Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I just want to talk about the Apple Atmosphere, and the reasons, beyond the hardware, software, ease of use, build quality, and style of Apple products.

It's the atmosphere around Apple that keeps me coming back for more. As I stated just there, despite all the other reasons for using an Apple product, there's just something else surrounding it that makes it impossible to leave once you notice it.

It's the way that, when you sit down at a table with your MacBook, and people come up to you and go 'Oh my gosh is that a MacBook? What do you love about it?' and being able to genuinely look at them and say 'Everything.'

It's the way that, when you're standing on the subway and someone looks over and says 'Is that the new iPhone?! It's so cool, can I see it/hold it/check the screen/camera/weight/design?'

It's the way that, when you have an issue with your phone, or your desktop, or your laptop, or your cables, Apple apologises profusely and will send you a replacement before you send yours. Pretty much every other customer service experience is something truly horrifying, and places the blame on the customer rather than the company creating the defective product.

It's the way that, when you drop your phone in the toilet, on the screen and shatter it, drive off with your MacBook Air on the roof of your car and realise 3 blocks away, spill apple juice all over your brand new MacBook Pro, sometimes, the giant multinational, multi-billion dollar company does what it can afford to, and what it doesn't have to, and will replace it for free.

It's the way that, when you see someone else with a brand new MacBook, a brand new iPhone, you give each other that little smile and nod because of the mutual understanding that goes on with Apple products.

It's the way that, when the old lady buys a MacBook pro for herself on her 80th birthday and first birthday without her spouse in the Apple Store, the Geniuses get the entire store to sing happy birthday to her to brighten up her day just that little bit more.

It's the way that, when you hear the phrases 'Thinner and lighter', 'you're holding it wrong', 'there's one more thing', you will always recognise it, and maybe smile a little, in your head or on the outside.

It's all of these things that really aren't present with any other company, any other products that make Apple that much better, above all the other, practical reasons.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I just threw up a little in my mouth.

In all seriousness, good post but favoring one company too much just isn't smart, Apple or not.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Actually, I have a shrine in my home to Apple.

I genuflect before it many times a day.

It creates...I don't know...an atmosphere of something GREAT in my home, and in my life.

The greatness of Apple uplifts me and makes my life worth living.

:rolleyes: ;) :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It's precisely the "Apple atmosphere" (or the illusion people seem to have that there even is one) that actually makes me loathe owning Apple gear sometimes. I buy Apple despite that "religion" crap I might get associated to.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
It's precisely the "Apple atmosphere" (or the illusion people seem to have that there even is one) that actually makes me loathe owning Apple gear sometimes. I buy Apple despite that "religion" crap I might get associated to.

Agreed.

To many people who own Apple products follow it like some kind of savior or church or religion or whatever. And think Steve Jobs created the entire computer industry.

I've been lucky enough to never have someone ask me something about any of my Apple products, except for when I got my iPhone 3GS, a co worker said " well welcome to the iPhone community ", I literally wanted to murder him with a shovel.

----------

I just want to talk about the Apple Atmosphere, and the reasons, beyond the hardware, software, ease of use, build quality, and style of Apple products.

The hardware is the same as any product, Apple has nice software for sure, Ease of use is debatable, but very good for lots of people. Style is the big one

It's the way that, when you sit down at a table with your MacBook, and people come up to you and go 'Oh my gosh is that a MacBook? What do you love about it?' and being able to genuinely look at them and say 'Everything.'

I've owned Apple laptops throughout the years, and I've never heard anyone say that, and I would be worried for their mental health if they were impressed by a laptop. A cheap disposable item.

It's the atmosphere around Apple that keeps me coming back for more. As I stated just there, despite all the other reasons for using an Apple product, there's just something else surrounding it that makes it impossible to leave once you notice it.

I personally buy whatever suits me best. Sometimes its Apple, sometimes its not.

It's the way that, when you have an issue with your phone, or your desktop, or your laptop, or your cables, Apple apologises profusely and will send you a replacement before you send yours. Pretty much every other customer service experience is something truly horrifying, and places the blame on the customer rather than the company creating the defective product.

My customer service has been hit or miss personally, sometimes very good and sometimes very bad.

It's the way that, when you drop your phone in the toilet, on the screen and shatter it, drive off with your MacBook Air on the roof of your car and realise 3 blocks away, spill apple juice all over your brand new MacBook Pro, sometimes, the giant multinational, multi-billion dollar company does what it can afford to, and what it doesn't have to, and will replace it for free.

Sometimes, sometimes not.

It's the way that, when the old lady buys a MacBook pro for herself on her 80th birthday and first birthday without her spouse in the Apple Store, the Geniuses get the entire store to sing happy birthday to her to brighten up her day just that little bit more.

Pretty much every Restaurant does that.

It's the way that, when you hear the phrases 'Thinner and lighter', 'you're holding it wrong', 'there's one more thing', you will always recognise it, and maybe smile a little, in your head or on the outside.

So you enjoy flaws in products?

It's all of these things that really aren't present with any other company, any other products that make Apple that much better, above all the other, practical reasons.

You are a victim of Apples marketing.

...................................................................................................

Anyway, Apple makes some good stuff, but their fan base is...interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Apple's done fine by me, and I've done fine by Apple.

Ever notice:

Folks at a cafe with Apple laptops are fine running from battery, PC laptops not so much.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Interesting all the comments calling me a victim of marketing.

I don't pay attention to any of Apple's marketing. I simply buy products that I enjoy

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
Apple makes some good well built stuff OP, no one will deny that. But wow, your post.

How much is Apple paying you, and where can I cash into this as well?

I'll say a couple of nice things about Apple for a couple of bucks.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I just threw up a little in my mouth.

In all seriousness, good post but favoring one company too much just isn't smart, Apple or not.

This. Apple is so successful at indoctrinating legions of mindless fandom.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
I agree Apple products are very cool, as the Apple folks excel at design. Obviously, they also excel at sales, and have successfully created great buzz for their brand. Imho, this is the legacy of Steve Jobs, as design and sales were his genius.

However, I must report I no longer buy anything bigger than adapters etc from Apple.

I was puzzled by your report of Apple apologizing profusely, as in 17 years I've received a number of brand new but faulty macs, and have never received any hint of apology from anybody at Apple. They do honor warrantys, but much of the burden still falls on the buyer.

I also perceive a pretty strong "the user is always wrong" culture from both Apple and Apple users. I've seen novice users ripped to shreds online, because they didn't read "obscure technical document #12484746bx9tyyb" as they tried to explore a mac experience sold as being point and click simple.

The solution for me has been to buy cheap used macs from a reputable dealer. I still get a warranty (shorter time) and because of the much lower price, I worry much less.

I've been unable to see any difference in reliability between new and used machines, it's a crap shoot either way. Just got a used laptop for about a third of the new price, it works great.

Older machines are a fantastic bargain for those who are just surfing the web and reading email. Imho, it makes little sense to buy a new mac for these tasks, which is all most people are doing with their computers these days.

This strategy won't work for those who require the latest greatest features of course.

My main reservation about Apple is hardware reliability. As example, I just bought an adapter from Apple, and found about a million complaints in the comments section for that product. For a $20 product, I don't sweat it. But the days of me giving Apple $2,000 are behind me.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Interesting all the comments calling me a victim of marketing.

I don't pay attention to any of Apple's marketing. I simply buy products that I enjoy

And yet one of your paragraphs refered to smiling when you hear things like "thinner and lighter"? Contradiction? But yes, I agree with most of the posters here, you seem a little too wrapped up in the brand and have forgotten that at the end of the day its still just a computer, a phone, or an mp3 player. Its a tool to help you with things, not the thing that defines you.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
As much as I enjoy using Apple products (partially down the excellent care I've received from the company over the years), the whole culture or "atmosphere" as you call it, never sat well with me.

Especially now where Apple's current popularity is attracting the kind of shallow douche who will buy an iPhone/MacBook just to be seen with it.

I just find it weird that people can define themselves or others by what products they use.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I just find it weird that people can define themselves or others by what products they use.

It's everywhere. Cars, clothing, jewellery, you name it. You know it. You're prone to it:

People buy stuff not only because we rationally decide to make the choice, but also (more so...?) because we are influenced by far more motives.
That's what marketing and creating a hype is all about. Duh.

Apple really is master at this. Apple does an excellent job of creating an image and identity for the products. From the name to the user experience: we all recognise these products as Apple products.
And, more importantly, for in the long term, the products generally are very good.
Image, identity, value, consistency, beauty, usefulness... (and more..) all add up. The fact that XboxMySocks says what he says means a lot. I understand that others dismiss such an opinion, but it's a relevant opinion which speaks for many more out there!
Why else the huge crowds whenever Apple has something to show? Opening of a flagship AppleStore, a new phone, a new tablet...

Other brands have this too. But not so much, and not always. Apple is master at this. People "get" Apple.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I actually think of all those things as major coins. I actually hate bringing Mac laptops in public for those exact reasons.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

It creates...I don't know...an atmosphere of something GREAT in my home, and in my life.

Apple, a reason to get out of bed each morning. :D

OK not really, I get out of bed to go to the restroom and let my dog out.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

I agree. Ever since buying my Mac, iPhone and iPad, life has seemed a little better. The sun shines brighter, food tastes better and I sleep soundly at night. Hell, even my car is more fuel efficient now.

:p

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I agree. Ever since buying my Mac, iPhone and iPad, live has seemed a little better. The sun shines brighter, food tastes better and I sleep soundly at night. Hell, even my car is more fuel efficient now.

:p

Amazing, isn't it!?

And all that for just several thousand of your hard earned pounds!

:rolleyes::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.