Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dozier33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
A friend gave me a PowerBook g4..
1.5 ghz with 512 ram.. Anyone have recommendation for a site selling ram? I just upgraded the os to 10.5.8 runs ok.. However I can tell it really needs the ram.. Thanks

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Upgrade the ram to ATLEAST 1gb - though if I were you I'd max it out with 2gb.
They're great machines! Yours is one of the fastest and you got it for free too!

Dozier33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Upgrade the ram to ATLEAST 1gb - though if I were you I'd max it out with 2gb.
They're great machines! Yours is one of the fastest and you got it for free too!

Yes .. I'm going to Max it out for sure .. It's pristine condition ... Was just sitting for like 4 years he was going to trash it lol.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
1.5 ghz with 512 ram.. Anyone have recommendation for a site selling ram? I just upgraded the os to 10.5.8 runs ok.. However I can tell it really needs the ram.. Thanks
I've had a good experience with Crucial. They have RAM for just about any Mac out there.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY

Wow. I wish I were friends with your friends.

Max it out. I've been getting memory from RamDirect for years. They've been around for years, and they offer RAM for eBay. I got a 1GB stick for my iBook for $21.99.

Dozier33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Quick question. What do you plan on using this Mac for? I'm just wondering.

Well as I said its my first Mac. So I'm not sure of the limitations it's old so probably just emails, web etc..

----------

Wow. I wish I were friends with your friends.

Max it out. I've been getting memory from RamDirect for years. They've been around for years, and they offer RAM for eBay. I got a 1GB stick for my iBook for $21.99.

Thanks I will buy some right now :)

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Congrats on the 1st Mac.

Now install a handy plugin for Safari that will let it play most flash videos without using flash.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/34428/flashtohtml5

Once you've downloaded that, double click on it in the folder and a popup from Safari will ask if you want to install it, click yes. Then set the preferences for maximum resolution to the lowest, which is 320 or so, I forget exactly what it is, I'm not on my older Mac right now. Then you can play Youtube right in the browser and get more life out of the old Mac.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Congrats on the 1st Mac.

Now install a handy plugin for Safari that will let it play most flash videos without using flash.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/34428/flashtohtml5

Once you've downloaded that, double click on it in the folder and a popup from Safari will ask if you want to install it, click yes. Then set the preferences for maximum resolution to the lowest, which is 320 or so, I forget exactly what it is, I'm not on my older Mac right now. Then you can play Youtube right in the browser and get more life out of the old Mac.

Never knew this. Sounds like a good resource.

Does this perform the same function as ClickToFlash? If so, which in your experience is better? Also, can you enable both PlugIns simultaneously without causing problems? Thanks.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Never knew this. Sounds like a good resource.

Does this perform the same function as ClickToFlash? If so, which in your experience is better? Also, can you enable both PlugIns simultaneously without causing problems? Thanks.

ClickToFlash just keeps Flash items from automatically loading, helping load times for webpages. This forces Flash videos to play as HTML5 if there is an HTML5 version. It won't do anything for the Flash ads that some sites use like graffiti all over their webpages.

ClickToFlash should work just fine with this, but I do not have both installed to know.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Well as I said its my first Mac. So I'm not sure of the limitations it's old so probably just emails, web etc..

----------

Thanks I will buy some right now :)

Yeah I doubt it can handle more than email and web surfing. Let me know how the web surfing goes! I'm interested to know how well the performance is with those specs on a Mac.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Yeah I doubt it can handle more than email and web surfing. Let me know how the web surfing goes! I'm interested to know how well the performance is with those specs on a Mac.

Why do you expect so little out of that machine? It would work fine for a lot of things as long as he didn't try to overdue it. That would M&F a great computer with a little more ram and all the latest supported versions of software should run fine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Safari is not your only choice of browser. This, however, is a good suggestion if you do plan to use Safari.

Just making you aware that you are not stuck with Safari if that ultimately is not what you want to end up using.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Instead of Safari, use Leopard Webkit. Visually identical to Safari; the only differences being the increased performance.

hexrr

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Chrome with Adblock installed will be your friend here, oh so fast. That if there's a PPC version, not sure tbh.

Hows the battery life on it?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Chrome with Adblock installed will be your friend here, oh so fast. That if there's a PPC version, not sure tbh.

Hows the battery life on it?

No PowerPC version. Plenty of alternatives- Tenfourfox, firefox and up-to-date, Roccat- weird user interface but fast, Leopard Webkit- Safari interface, ~20% faster then Safari, but not as good as Roccat.

Dozier33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I will say with what little time I have invested with this machine I'm quite impressed.. I will not go back to pc based machine.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Install the G4 optimised version of Camino for web browsing, it's one of the fastest if not the fastest browser around.

I'd also recommend Crucial ram, that's where I get all my ram from, they have fast shipping and are very reliable.

pistooli

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Hungary
That is a very capable machine for casual browsing, email, etc... Just max the ram as others also suggested and enjoy it. :)

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Congratulations. That sounds like a neat computer.

I love how a quality machine maintains its original purpose for many years after it has been labelled "obsolete."

All you can say is, "hey, it still does all the things for which it was intended and many more even!"

Have fun. Welcome to the Mac owners' community.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
I have always used the cheapest compatible ram I could get, many years ago I bought cheap PQI brand memory chips for my desktop PC and have used them ever since, I think it was either 2006 or 2007, however at same time Core 2 Duo E4300 processor was considered as best bang for the buck.

I think that machine is a good introduction to Macs, especially since it was free :) Just imagine that newer machines do everything faster and can use the latest software which PowerPC cannot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.