Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hello all,

I was wondering if I could have some advice about the possibility of switching from a 13" MBP as my primary machine, to an iPad.

I am fairly clued up on some workarounds, but not on others.

I use my MBP mainly for these tasks:

• I download TV shows like The Big Bang Theory, Dexter, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, The Middle and Modern Family and stream them to my TV (using Airplay via Apple TV). I currently use Netflix on my Apple TV, but was considering upgrading to Hulu. Does Hulu offer all of these TV shows?
  • I like to manage my iTunes library on my computer. I buy all my music on iTunes and in particular, like using "Genuis Recommendations" to discover new music I like. If I used an iPad as my main computer, would I just upgrade to iTunes Match to have my entire library stored on the cloud?
  • I am a teacher so sometimes need to edit PowerPoints from my laptop.
  • I would have no regular access to any other machine or computer, except at work.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you want to manage your iTunes library from a computer which includes purchases that kind of excludes the iPad as your main and sole machine. I'd not recommend using a work computer to hold your personal music/movies - it may be against the rules.

I like my iPad but it won't replace the laptop, its great at viewing movies, some surfing, emails etc but for editing and other content creation, the laptop is a better tool imo

rahul247rocks

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
Dude, as of now a Macbook cannot be replaced by a tablet (in this case iPad). There are certain tasks that we do subconsciously on a Macbook without even realizing we are doing stuff. I suggest you keep the Macbook and buy another iPad.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am also a teacher trying to integrate the ipad into my workflow. Over 8 months, I have concluded that while the ipad is great for replacing what my work laptop does during school hours, I still need a dedicated workhorse mac to prep my ipad for the following day's work.

Here's what I use for ipad for.

1) I use my ipad in class in conjunction with an apple tv to simulate a mobile interactive whiteboard. I have all my required textbooks/worksheets/presentations digitised as pdfs on my iPad (annotated via goodreader), but clearly, I need a computer for that (school laptop pulls the required files from the network drive, saves as pdf, transfer over via dropbox in school, or itunes from my air/imac).

2) Daily administrative tasks like responding to emails, tracking forms/assignments (numbers), recording screenshots (educreations) and the like.

3) You will still need a cd-drive from time to time, because some schools believe it is the best way of disseminating listening-comprehension audio files weighing at just a few mb. :rolleyes:

In summary, make life easier for yourself by hanging on to your macbook. Invest in a cheap 16gb ipad (the refurbed 3rd-gen ipads are going for pretty cheap) While you are at it, start bringing your apple tv to work. :D

dvboy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Or if you want to keep things a little more portable,get an 11" Macbook Air,they aren't a heck of a lot bigger than an iPad.

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
Or if you want to keep things a little more portable,get an 11" Macbook Air,they aren't a heck of a lot bigger than an iPad.

I have to agree. I tried using an IPAD for my college teaching and just found it had too many drawbacks. The MBA 11 inch haa been just perfect.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Hello all,

I was wondering if I could have some advice about the possibility of switching from a 13" MBP as my primary machine, to an iPad.

I am fairly clued up on some workarounds, but not on others.

I use my MBP mainly for these tasks:

[*]I download TV shows like The Big Bang Theory, Dexter, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, The Middle and Modern Family and stream them to my TV (using Airplay via Apple TV). I currently use Netflix on my Apple TV, but was considering upgrading to Hulu. Does Hulu offer all of these TV shows?
Netflix doesn't offer all of those. I'm certain Hulu doesnt have all of those either. If you are willing to purchase subscriptions to those shows from itunes, then you are fine with apple TV/ipad. Ipad isn't meant for 'Downloading'.

[*]I like to manage my iTunes library on my computer. I buy all my music on iTunes and in particular, like using "Genuis Recommendations" to discover new music I like. If I used an iPad as my main computer, would I just upgrade to iTunes Match to have my entire library stored on the cloud?
This can work. You have many alternatives here too. Like using pandora, etc for discovering music. So this isn't much of an issue.

[*]I am a teacher so sometimes need to edit PowerPoints from my laptop.
This isn't ideal, but possible. Plus you could always do this at work too, since it's work related. If things start falling behind you could convince the school to provide a laptop to do work at home.

Looks like mostly the shows are going to hurt you the most. Well over $300/year for just those. Hulu would cost about $100/year. Looks like they have family guy, american dad, and modern family. Those 3 would pay the hulu subscription.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
[*]I like to manage my iTunes library on my computer. I buy all my music on iTunes and in particular, like using "Genuis Recommendations" to discover new music I like. If I used an iPad as my main computer, would I just upgrade to iTunes Match to have my entire library stored on the cloud?

If you have purchased all of your music through iTunes then you don't need to pay for iTunes Match, it will all be available to download when you log into an iPad with your Apple ID.

iTunes Match is for people who have non-iTunes-purchased music that they would like to behave the same way as iTunes-purchased music.

I think the biggest hurdle you would have with switching completely to an iPad is dealing with documents. Getting documents (like Power point presentations) onto and off of the iPad isn't as easy as it probably should be. I think you would end up emailing a lot of documents back and forth to yourself in order to get them from the iPad to your school computer.

If you could hook your iPad up to the class projector using a VGA or HDMI cable then you could give powerpoint(keynote) presentations directly from the iPad rather than having to transfer them back and forth.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have replaced a full fledged laptop with an ipad and chromebook combo. The biggest issue with the ipad is interacting with websites that you are doing more than just reading on.....eg: forums. The chromebook I use for forums and documents and the ipad for everything else. Both combied cost $749, which is cheaper than a macbook air.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Thank you for all the insightful recommendations. I really do appreciate it.

I have a 13" MBP at the moment and although a 11" MBA might seem more appropriate, it isn't the form factor I'm worried about. It was more the idea of simplifying what I do on computers by effectively going from OSX to iOS.

I'm confused as to how the iTunes scenario would work. This is the thing that bothers me the most. My library is 29gb. If I had no primary laptop for syncing, would I have to download individual songs from my iTunes account?

My playlists etc are only stored locally on my computer - right?

When I say I like to manage my music, I like to get a sense I am collecting. I have purchased close to 2200 and take pride in the fact I've built my collection up over 7 years.

I have access to a work laptop, but I would be unable to install any software (limited due to account type). Although it comes with PowerPoint etc.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Your usage case makes me think that you need a computer plus iPad. Now, if you had a desktop at home, like an iMac or Mac Mini, then the iPad could be your mobile computer, and you could get rid of your MacBook Pro. But if the MacBook is currently your only computer, then no, the iPad wouldn't come close to replacing it. The amount of workarounds and compromises you would have to live with it would make it an all-around very frustrating experience.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Your usage case makes me think that you need a computer plus iPad. Now, if you had a desktop at home, like an iMac or Mac Mini, then the iPad could be your mobile computer, and you could get rid of your MacBook Pro. But if the MacBook is currently your only computer, then no, the iPad wouldn't come close to replacing it. The amount of workarounds and compromises you would have to live with it would make it an all-around very frustrating experience.

I think you're right. I think I like to think I'm just a very basic computer user and to a certain extent I am, but I'm not enough for just using an iPad. Which is a shame. It's simplicity is appealing.

Perhaps a very cheap Nettop computer could provide the iTunes access / Torrent downloading I require.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.