Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I certainly do.... The current regular ipad is too heavy to lug around, whereas the ipad mini compromises too much on its screen size

nharrietha

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Canada
I agree. The only thing that has stopped me from upgrading from my iPad 2 is the weight/thickness of the newer iPads. I like the Mini, but with specs identical to my iPad 2 makes it seem kind of pointless for me to fork out another $500+. When the new iPads are released I'm hoping the Mini will have retina and the big brother will be lighter/thinner, then I will make the upgrade based on my needs.

iToonz

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2012
I agree. The only thing that has stopped me from upgrading from my iPad 2 is the weight/thickness of the newer iPads. I like the Mini, but with specs identical to my iPad 2 makes it seem kind of pointless for me to fork out another $500+. When the new iPads are released I'm hoping the Mini will have retina and the big brother will be lighter/thinner, then I will make the upgrade based on my needs.

Better jump on the wagon now. 12-21-2012 is supposed to be the last day on earth.......:D

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
I certainly do.... The current regular ipad is too heavy to lug around, whereas the ipad mini compromises too much on its screen size

The bezel doesn't have much to do with the weight. It's the thickness packed with all that battery. I'd love to have a lighter large iPad as well. I like mini but find it's still a wee bit too small for tablet apps.

fongyuen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
yeah, after seeing what apple can do with the ipad mini, i'm hoping the next full size one will have thinner bezels too.

bteam

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
It won't happen until they integrate IGZO displays. With less power consumption, Apple should be able to use smaller batteries leading to less weight.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I actually prefer the larger bezel...it gives me somewhere to hold. Sure the iPad could lose a bit of weight but I still went for the iPad 4, it's a powerhouse! Thinner, lighter meh :/ From the front it will still look the same, gorgeous screen and all...

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I actually prefer the larger bezel...it gives me somewhere to hold. Sure the iPad could lose a bit of weight but I still went for the iPad 4, it's a powerhouse! Thinner, lighter meh :/ From the front it will still look the same, gorgeous screen and all...

I agree with you on the bezel size. Considering that the full-size iPad is meant to be held with two hands more often, it would mean that the current bezel is a better option.

But considering that iPhone 5, iPad mini both utilized thinner bezels, I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly thinner bezel, but not overly thinner.

as for the iPad being thin, I don't think we should anything more than 15% thinner. Making it too thin also would affect the heat dissipation. As it is, currently the iPad 4th generation hits temperature around 35C -39C. IGZO & MEMS technology could reduce the power consumption, and reduce the requirement of dual LED backlight to a single LED backlight. As somebody already pointed out, the battery size should come down, thereby reducing the weight. The approach would depend on Apple's plan of just retaining the 10-12 hour, or using the a slightly reduced battery size, and showing a massive improvement in the battery life.

I am hoping for a weight reduction of around 40%, which should bring the weight around 392g from 652g. Anything more would be a bonus.

As for the LTE models, I think they may switch into Qualcomm Gobi MDM9625, which should make it truly LTE friendly.

Can't wait for the launch in mid-2013.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I agree with you on the bezel size. Considering that the full-size iPad is meant to be held with two hands more often, it would mean that the current bezel is a better option.

But considering that iPhone 5, iPad mini both utilized thinner bezels, I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly thinner bezel, but not overly thinner.

as for the iPad being thin, I don't think we should anything more than 15% thinner. Making it too thin also would affect the heat dissipation. As it is, currently the iPad 4th generation hits temperature around 35C -39C. IGZO & MEMS technology could reduce the power consumption, and reduce the requirement of dual LED backlight to a single LED backlight. As somebody already pointed out, the battery size should come down, thereby reducing the weight. The approach would depend on Apple's plan of just retaining the 10-12 hour, or using the a slightly reduced battery size, and showing a massive improvement in the battery life.

I am hoping for a weight reduction of around 40%, which should bring the weight around 392g from 652g. Anything more would be a bonus.

As for the LTE models, I think they may switch into Qualcomm Gobi MDM9625, which should make it truly LTE friendly.

Can't wait for the launch in mid-2013.

I hope ure right with 40% lighter dude!

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Next ipad needs to weigh in at just under a pound with a bezel design similar to the mini. I was at the ipad store...errr..apple store today, and ipad 4 looks about as current as a plastic candy apple imac. Mini getting all the attention.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I very much doubt that the bezel will get thinner soon. They've had plenty of opportunity to do so since the iPad first came out, and it has stayed the same while much of the rest of the design was tweaked and changed.

They could definitely make it a lot lighter as battery and screen tech improves while keeping the bezel the same. I think that would make it a lot easier to hold and use.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The iPad 2's design has been used for the 3 and the 4. It's about time they release a complete redesign, and that's what I'll be getting.

All of Apple's product lineup has been losing weight and getting smaller and thinner over time. It's time for the iPad to follow suit.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I hope ure right with 40% lighter dude!

392 gram looks unlikely at this point. I'd say, at best, 500 grams.

----------

Yep, thinner bezels will really drop the iPad weight. :rolleyes:

Uh, yeah. It would. Arguably, the glass and the aluminum are the heaviest components of an iPad, probably followed by the battery and magnets.

Drastically reduce the bezels would you allow to get rid of a lot of heavy glass - and aluminum.

Combine this with an IGZO display which results in 50% less LED bars and a much lower power consumption (thus a much smaller, and lighter, battery) and we could definitely break through the iPad 2's weight of 601 g.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I very much doubt that the bezel will get thinner soon. They've had plenty of opportunity to do so since the iPad first came out, and it has stayed the same while much of the rest of the design was tweaked and changed.

They could definitely make it a lot lighter as battery and screen tech improves while keeping the bezel the same. I think that would make it a lot easier to hold and use.

Umm,,,no, a thinner bezel will make it easier to hold and use. The Mini is a test to see how the form is received by consumers. The next iPad will follow suit. IZGO will be the thing to make this happen- smaller thinner battery, thinner bezels, current Mini backing.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Umm,,,no, a thinner bezel will make it easier to hold and use. The Mini is a test to see how the form is received by consumers. The next iPad will follow suit. IZGO will be the thing to make this happen- smaller thinner battery, thinner bezels, current Mini backing.

What does IGZO have to do with a thinner bezel on the iPad? The iPad's bezel isn't there for technical reasons, it's a design decision.

If it changes it will be because Apple rethought that decision.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
392 gram looks unlikely at this point. I'd say, at best, 500 grams.

----------

Uh, yeah. It would. Arguably, the glass and the aluminum are the heaviest components of an iPad, probably followed by the battery and magnets.

Drastically reduce the bezels would you allow to get rid of a lot of heavy glass - and aluminum.

Combine this with an IGZO display which results in 50% less LED bars and a much lower power consumption (thus a much smaller, and lighter, battery) and we could definitely break through the iPad 2's weight of 601 g.

500g isnt a groundbreaking figure. a reduction of only around 152g or around 24% based on the current weight seems to be too little. the mini got a 53% reduction. agreed that it doesnt hve the retina and the corresponding battery size but defintely it shld shave more than jz 150g. Like u pointd out..Igzo shld help reduce the battery size and the led backlights...tht shld mean a sufficient drop. add to that the new gf ditto production or in-cell tech ..and a thinner enclosure..all of which shld see a good weight drop. the ipad 2after adding retina nd bigger battery gained 52g..but the mini version with similar specs nd 1.8" less screen weighed 320g with d same tech. this is y i feel is possible to push it around 400g..even though its jz a wish to get around 40%..but even 420g wld b gud enuf..lets keep fingers crossed

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I, for one, don't want the bezel size to change. I have the mini, and when reading ebooks in portrait, I find that the pages will often flip because I inadvertently touch the edge of the screen. Yes, the smart detection that's supposed to reject inadvertent touches sometimes works, but again, sometimes it doesn't.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
The Ipad does get a bit weighty after extended use. You can't do much with the glass without sacrificing durability. If they can reduce the chip count and get lower power consumption, the battery size and much of the weight could be reduced.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
500g isnt a groundbreaking figure. a reduction of only around 152g or around 24% based on the current weight seems to be too little. the mini got a 53% reduction. agreed that it doesnt hve the retina and the corresponding battery size but defintely it shld shave more than jz 150g. Like u pointd out..Igzo shld help reduce the battery size and the led backlights...tht shld mean a sufficient drop. add to that the new gf ditto production or in-cell tech ..and a thinner enclosure..all of which shld see a good weight drop. the ipad 2after adding retina nd bigger battery gained 52g..but the mini version with similar specs nd 1.8" less screen weighed 320g with d same tech. this is y i feel is possible to push it around 400g..even though its jz a wish to get around 40%..but even 420g wld b gud enuf..lets keep fingers crossed
I think you are really thinking about this in the wrong way.

If they started to use IGZO displays, and thus 50% less LEDs and a smaller battery, you'd again reach about the weight of an iPad 2. (The bigger battery + more LEDs were added with the iPad 3). So than we would be at 600 grams.

To shave of another 100 grams is quite difficult. The best way I can imagine to shave lots of weight of is by removing the magnets (for the smart covers), but it appears as if those smart covers sell extremely well so they won't do that.

In-cell-tech will not remove much weight at all. Very little in fact. It's like removing a hair from your head.

Also, let's not forget that they also need to add something new. They won't just give it a redesign and that's it.

but the mini version with similar specs nd 1.8" less screen weighed 320g with d same tech.
Huge mistake here. 1.8" less of screen diagonal is not equal to 1.8 cubic inch less.

Arguably, the glass and the aluminium back are the heaviest components. The iPad mini has a surface of 269 cubic centimeters. The 9.7" iPad has a surface of 448 cubic centimetres. This means the iPad mini carries about a third less glass! And that also means a lot of aluminium is gone.

To go anywhere below 500 grams is tough if you want to continue to use glass and aluminium.

Those things you say: smaller battery, 50% less LEDs, IGZO display, etc. will bring us back around the 600 gram mark. They key is to use as little glass and aluminium as possible.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Would people choose a 9.7" retina screen if it was lighter and thinner over the mini with lower specs? I wonder.
The extra screen real estate is nice- but it still will not fit in a coat pocket.
I use the 9.7 retina at home and the mini on the go.

A retina mini would be perfect- but if we don't get one- I would go back to carrying around a lighter thinner 9.7" and ditch the mini.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I think you are really thinking about this in the wrong way.

If they started to use IGZO displays, and thus 50% less LEDs and a smaller battery, you'd again reach about the weight of an iPad 2. (The bigger battery + more LEDs were added with the iPad 3). So than we would be at 600 grams.

To shave of another 100 grams is quite difficult. The best way I can imagine to shave lots of weight of is by removing the magnets (for the smart covers), but it appears as if those smart covers sell extremely well so they won't do that.

In-cell-tech will not remove much weight at all. Very little in fact. It's like removing a hair from your head.

Also, let's not forget that they also need to add something new. They won't just give it a redesign and that's it.

Huge mistake here. 1.8" less of screen diagonal is not equal to 1.8 cubic inch less.

Arguably, the glass and the aluminium back are the heaviest components. The iPad mini has a surface of 269 cubic centimeters. The 9.7" iPad has a surface of 448 cubic centimetres. This means the iPad mini carries about a third less glass! And that also means a lot of aluminium is gone.

To go anywhere below 500 grams is tough if you want to continue to use glass and aluminium.

Those things you say: smaller battery, 50% less LEDs, IGZO display, etc. will bring us back around the 600 gram mark. They key is to use as little glass and aluminium as possible.

Ok lets not use glass, aluminum, and thick bezel then

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.