a MBP... he bought it.

I then started to re-examine my whole tech-buying history and future.

Now I use Apple gear for 99% of my use.

It weird because before all internet fanboyism, people already thought Macs sucked in elementary (I'm a 90's kid). It might be because they had bad. experiences at school which always used Macs

Even my parents who don't know anything about technology had a negative image of Macs until I got one. :confused:

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I was a total anti Apple person my first 25 years of my life, then my buddy let me use his Iphone 3G and the next day I cancelled my contract with Sprint and got an iPhone. I hated Itunes because it ran so slow on my Windows Machine. I absolutely would never buy an Apple Computer though because it only had a one click mouse and that was ludicrous to me....

Then a friend of mine was in a pinch and needing money so I bought his Macbook Pro off of him two years ago just to give it a go, and my wife and I fell in love with the Macbook Air, and now that has spawned to 2-Iphone 5's, Macbook Air, 2 - Ipad Minis, Apple TV2, and just bought an Airport Extreme on Black Friday. I will be adding the Mac Mini for a media server with Christmas Holiday Money. The ecosystem has sucked us in and everything just "works" and we were talking last night how we could never go back to using Windows again. Now if Apple and the Fed Gov could come to an agreement I would be in heaven!

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I was a total anti Apple person my first 25 years of my life, then my buddy let me use his Iphone 3G and the next day I cancelled my contract with Sprint and got an iPhone. I hated Itunes because it ran so slow on my Windows Machine. I absolutely would never buy an Apple Computer though because it only had a one click mouse and that was ludicrous to me....

Then a friend of mine was in a pinch and needing money so I bought his Macbook Pro off of him two years ago just to give it a go, and my wife and I fell in love with the Macbook Air, and now that has spawned to 2-Iphone 5's, Macbook Air, 2 - Ipad Minis, Apple TV2, and just bought an Airport Extreme on Black Friday. I will be adding the Mac Mini for a media server with Christmas Holiday Money. The ecosystem has sucked us in and everything just "works" and we were talking last night how we could never go back to using Windows again. Now if Apple and the Fed Gov could come to an agreement I would be in heaven!

That's funny, sounds a lot like my story. I got the 3G because it was really the only good smartphone out then but then switched to android when the 4 came out. Had three different android phones with the latest being the SIII. I just got tired of all the problems with android and the lack of quality apps compared to apple.

But I got a MBP back in march and ever since my apple products have been snowballing. Now I have 2 apple TVs in the house 3 iPod touches, 2 iPads 2 iPhone 5s. I will be buying mywife a MBA for our anniversary in January as well as a time capsule.

Once someone actually tries apple they will see the quality of their products.

Not to mention Microsoft has really screwed themselves over with how crappy win8 is.

----------

It weird because before all internet fanboyism, people already thought Macs sucked in elementary (I'm a 90's kid). It might be because they had bad. experiences at school which always used Macs

Even my parents who don't know anything about technology had a negative image of Macs until I got one. :confused:

i grew up in the mid 80's and the 90's and I loved the macs in class mostly because of the games. Especially super number munchers!

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
I was actually about to make a post about thinking of going back to an Android phone from my iPhone 5. I'm an apple product fan, had the original iPhone and the 3G, then went to Android for a while.

My reasons for wanting to switch:
1) One phone in particular is calling my name. The HTC One X+ build is in my *opinion* very sexy... and ergonomic.... and substantial. Good hardware and I've always loved HTC phones. I think my iPhone is beautiful. But I really don't like holding it. Sure, it fits in one hand, but it's uncomfortable in that one hand. I do have weird sensory issues though. What is comfortable for some might not be fore me. It's very square and slippery and has harsh lines and honestly is too light for my taste. Maybe I just need a rounded grippy substantial case.

2) Android OS. More customizability. The very simple (to me) ability to have different volumes for phone calls/texts/alerts. More variety of apps like replacement keyboards. I miss SwiftKey so much!

Reasons I want to stay:
1) Availability/variety of cases/accessories. Seemingly infinite options.

2) iOS. Polished, smooth, lots of polished smooth apps. Simplicity.

3) Resale value.

4) iMessage and most people I text have an iPhone. :D

I'll probably stay, at least for a while.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I love iPhones, iPads are pretty neat but I cannot bring myself to get a Mac.

Perhaps when I get a bit older and totally go off PC gaming I will.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
My apple collection is growing too. I'll be honest, I used to make fun of Apple and "fanboys." Especially all those that would stand in line for days waiting for a phone. All that changed when I purchased my IPad (the original one). Like everyone said, once you see the quality you really appreciate it. Since then I have bought a couple iPod touches, the iPad 2, an iPhone 3GS (gift for the husband), and now my own iphone 5 which I woke up at 3am est to preorder. I am also planning to buy a MacBook Pro in about a month (late present to myself only after all other presents for the family are bought). Now I am just trying to decide between a brand new 13in pro or a refurb 15in. Love Apple products now, and I don't think I would buy anything else.

And I have owned an android (HTC EVO 4g) and it was the worst phone I have ever owned. Even my old trac phone back in the day has an argument for being better than the htc. It would randomly shut down and take 15 mins to come back on. It was overly difficult to erase apps from (ended up installing an app to uninstall apps). Would never go back to htc

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I see a common thread in a few of these posts:

• Used to not like Apple products.
  • Chose Android and Windows PCs
  • One day, tried the iPhone, got hooked.
  • Now on third new iPhone, plus but a Mac, iPad, and AppleTV.
  • Can never imagine going back.

This is why I believe that Samsung's current success in marketing and grabbing market share will die off, and Apple will continue to gain converts over the coming years.

The mainstream consumer who bases their choice on advertising, advice, hype and specs may go with Android at first, but put an iPhone in this person's hand after a year with Android, and I believe at least half of them will go "wow, I'm getting an iPhone next time". Apple products have staying power. They truly sell you on the value of quality and a "complete package" from top to bottom. Android does not have that. For some, Android's flexibility is king, but for the mainstream consumer, they just want a device they can trust to work well and easily.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Where did those ROMS originate? I'm sure game companies are okay with us extracting ROMs from game cards. ROMs (for the most part) are all pirated. Now, the people who uses ROMs BUT ALSO own a physical copy of the game itself are few and rare. Even so, it's a gray area of law. Even if I own say a physical Blu-Ray of whatever movie doesn't mean that if I have a pirate copy of it on my hard drive is okay. Seriously, YOU learn what a ROM is, what pirating is and learn to shut up unless you have correct information to share.

Back to the topic of this thread, I do think people have misconceptions about Apple and invariably more so than Android. I have people tell me you can't text message on an iPhone. Someone told me you can't run apps on it (this was iPhone 4 time). Or that you can't put your own music on it except for iTunes bought music. The worst one I've heard so far is that you can't buy the on-contract iPhone in an Apple Store. It's the worst because she loves iPhone but knows NOTHING about it. She didn't know what 4G/3G was, that it had WiFi, that you can use the Internet, etc. Some people are ignorant but hey ignorance is bliss right? That's what I say to all the Android owners who thinks Android is better :D (SARCASM, JOKING, NOT SERIOUS, PLEASE DON'T START A FLAME WAR)

----------

It works because video game companies aren't are persistent as music labels. But that doesn't detract from the fact that both are piracy.

Okay so basically let's remove all opinion and put facts from the US down here.

It is illegal to download ROMS.

It is illegal to possess them (basically, 'own' them in any sense of the word)

It is illegal to distribute ROMS for any reason, including 'lending' it to your friends.

It is NOT legal to have ROMS for 'a 24 hour period and then delete it'. Don't know where this fallacy came from.

It is a legal gray area to have ROMS that you have personally dumped yourself from a copy of the game that you purchased on your own. Many would say it is ethical.

----------

This was my favorite part from Nintendo about emulators are illegal:

"Such emulators have the potential to significantly damage a worldwide entertainment software industry which generates over $15 billion annually, and tens of thousands of jobs."

I don't know about you, but I use emulators for old platforms that are no longer supported or produced anymore so I'm not sure how this is hurting their industry and costing them jobs. What jobs? Who out there is still making SNES or Sega Genesis games?

If anything, emulators are keeping the legacy alive because there probably aren't a lot of working models out there anymore of older hardware.

Oh youre right! Nobody develops Wii games anymore!

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I see a common thread in a few of these posts:

• Used to not like Apple products.
  • Chose Android and Windows PCs
  • One day, tried the iPhone, got hooked.
  • Now on third new iPhone, plus but a Mac, iPad, and AppleTV.
  • Can never imagine going back.

This is why I believe that Samsung's current success in marketing and grabbing market share will die off, and Apple will continue to gain converts over the coming years.

The mainstream consumer who bases their choice on advertising, advice, hype and specs may go with Android at first, but put an iPhone in this person's hand after a year with Android, and I believe at least half of them will go "wow, I'm getting an iPhone next time". Apple products have staying power. They truly sell you on the value of quality and a "complete package" from top to bottom. Android does not have that. For some, Android's flexibility is king, but for the mainstream consumer, they just want a device they can trust to work well and easily.

Yes, but iphone doesnt have a keyboard, so for the people that use the phone for work and need to type emails on the go, the iphone is a no no.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Yes, but iphone doesnt have a keyboard, so for the people that use the phone for work and need to type emails on the go, the iphone is a no no.

I type emails constantly on my iPhone and the virtual keyboard is much easier on my fingers. I believe this is a personal preference so you can't apply it to everyone that sends a lot of emails.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I type emails constantly on my iPhone and the virtual keyboard is much easier on my fingers. I believe this is a personal preference so you can't apply it to everyone that sends a lot of emails.

Well but, you have to develop skills to type well on a virtual keyboard and you can spect mainstream people to achieve this level of skills. If apple would have come up with a second model with a keyboard, Blackberries would have died right after push email became possible on all platforms.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

That's not going to happen while the most popular Samsung models are 1/3 of the price of an iPhone.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
The one that gets me is the argument that "Apples can't run Flash." For one, Macs most certainly can, but Adobe, to the dismay of many Android fanboys, also stopped developing mobile Flash over a year ago because they knew that it sucked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.