Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

califlorida

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I have one on order too, and I'm very anxious, but the moaning I'm hearing about this pre-order process is starting to become a bit ridiculous.

It's the first shipment of a high-demand product, and alot of people seem to be assuming that the Apple world is circulating around their own personal order, and custom system. I understand we're all customer's and should be treated with care, but imho Apple is doing a fantastic job, and always has in this regard.

Imagine the immense infrastructure and logistics needed to launch a worldwide product of this magnitude. The initial customers are going the be the "Voices" of the consumer over the next wave of orders.

So, not only do they have to order/manufacture parts, assemble custom machines, and ship them world-wide in a certain amount of time, they also have to try and make sure that this first group of customers is satisfied with their computers. Understand throughout this initial order they processing retail spec generic orders, but also full custom machines with an estimated 80+ configurations.

Please assume that this first order shipment was set and locked within 3-5 days of when ordering went live. They had to first process those orders and weed out all the fraudulent, declined, cancelled purchases. Then once they had a pretty accurate total of what they need to get on that first cargo ship, they immediately started the production line from their own factories, and coordinate stock/ordering from all their 3rd party suppliers.

What if they were expecting 150,000 initial orders, and got 250,000? That's alot of screens that were already in short supply.

I hear people moaning because they changed their order, and now their shipment is delayed? WTF To assume that Apple is going to stop this whole process and fix your order, and put you right back in the cue is ludicrous. If you ordered a new car direct from the factory, and changed your mind right before the build was to start, believe me your auto order will be delayed. No difference in this case.

When you're dealing with so many pieces, that need to come together at once, you need to keep some sort of guidance and structure to move forward. Apple is one of the best customer service related companies I've ever dealt with, and their product releases are massive global scale events.

Just be happy that those who ordered first, and made up our minds on what we wanted, seem to be on schedule for the promised delivery. In this age of mass consumerism, that's all we can hope for, and to repeat Apple does it better than 90% of the companies out there. I could understand if all of us in the initial cue got emails that said we wouldn't receive them until January, but from where I'm sitting that doesn't look like the case. We all seem to be sitting with the same dates as when we ordered, and some even expedited further.

It's the holidays, lighten up, and look forward to the day you will open your new computer. Things could be much worse, there's many who couldn't afford to buy one of these if they tried.

***Disclaimer I've been guilty as well -- this is coming from somebody who ordered in the first 10 minutes. I have a 21-28th date, called customer support to try and expedite quicker, and even called a colleague at corporate to see if he could do anything to get mine in my hands sooner.

I've now come to peace with the fact it will arrive when it arrives. I'm passing the time knowing that this delay is making sure I get what I want, and that it works how I want it to. I'm also spending the time testing various pieces of my software with Mountain Lion so as to have a better transition when it arrives.

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
and even called a colleague at corporate to see if he could do anything to get mine in my hands sooner.

If you say so. Anyone that claims they have someone high in apple would know that what you claim could never happen unless you was Obama etc.
keep dreaming.
You just tried to make yourself look like you have connection in Apple. BIG FAIL KEEP DREAMING

bayleaves

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Silicon Valley
Don't read it

Or if you don't like reading posts about the delivery timing of the 27" iMacs, you could just not read them. That might be a tad easier than getting everyone to conform to your will. Since this is the MacRumors iMac forum, probably people are going to keep discussing the delivery times whether you approve or not. ;)

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I have one on order too, and I'm very anxious, but the moaning I'm hearing about this pre-order process is starting to become a bit ridiculous.

It's the first shipment of a high-demand product, and alot of people seem to be assuming that the Apple world is circulating around their own personal order, and custom system. I understand we're all customer's and should be treated with care, but imho Apple is doing a fantastic job, and always has in this regard.

Imagine the immense infrastructure and logistics needed to launch a worldwide product of this magnitude. The initial customers are going the be the "Voices" of the consumer over the next wave of orders.

So, not only do they have to order/manufacture parts, assemble custom machines, and ship them world-wide in a certain amount of time, they also have to try and make sure that this first group of customers is satisfied with their computers. Understand throughout this initial order they processing retail spec generic orders, but also full custom machines with an estimated 80+ configurations.

Please assume that this first order shipment was set and locked within 3-5 days of when ordering went live. They had to first process those orders and weed out all the fraudulent, declined, cancelled purchases. Then once they had a pretty accurate total of what they need to get on that first cargo ship, they immediately started the production line from their own factories, and coordinate stock/ordering from all their 3rd party suppliers.

What if they were expecting 150,000 initial orders, and got 250,000? That's alot of screens that were already in short supply.

I hear people moaning because they changed their order, and now their shipment is delayed? WTF To assume that Apple is going to stop this whole process and fix your order, and put you right back in the cue is ludicrous. If you ordered a new car direct from the factory, and changed your mind right before the build was to start, believe me your auto order will be delayed. No difference in this case.

When you're dealing with so many pieces, that need to come together at once, you need to keep some sort of guidance and structure to move forward. Apple is one of the best customer service related companies I've ever dealt with, and their product releases are massive global scale events.

Just be happy that those who ordered first, and made up our minds on what we wanted, seem to be on schedule for the promised delivery. In this age of mass consumerism, that's all we can hope for, and to repeat Apple does it better than 90% of the companies out there. I could understand if all of us in the initial cue got emails that said we wouldn't receive them until January, but from where I'm sitting that doesn't look like the case. We all seem to be sitting with the same dates as when we ordered, and some even expedited further.

It's the holidays, lighten up, and look forward to the day you will open your new computer. Things could be much worse, there's many who couldn't afford to buy one of these if they tried.

***Disclaimer I've been guilty as well -- this is coming from somebody who ordered in the first 10 minutes. I have a 21-28th date, called customer support to try and expedite quicker, and even called a colleague at corporate to see if he could do anything to get mine in my hands sooner.

I've now come to peace with the fact it will arrive when it arrives. I'm passing the time knowing that this delay is making sure I get what I want, and that it works how I want it to. I'm also spending the time testing various pieces of my software with Mountain Lion so as to have a better transition when it arrives.

That's not a message, that's a book!
Try again with something shorter, maybe I'll read it then, although unlikely...

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I read the whole thing... I've always sort of wondered how the BTO manufacturing works. Like if they have lines producing exclusively certain combos or something, or they start with certain motherboards and processors, then the line splits into configurations with 1TB vs. 3TB drives, etc. it really is a logistical feat for all of this, though.

Deanobear

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I couldn't agree more with the OP - it arrives, when it arrives - it's not like it's a new heart, liver or kidney - those things you might need instantly, your new iMac can wait a few days - and yes I'm waiting breathlessly for the email to say "your mac has shipped" - not so much for the delivery date, just so much as I can be home for it to arrive. ;)

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Also, it's not really anything ground breaking or earth shattering. You'll get it delivered, open it and take it out of the box (probably the best part TBH), put it on your desk, plug it in, then turn it on.

Then you put it your iCloud ID and have everything synced. You'll play with it for 20 min then put it to sleep and go sit on the couch and watch TV.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Dude, you need a blog. Or a twitter account.
We get it, patience is a virtue but a lost art with kids today.

zemzabob

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
I hate to wait but to be honest it makes receiving it that much better, kinda like waiting for Christmas morning when I was I kid bitter sweet!

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

you remind me of a person that had a blast being on drugs , but now is telling everyone they should stay off drugs , because you are unable to do them anymore .

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I'm sticking with my 2011 27" iMac but I'm still looking forward to the inevitable 2011 vs 2012 iMac shoot out comparison at Bare Feats.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

The older I get (I'm almost 60), the sillier this pre-order stuff gets. After all, it's just a computer, right?

Oh, heck, that's BS. I'm checking my order and reading all the threads here multiple times each day looking for something to change. Truth is, all the anticipatory activity is sort of fun and makes me feel like a kid again.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
The older I get (I'm almost 60), the sillier this pre-order stuff gets. After all, it's just a computer, right?

Oh, heck, that's BS. I'm checking my order and reading all the threads here multiple times each day looking for something to change. Truth is, all the anticipatory activity is sort of fun and makes me feel like a kid again.

at your advanced age I dont blame you ... :D

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009

Indeed i agree :D every time I buy a new apple product that I've been waiting for, I become completely childish again. Though my family don't notice I'm probably as anxious to get my order as my kids are anxious to open Xmas presents. And I'm 36 ;)

So yeah let us behave stupid! It's one the things I love spending money on... And this suspension makes all a lot of fun.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Im getting so impatient that if a 2011 balls out iMac pops up ,I just may order it and cancel the new iMac slim . but I love feeling like a kid impatiently waiting for my new toy

EK23

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I want to make sure I have this correct. A guy that was so impatient, who had the audacity to call the corporate office to try to expedite his own personal order, is now writing a diatribe telling others to be patient? Does that about sum it up?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I want to make sure I have this correct. A guy that was so impatient, who had the audacity to call the corporate office to try to expedite his own personal order, is now writing a diatribe telling others to be patient? Does that about sum it up?

Ouch even I haven't called apple and nagged, nor will I do it. Ill just use this forum to release steam

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Link /

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.