Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I just downloaded geekbench for my iPhone 5 and it seems to give sort of random results. First time I ran it, I got a 1660. Then the next day I ran it for a friend to show him and I got a 970. Then I ran it right after that and I got a 1605.

Same thing happened today. Is this normal? Something wrong with my phone?
An explanation would be much appreciated!

drakestan

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
I just downloaded geekbench for my iPhone 5 and it seems to give sort of random results. First time I ran it, I got a 1660. Then the next day I ran it for a friend to show him and I got a 970. Then I ran it right after that and I got a 1605.

Same thing happened today. Is this normal? Something wrong with my phone?
An explanation would be much appreciated!

Hardware failure, get it replaced. Tell them that you ran a benchmark test and it keeps giving you a range of scores.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hardware failure, get it replaced. Tell them that you ran a benchmark test and it keeps giving you a range of scores.

Lol. No, the benchmark could have been running while something else was taking up processor cycles. Unless you notice definite lag there's no reason to get a replacement. Even if there is lag, try a restore first.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Geekbench is all over the place on my computer also. Clocks my rMBP @ 11,000 sometimes. Sometimes it's under 9,000.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Thanks for the reply. There were no apps I had open while running the test. But the phone is definitely not laggy.

I've never ran a benchmark before, so I don't know how it's supposed to be.

I downloaded it because my overly geeky friend wanted to compare it to his new droid.

Just trying to make sure everything is ok with my phone :)

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure the processor in the iPhone 5 dynamically clocks its speed to conserve battery life while performing tasks that don't need as much power. It looks like everything is A-OK with your device. :apple:

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I'm pretty sure the processor in the iPhone 5 dynamically clocks its speed to conserve battery life while performing tasks that don't need as much power. It looks like everything is A-OK with your device. :apple:

That makes sense. Good to know! Thank you.

As an aside, it's unfortunate and sad that some people take it upon themselves to answer sarcastically and make snarky comments when someone is asking for help about something they don't know about.

drakestan

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
Lol. No, the benchmark could have been running while something else was taking up processor cycles. Unless you notice definite lag there's no reason to get a replacement. Even if there is lag, try a restore first.

It was a joke. Stop freaking out about benchmark scores OP

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
It's just a geekbench.
It's nothing crucial, or meaning at all.
Use the phone, as long as all the features are working fine and the user experience is great I don't see a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.