Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duwsh

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Hey I am new here, I'll do a very small introduction for myself; I am Mike and I am getting an iPad Mini this christmas, I'm not a first time iOS user as I had an iPod Touch 2nd Generation and had a iPhone 3GS last year for a few months.

Anyway onto my question, after doing some research I found people thought that the 5w charger that comes with the iPad Mini just isn't delivering the juice fast enough and I was wondering if a 10w charger would do it any better, would the Mini be compatible with it? Thanks. :apple:

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Contrary to popular belief. An ipad mini will still use 5W even on the 10W charger.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have both an iPad 3 and an iPad mini. I find that when I use the charger from the iPad 3 to charge the mini it charges up almost twice as fast. I asked at the Apple Store if this would harm the mini in anyway and they said that it wouldn't. So far I have not had any issues with it. I also use the iPad 3 charger at times to charge my iPhone 5.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have both the iPad Mini and an iPhone 5 along with an iPad 3. I have noticed that there IS a difference, yes, with using the 10W charger that came with the iPad 3 when charging my iPad Mini. I haven't even taken the 5W charger that came with the Mini out of the box, as I don't need it. In fact, now I am actually using the new 12W charger with both the iPad 3 (which tends to charge slowly on the 10W charger) and the iPad Mini. Both do just fine on it. I haven't tried the iPhone on it but presumably it would work well, too.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
I find if I charge my iPhone with my iPad charger, not only does it charge faster but it also discharges faster. Probably in my head

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The device controls the charge rate, not the charger. That being said...

The iPad Mini probably charges significantly faster with the iPad's 10W or 12W charger. I know my iPhone 4S's charge time was cut by at least 30 minutes when using the 10W charger.

My Galaxy Nexus charges seven times faster on a 2.1A wall charger compared to an iPhone charger.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It may charge faster, but if you plan on just charging it overnight than don't bother - saving 30 min won't make a difference in that scenario. Regardless, using the 10W or new 12W AC adapter will not harm your iPad mini (or iPhone for that matter).

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have both the iPad Mini and an iPhone 5 along with an iPad 3. I have noticed that there IS a difference, yes, with using the 10W charger that came with the iPad 3 when charging my iPad Mini. I haven't even taken the 5W charger that came with the Mini out of the box, as I don't need it. In fact, now I am actually using the new 12W charger with both the iPad 3 (which tends to charge slowly on the 10W charger) and the iPad Mini. Both do just fine on it. I haven't tried the iPhone on it but presumably it would work well, too.

Using the 12 W or the 10 W to charge your iphone doesn't charge your phone faster. It will still draw 5W only regardless. InsanelyGreatMac did a review and showed that even when he plugs in the iphone 5 to the 12 W, it only draws 5 W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4gPxc89Wg

I have yet to find out how much the iPad Mini draws with the 12 W. Thus I tried asking this guy but didn't get any replies so I'm still awaiting. Currently I'm using the 5W that it came with to charge my ipad and I usually charge it overnight when I'm sleeping and typically it's fully charged in the morning. So really I can live with a 5 W to charge my ipad mini.

Last edited:

PhoneandPad

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Is this the right thread to add a related question to? If not please redirect!

Here goes: The missus is getting an iPad mini soon, to add to a household full of standard apple USB charger cables. We even keep these cables in the cars as they only cost £1 each in the UK. We have lots of legacy Apple items using these.

With the arrival of the iPad mini, what is the best way to leverage all the existing cables - can they all be used with a CHEAP old Apple cable > new Apple socket adapter (as I'll want at least 3)?

Or are the cheap USB charger cables coming onto Ebay safe/reliable at least for charging the new type connector iThings?

We are not keen on buying a load of £25 (USD $40) cables/charges for 'convenience' and 'just in case' locations.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
We are not keen on buying a load of £25 (USD $40) cables/charges for 'convenience' and 'just in case' locations.

Given the lightning to 30-pin adapters are US$29, and a USB to lightning is US$19, I'd be inclined not to waste money on the adapters. Eventually, all your iDevices will be lightning, and I doubt you'd want a lot of cable/adapter combos around for years.

I intend to live with less "convenience" cables for a while until they multiply again as they do.

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.