Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
For all the people who've now had the mini for a few weeks time, have you tried going back to ipad 3/4?

I just did this a few days back, and now my mind is in utter shock and completely indecisive as to which product I want to keep.

I actually really missed the screen real estate, or I think I did. I'm having a hard time deciding whether its that or the lack of retina. Also, playing games again on the larger screen, having text and everything just bit large enough, it's really tempting now to switch back.

What do you guys think? Has anyone actually sat down once again to compare them?

-One other thing bugging me is how much a mini interferes with the iPhone. I like to have separation of devices, and when a device is semi-easy enough to be with me and supplement things I do on the iPhone itself, it starts making me crazy even more lmao:p

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
For all the people who've now had the mini for a few weeks time, have you tried going back to ipad 3/4?

I just did this a few days back, and now my mind is in utter shock and completely indecisive as to which product I want to keep.

I actually really missed the screen real estate, or I think I did. I'm having a hard time deciding whether its that or the lack of retina. Also, playing games again on the larger screen, having text and everything just bit large enough, it's really tempting now to switch back.

What do you guys think? Has anyone actually sat down once again to compare them?

-One other thing bugging me is how much a mini interferes with the iPhone. I like to have separation of devices, and when a device is semi-easy enough to be with me and supplement things I do on the iPhone itself, it starts making me crazy even more lmao:p

Based on what you just posted, I think the iPad 4 is a better bet for you. If the mini drives you crazy even more, then it is not the device for you :)

Duwsh

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
The fact you're deciding between the iPad Mini, a £270 tablet and an iPad 4, a £400 tablet means I feel good about me deciding to get the Mini over the Nexus 7.

I think you should use the 4 also.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm just keeping both my 3 and the mini, and switching between them as the mood strikes me. I do plan to turn off the data plan on the 3 and turn it on on the mini, as the mini is so much more convenient to carry outside the house, so I think the 3 will mostly stay at home.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
You're not going crazy. It's actually a damn difficult decision to make IMO.

I pre-ordered the mini, and immediately loved it.

Then after about three weeks of reading (here) how much 'better' the 4 is, I had to see it for myself. So I bought one, and am very impressed with it too.

Having both didn't seem all that practical. Although the 4 is great, I didn't really prefer it over the mini. But if I was gonna keep only one... might as well be the 'better' one.... right?

So I put the mini on ebay. Wait, the story gets worse.

The auction ended (bid up to over $400US) but the buyer wants to back out because he "thought it was a cellular unit". Sigh.

I had reset and boxed up the mini right after I listed it. So it sat there on my counter untouched for about a week. I was happily using the 4 during this time. Didn't miss the mini....didn't really even think about it.

Then yesterday morning, while thinking about relisting it on ebay, I get to thinking that maybe I should just keep it around as a backup? Not my best idea ever, but hell, why not?

So I unboxed it, again, and restored it from icloud backup. Haven't been able to put it down since! Can't believe I ever considered selling it! What was I thinking?

I know... first world problems and all that. But that's how it happened. Dunno if I'll ever get around to selling one of them again. But it won't be today.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
The larger iPad I've been using all along, never once did I felt it was too big or too heavy. I have no issues taking it with me out and about. With the introduction of the mini, the smaller form factor and weight loss was a nice welcome. It's nice, but to me, it was a compromise I wasn't really willing to make, compared to what the iPad 3 had to offer. To me, the iPad 3 provided all the essentials, foundation, and features I come to expect from an iPad experience. The iPad mini was refreshing, but it was not a must have item.

If I could only choose one, it would definitely be the iPad 3 over the iPad mini, even if they were both released at the same time. I know down the road though once the mini goes through natural progressive improvement (higher quality display and resolution) I will pick one up to complement the larger iPad.

99% of the time my iPad is with me at home, so size and weight isn't really as big a consideration to me as the quality of the display that will affect my overall user experience.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If I could only choose one, it would definitely be the iPad 3 over the iPad mini,

Same here. I can afford to keep both, so I'm keeping both, but if push comes to shove, for me the larger screen of the iPad 3 is definitely worth the minor inconvenience of the additional weight. That would be true even if the iPad 3 screen were not retina. Just the extra screen real estate makes it that much more easier to see and use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.