Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm restoring my Windows computer back to factory defaults. If I were to sync my iPhone to my computer afterwards, I'd lose everything. Is there a way to prevent that (other than never syncing it)? I seriously don't want to have to redownload it all. I would just transfer it all to a USB but I don't have one with me. Suggestions?

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Sign up for icloud andback everything up to icloud. You get 5gb free. you may already have iCloud. just make sure icloud back ups are turned on. Just make sure you have enough storage to cover your library.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Sign up for icloud andback everything up to icloud. You get 5gb free. you may already have iCloud. just make sure icloud back ups are turned on. Just make sure you have enough storage to cover your library.

When I tried that last time, the music wasn't recovered, just the apps and such. Even if I do back it up, when I plug it into a new computer, it'll get restored/what the computer has on it - being nothing.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
This batch command also makes a copy of my iTunes DB files. After restoring drive, I retrieve the files and am back in business as b4r, no reconfiguring iTunes.

xcopy /m/s/y/i/q "c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes*.*" v:\backup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.