Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That's why you tether it from your Android phone. I even use it as a phone with Skype or talkatone. Again, I can do anything with the iPod Touch I could with my iphone and I don't have to pay a carrier's fee

how do you fail to see the clear logic we are providing you?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
That's why you tether it from your Android phone. I even use it as a phone with Skype or talkatone. Again, I can do anything with the iPod Touch I could with my iphone and I don't have to pay a carrier's fee

Now you are just forcing round about ways to do something that could be done with less steps with a different device.

Niko91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Italy
I think that, probably, I'll stay with my iPhone.

Btw, I've ordered a Nexus 4 for my girlfriend.
I'll play with it and then.. well, we'll see! :p

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
There is no wrong decision here, a Nexus 4 or an iPhone 4S, well, IMHO one would be hard pressed getting much better than either of those phones, I've had em both and think they are brilliant.:)

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I feel like a lot of that changed with Mountain Lion....it added so many features that do sync between your phone and mac, and you will lose a lot of them not having an iphone. Some examples are imessaging, notfications, reminders, airplay

It really depends if you are utilizing those features. For me, I disabled iMessage from my iMac and iPad as I didn't want to use them as texting devices.
I do enjoy the notes syncing through icloud, but what do you mean by notifications? I've never had any notifications show on my iMac(running ML) that came from my iPhone.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Now you are just forcing round about ways to do something that could be done with less steps with a different device.

I was forcing round about ways to do simple things with iOS too. Android is much easier to do simple tasks for me. I love having both platforms

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I was forcing round about ways to do simple things with iOS too. Android is much easier to do simple tasks for me. I love having both platforms

You make valid points about having a Android phone and getting a iPod Touch. But like you just wrote, it works "for you". People have different opinions of course.

For me, I'm not one to carry 2 devices everywhere when 1 can do it all.

$400 for a top notch Android (GS3, N4, HTC One X, etc)
$350 for a iPod Touch

That's a lot of coin for the everyday customer

With those 2 device prices, you can get an iP5 off contract and unlocked

Again, there is no wrong pick here..Jelly Bean and iOS are both quality platforms.

Now W8 phones are a different story :eek: YUCK!

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
You make valid points about having a Android phone and getting a iPod Touch. But like you just wrote, it works "for you". People have different opinions of course.

For me, I'm not one to carry 2 devices everywhere when 1 can do it all.

$400 for a top notch Android (GS3, N4, HTC One X, etc)
$350 for a iPod Touch

That's a lot of coin for the everyday customer

With those 2 device prices, you can get an iP5 off contract and unlocked

Again, there is no wrong pick here..Jelly Bean and iOS are both quality platforms.

Good points but where are you shopping? Haha. $400 for a top Android phone and $350 for an ipod touch? I got my Note2 for $199 and my ipod touch for $249

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Of you have ATT and have spare line (ghost line). Just use iPhone 4S on one line. Put Nexus 4 on other line. U don't even need a data plan for the nexus 4 on att since its not reconciled as a smartphone.

And if you want data. Just add the $10 unlimited data for non smartphones. So carry both iPhone 4S and nexus 4.

There problem solved for very little extra money. ($20 max a month)

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Good points but where are you shopping? Haha. $400 for a top Android phone and $350 for an ipod touch? I got my Note2 for $199 and my ipod touch for $249

Well $199 is your 2yr contract price...most top Android devices cost $400+
Also, the new iPod Touch starts at $299 so starting $350 with tax

I remember the Blackberry/iPod Touch combo days...damn I hated that

Hey if you like it, its all good though

OP, try an Android device before you sell your 4S. Go to your local Staples and buy a $200 Nexus 7 and see if you like Jelly Bean OS. Than at least you got 14 days to return it without any restocking fee.

Just a thought

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It really depends if you are utilizing those features. For me, I disabled iMessage from my iMac and iPad as I didn't want to use them as texting devices.
I do enjoy the notes syncing through icloud, but what do you mean by notifications? I've never had any notifications show on my iMac(running ML) that came from my iPhone.

if you set a reminder on your phone it shows on your mac...same with calender events. It is almost the exact same as the pull down notification menu on an iphone. Use two fingers off the the right of your trackpad and drag them over

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
It's just an excuse to fight boredom. I'm equally bored with the iPhone 4, but still does everything perfectly since it's jailbroken, why would I switch?

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

Why yuck? I've never used one as my daily driver, but they feel incredibly fast and fluid, plus the WP8 home screen looks great. Live tiles are a great concept, I wish WP was on equal footing with iOS in terms of developer support, then I'd own one.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Why yuck? I've never used one as my daily driver, but they feel incredibly fast and fluid, plus the WP8 home screen looks great. Live tiles are a great concept, I wish WP was on equal footing with iOS in terms of developer support, then I'd own one.

The homescreen is God awful unless you like mess and clutter. most people prefer simple and clean homescreens on a phone, not every inch of space cluttered with boxes and squares.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
There is no wrong decision here, a Nexus 4 or an iPhone 4S, well, IMHO one would be hard pressed getting much better than either of those phones, I've had em both and think they are brilliant.:)

^^

definitely both great devices. I love my n4, but it doesn't mean I hate a my previous iphones... I just outgrew them.

Cursayer

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Not based on my side by side evaluations. I get very good battery life and pictures from both my iPhone & Nexus 4.

My Nexus 4 integrates perfectly with my full on Apple ecosystem. Including my Mac Pro Server, which all my Macs and Windows computers interface with. Apple's Calendar, Contacts, Notes, you name it, all sync just fine.

Using both iOS and Android concurrently is fun and interesting. I like variety, choices, and to stay current with the latest in mobile technologies. Running both platforms is a great way to accomplish that.

Did you like iPhone or Nexus 4 better?

tuukka87

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2012
The Colony,TX
I figured I would chime in on this one. I was a happy iphone 4 user and own almost everything apple, Until the announcement of the nexus 4. Much like the OP, I felt like the nexus was a fresh new world, and that my iphone was getting very stale. Fast forward to today, and I just sold my nexus 4 and bought a iphone 4s. Now let me just state that the nexus 4 was a great phone. Top of the line for android. But I dont know what it is about the iphone that pulled me back in. I just feel comfortable and at home with IOS. Just my two cents, but I've been to the other side, and while enticing, I ended up coming back home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.