Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
8254532302_68916521c9_c.jpg

Code:
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1
Lens: Fujinon XF35mmF1.4 R 
ISO: 200
Shutter Speed: 1/8 sec
Aperture: ƒ/5.6 
Other Details: All manual settings. No flash. 
One continuous [daylight balanced] light source. 
Metered with a Sekonic L-358.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
ijohn, you got some nice detail in that one. The ring flash will help a lot, as would some focusing rails (for focus stacking) if you really get into doing macro.

Have to say I think the shot looks better when you roll over and therefore without the luma masks!

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Perhaps his examples are not the best for showing what luminosity masks can do.

So are you saying to use the luminosity masks to layer the two smart objects(raws) together? Apologies, I'm a bit new to using masking and smart objects. I have only this semester learned about fully non destructive workflows.

Oh, and you can add me to the list of folks eagerly awaiting your Articles.

Personally, I dont care for the before or after of that image. Like i said someone on the forum suggested it. I went through the tutorial using an image of my own, and liked the results so I have been telling others about it.

Many thanks for the interest in my Articles. :) Yes, that's right: two layers that are Smart Objects, each a raw file, and the top one containing a layer mask (at least that's the most basic utilization).

Since this topic of Luminosity Masks seems to be coming up a lot here in this thread, I decided to put together a proto-Article (if you will) on the subject. I made a special page that is not accessible via any links on my website. I will share the URL here, and if there seems to be enough interest, I may expand upon it and move it to my official Articles page (that's right: you all here on this forum are getting insider access! :D :cool:). I hope any of you who read it will let me know in the comments if you think it's a topic worthy of Article status. And here is the LINK. :)

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
ijohn, you got some nice detail in that one. The ring flash will help a lot, as would some focusing rails (for focus stacking) if you really get into doing macro.

I have a set of tracks ordered and I've gotten the program "DSLRRemotePro" to help there also. From my cursory research, I'll be using masks a lot with the photo stacking.

I hope any of you who read it will let me know in the comments if you think it's a topic worthy of Article status. And here is the LINK. :)

Phrasikleia, this doesn't load the pictures properly for me in firefox, they are really tiny, the sliders are there though! In safari they don't load at all, even after closing and reopening it several times. Just thought I'd let you know. Thank you for the rosetta stone (the final paragraph), this is manna from heaven to me. :D

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Phrasikleia, this doesn't load the pictures properly for me in firefox, they are really tiny, the sliders are there though! In safari they don't load at all, even after closing and reopening it several times. Just thought I'd let you know. Thank you for the rosetta stone (the final paragraph), this is manna from heaven to me. :D

Many thanks for letting me know. I found something in the settings that I had somehow inadvertently changed, so I changed it back. The image sliders should work now (perhaps after a reload or relaunch). I've just tested the page on two Macs running OS X, one machine running Windows 7, one running Linux, and one iPad. Seems to be working now. :) Glad I decided to test it out here before making it fully "public"!

OK, how about a photo...here's another one from the Dolomites...

EdgeOfDarkness.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Is it the photo playing tricks on me or is that house on, what seems to be, quite a significant slant!

Yep, it's crazy how they built that hut. It looks like it's going to slide right off the mountain. Part of the ground level is 'sunken' on the slope, which makes it look so strange from this angle.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
OK, how about a photo...here's another one from the Dolomites...

EdgeOfDarkness.jpg

The Mistress of Light strikes again! ;)

At first with the buildings I thought you must be looking down at them from such a steep angle that it made them appear warped or angled downwards, but if they are built into the hillside, I can accept that and stop letting it do my head in... :eek:

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
My first time using off camera strobes. Borrowed from the university stores and in a bad state with lots of bits and bobs broken and misused!

Titled "Happy Accident" as the PC Sync cord had slipped out a little causing the shutter to fire slightly out of sync of the flash giving the harsh roll off at the bottom of the frame.

Definitely something I will be trying again in the near future!

As always, comments are appreciated.

Happy Accident by acearchie, on Flickr

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
My first attempt at macro with no lighting, which this does need to bring out more detail. A macro LED ring light is on its way to start me off with regard of light. This was taken using a 28-80mm lens with its front lens assembly removed and a UV filter put on to stop the entry of dust. It gets 1:1.75 magnification. Not too bad for $80 worth! I have a reversing ring for my 50mm f/1.8, but it doesn't have the magnification of this, so I've got bellows and a macro track/rails coming for that setup.

This is the stamen of a daisy. Total width of the picture is about 25mm.

_MG_7362.jpg

Well done ijohn! I'm always fascinated with an image captured by a camera and lens that the eye (well, mine anyway) can't see. Looking forward to seeing more of this endeavour.

My first time using off camera strobes. Borrowed from the university stores and in a bad state with lots of bits and bobs broken and misused!

Titled "Happy Accident" as the PC Sync cord had slipped out a little causing the shutter to fire slightly out of sync of the flash giving the harsh roll off at the bottom of the frame.

You've posted some really great portraiture shots acearchie but I have to say that "Happy Accident" tops the list...BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you all for the supportive comments on my last post of a Pine Grosbeak (chowing-down). Here is another shot of the little guy...

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
You've posted some really great portraiture shots acearchie but I have to say that "Happy Accident" tops the list...BEAUTIFUL!

Cheers! It's comments like that that make me want to get out and shoot again straight away.

All the other shots I have posted have been from film negatives and this is my first digital so I can afford to be a bit more trigger happy! Really enjoyed being able to manipulate the lights and I will be sure to post more from the set and hopefully more from shoots in the future!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
8254926617_d28ac0de25_b.jpg

Sunset this evening in my village.

One of the first shots taken with my new (to me) Panasonic GF1 with 14-42mm kit lens. Loving it so far.

F9
1/500
ISO 100
42mm

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Well, here is my first try at this. This was from a recent trip to Arizona -- we took Jeeps up into the mountains and ended up at Crown King. Very cool experience...hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Red Jeep Climb (JPG).jpg
    Red Jeep Climb (JPG).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,385

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.

Drama, intrigue and by accident! I'd rather think of it as synchronicity! :cool:

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
Did a photo shoot for the Wife.

Here's a couple of pictures I did from a photo shoot with the wife.

She's an ultra runner obviously.

Shona%20Stephenson%20Champion%20Ultra%20Runner%20080.jpg

Shona%20Stephenson%20Champion%20Ultra%20Runner%20080%20%281%29.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.