Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
I'm due for an upgrade but can't decide between a 4S or a 5.

Either way I go I would like to get a 32 GB model. I have a 16 GB model iPhone 4 right now and have less than 1 GB left.

There's a couple Best Buys near me that have the 4S in stock but they are really limited.

Also since the 32GB 4S is so limited what if something went wrong with it and I had to exchange it?

Any advice is appreciated.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Lets see...

One:

Is more than twice as fast
Is Thinner
Is Lighter
Has LTE
Has a bigger/better calibrated screen
Utilizes 5Ghz Wi-fi N networks
Has 1GB of RAM
Uses current charging technology
Has a sapphire camera lens/Upgraded FaceTime camera
Has a better speaker
Has better noise cancellation
Has better battery life

And, oh yea, if you abuse it it can develop "scuffs" slightly easier than that material they use on the back of the 4S (that never shatters or cracks).

Not to mention it's worth twice as much on the secondary market (because 99% of the normal world realizes that the "problems" with the 5 have largely been cooked up by either the OCD crowd or Android users pretending they have issues). Are there some? Probably, but they are NOT the norm (and if you get one, just take it back... it's not like they force you to keep it if the screen is bad or something lol...).

I loved my 4S, but it is NO comparison.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
iPhone 5. Going from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4S is not really "wow". You'll only notice faster speeds, but not any real new functionality. Going from an iPhone 4 to 5: new design, bigger display, even faster CPU, awesome GPU, aluminium that doesn't crack/break, better display in general (in-cell, less reflections, better colours, higher brightness).

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Is this even up for debate?

Go pick up a refurb 5 on AT&T's website. $99 for 16gb and $199 for 32gb.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I'd go with a 4S. unless you'll be downloading apps OTA (which are capped at 50mb anyway) or lots of music OTA, or you somehow have LTE but no 3G in your area, then LTE is just for bragging. But if you're a heavy mobile gamer, then the iphone 5 is better. Otherwise I'd get the 4S and do something more useful with the extra money (charity? Invest? Buy new underwear?)

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I would go for 5 if I were you.Besides the huge differences between 4S and 5 in techinical aspect you ll understand what I am saying when you touch it.I had 4S and when I touched it was sooo light that I couldnt believe and definetly want one :D

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
You don't want to lock yourself into a 2 year deal with a phone that is already a year old.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I was about to buy in iPhone 5. I was in the store and playing with it but then pulled out my 4S and realized it wasn't worth it.

The bigger screen just adds more icons and a lot of apps haven't been updated for it yet. I would've liked LTE but wasn't going to drop that much money for 1 new useful feature. I was actually super excited to get it since it was announced but right then I realized I was just under the marketing spell and couldn't justify spending the money.

Maybe I'll change my mind in a few months or just wait for the next one, but I realized that the 4S is a great phone and already does everything I need. I recommend just weighing the extra costs vs benefits, the 4S might be all that you need.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Going from 4S -> 5? Unless you need LTE or 16:9 then it doesn't really seem worth it

Going from a 4 -> 5? Definitely. If you get a 4S as an upgrade to a 4 I think you will be left disappointed and will end up regretting your decision.

Get a 5. You will love the speed (UI, apps, LTE) and probably will appreciate the move to a 16:9 screen if you watch a lot of video on your phone.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I was about to buy in iPhone 5. I was in the store and playing with it but then pulled out my 4S and realized it wasn't worth it.

The bigger screen just adds more icons and a lot of apps haven't been updated for it yet. I would've liked LTE but wasn't going jto drop that much money for 1 new useful feature. I was actually super excited to get it since it was announced but right then I realized I was just under the marketing spell and couldn't justify spending the money.

Maybe I'll change my mind in a few months or just wait for the next one, but I realized that the 4S is a great phone and already does everything I need. I recommend just weighing the extra costs vs benefits, the 4S might be all that you need.

We have 3 full months of reviews. Folks here in this forum concur with the mainstream press, 4->5 Good. 4s->5 perhaps not.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Go with the 5. If anything, you could always resell it and use the earnings to buy the 4S while pocketing the rest of the earnings. I wouldn't use a carrier upgrade for the 4S.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What could go wrong with the 4S?

Sounds to me you are just looking for excuses to support the decision you have already made - to buy the iphone 5

This and this.

Buy the iPhone 5 and tomorrow I recommend biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
Thanks so much for all the replies!

I was actually kinda leaning towards the 4S but some of you guys bring up some really good points. The thing that scares me about the 32 GB 4S is it's no longer in production so an Apple guy told me.

So say I had some kind of technical issue or something went wrong with the phone I'm not sure how they would replace it if I was within my return period?

The thing that's scares me about the 5 is I've heard so much negative things about it such as scuffs bending wifi signal drops and the screen freezing up when scrolling fast. But like some of you said some of those problems are being over exaggerated.

Say I go with the 5 is there something in the serial number I should look for or ask for?

Last edited:

adm.hpe

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Lets see...

One:

Is more than twice as fast
Is Thinner
Is Lighter
Has LTE
Has a bigger/better calibrated screen
Utilizes 5Ghz Wi-fi N networks
Has 1GB of RAM
Uses current charging technology
Has a sapphire camera lens/Upgraded FaceTime camera
Has a better speaker
Has better noise cancellation
Has better battery life

And, oh yea, if you abuse it it can develop "scuffs" slightly easier than that material they use on the back of the 4S (that never shatters or cracks).

Not to mention it's worth twice as much on the secondary market (because 99% of the normal world realizes that the "problems" with the 5 have largely been cooked up by either the OCD crowd or Android users pretending they have issues). Are there some? Probably, but they are NOT the norm (and if you get one, just take it back... it's not like they force you to keep it if the screen is bad or something lol...).

I loved my 4S, but it is NO comparison.

It's gotta be a 5. What's the point in getting a 4s, you know you'll kick yourself for not getting a 5

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It's gotta be a 5. What's the point in getting a 4s, you know you'll kick yourself for not getting a 5

Not everyone needs the latest, the greatest and the greatest. If you do not have enough cash presently, there's nothing wrong getting the 4S. The camera is around the same, the iPhone 5 is just marginally faster, larger screen may not be a big deal to some and more often than not, HSPA+ speeds are more than enough for anything on the iPhone.

Essentially, it's not entirely a downright "stupid" choice.

adm.hpe

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Not everyone needs the latest, the greatest and the greatest. If you do not have enough cash presently, there's nothing wrong getting the 4S. The camera is around the same, the iPhone 5 is just marginally faster, larger screen may not be a big deal to some and more often than not, HSPA+ speeds are more than enough for anything on the iPhone.

Essentially, it's not entirely a downright "stupid" choice.

I didn't say it was a stupid choice. I am merely speaking from experience, when going for a lower end phone, I've regretted not getting the top specs. It's worth the wait (saving up if needbe) for the 5 IMHO.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I bought a new 4S rather than the new 5 simply because of all the issues with this new model (I won't bore you with the long list). Mainly, though, it's prone to bend and it will look like hell with normal use in a year (I hate white, so it would be the black model for me). And having to put a case on such a beautiful device to keep the cheap finish from wearing off is idiotic.

If you're not hard on your phone at all or you keep it in your purse, go for the 5.

I'm hoping they have most of these issues fixed in the 5S. Then I'll grab one.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I don't see any reason to ever get the older model phone when you're getting it at a subsidized price. The real cost of the phone is in the $100+ monthly bill that you will be paying regardless of which phone you get. Might as well get the latest and greatest if there is only a $100 difference between a whole year of technology.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i have both and my iPhone 4S looks like a fat bulky tamagochi toy next to the iPhone 5. got so used to the bigger screen and lightness after just one day

oh and its a hell of alot faster and just think about the future, u want it to last about 24 months right?
just think, the 4S on iOS7 is gonna be a slow drag like the 3GS on iOS6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.