Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
It seems the TSA has a problem with sticky-fingered agents who like to swipe Apple products, particularly iPads. Case in point: An agent at New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport is the latest to be charged with stealing travelers’ iPads. It’s but one example of iPad pilferage by some of our nation’s “security” officials.

TSA baggage screener Sean Henry reportedly was caught leaving the airport with two iPads after a joint TSA and Port Authority sting, according to ABC News. Officials used the iPad’s own GPS tracking mechanism to keep tabs on the tablet and pinpoint the thief.

Other instances of note: In September, a TSA agent in Florida was caught pilfering an iPad left at a security checkpoint. In July, a Continental Airlines employee caught a TSA worker trying to take an iPad by stashing it in his pants. Not smooth, bro. He was alleged to have sold around $50,000 of stolen gear on Craigslist. And a TSA screener at Dallas-Fort Worth International was arrested in January and found with seven Apple tablets in his possession. One for each day of the week, perhaps?

In the most brazen example, more ambitious thieves (believed to be airport employees, but not necessarily TSA employees) swiped two entire pallets of iPads at JFK Airport — 3,600 in all, worth $1.5 million.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/12/tsa-ipads/

Bunch of parasitic criminals......both the thieves and the TSA.

Last edited:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
It makes me wonder that if the TSA is this bad on homesoil, the stuff that American government agencies get away with in other countries must be obscene.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
.001% of cops are bad. Therefore, Cops are all bad.

This is sensationalistic writing meant to drive traffic. The fact that its still being linked only goes to show how catering to a specific type of reader pays off because some people just want to be angry.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010

This is sensationalistic writing meant to drive traffic. The fact that its still being linked only goes to show how catering to a specific type of reader pays off because some people just want to be angry.

Like the TSA stealing and doing evil things is a rare occurence. [roll eyes]

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles

Where is this figure coming from? BTW, cops an internal police that police the POLICE. If it is such a small percentage then why have an Internal Affairs? :eek:

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I can't believe one would risk losing their job over an iPad. It's ridiculous.

I don't like to generalize or anything, but it's no secret that TSA and airline employees are known for thieving passengers' property. I, for one, do not trust them. I always make sure to store my expensive property on my carry on luggage. Packing expensive property in checked luggage is not smart.

Last edited:

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
You get fondled by the TSA whenever you go to take a flight in the US. Seems pretty bad to me.

I fly all the time for business around the world. Have yet to have a TSA fondle me. Be rude sometimes? Yes. But aren't we all? Fondled? Never. I just must be to ugly... :rolleyes:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
To me this just means TSA agents (or any similar security personel) aren't paid enough. These people are supposed to be professionals in a career. What kind of professional would be willing to risk their career for a few thousand bucks on the black market? A highly underpaid one, for whom that few thousand bucks is a big deal.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I used to work as a TSA officer. I would have never considered stealing someone's belongings. However I did work with a couple of folks lacking ethics. My point is that its not fair to condemn them all.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I used to work as a TSA officer. I would have never considered stealing someone's belongings. However I did work with a couple of folks lacking ethics. My point is that its not fair to condemn them all.

That's like saying it is not fair to condemn the Nazi's because a few of them were good and saved some Jews.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
To me this just means TSA agents (or any similar security personel) aren't paid enough. These people are supposed to be professionals in a career. What kind of professional would be willing to risk their career for a few thousand bucks on the black market? A highly underpaid one, for whom that few thousand bucks is a big deal.
Like security guards paid minimum wage to protect valuable property. What the heck?
Oh, and the TSA's uniforms are ugly. Where did they come up with that shade of blue?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

It just means that unethical people take every sort of job and the interview process is not good enough to filter them out.

Just read threads in this forum where someone orders and pays for one phone, but two get shipped. How many people here with no morals say to keep the second phone?

It's a problem with the degradation of morals in society in the US that will not easily be overcome, and it has nothing to do with how much a person is being paid.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
There's no such thing as morals, regardless of what everyone is taught in Sunday school. Everyone does what they have to in order to get by. Most of us will do the "right" thing when there's nothing to gain from doing the "wrong" thing; plus doing the "right" thing feels good. But if you give a guy a terrible job, no respect, unlivable wages, and practically nothing to lose, you can't act surprised when he takes some bread home with him.

Rules of ethics only work when people have something to lose. We talk about TSA agents like they are scum, worst human beings. What do they have to lose?

It just means that unethical people take every sort of job and the interview process is not good enough to filter them out.

Just read threads in this forum where someone orders and pays for one phone, but two get shipped. How many people here with no morals say to keep the second phone?

It's a problem with the degradation of morals in society in the US that will not easily be overcome, and it has nothing to do with how much a person is being paid.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Convicted TSA Officer Reveals Secrets of Thefts at Airports

A convicted TSA security officer says he was part of a "culture" of indifference that allowed corrupt employees to prey on passengers' luggage and personal belongings with impunity, thanks to lax oversight and tip-offs from TSA colleagues.

"It was very commonplace, very," said Pythias Brown, a former TSA officer at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey who admits he stole more than $800,000 worth of items from luggage and security checkpoints over a four-year period.

"It was very convenient to steal," he said.

Speaking publicly for the first time after being released from prison, Brown told ABC News his four-year-long crime spree came to an end only because he tried to sell a camera he stole from the luggage of a CNN producer on E-bay but forgot to remove all of the news networks' identifying stickers.

"It became so easy, I got complacent," Brown said.

Brown is one of almost 400 TSA officers who have been fired for stealing from passengers in the past decade. According to the TSA, 381 TSA officers have been fired for theft between 2003 and 2012, including 11 so far in this year.

"It was so easy," said Brown, "I walked right out of the checkpoint with a Nintendo Wii in my hand. Nobody said a word."

He said he soon learned how to read the X-ray scans to find the most valuable items to steal.

"I could tell whether it was cameras or laptops or portable cameras or whatever kind of electronic was in the bag," Brown said.

At the time of his arrest, Brown was offering for sale some 80 cameras, video games and computers on his personal eBay page.

"It was like being on drugs, it was," he told ABC News. "I was like, 'What am I doing?' but the next day I was right back at it."

Brown described one instance when he got a tip off about complaints from passengers about thefts.

"One gentleman that used to work in the office one day came to me and said, 'They were talking about you in the office. Be careful.' I said, 'Okay.'"

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/convi...als-secrets-thefts-airports/story?id=17339513

It's not wages, it's just greedy jackasses and it goes all the way to the top. They would be a perfect fit with Halliburton in Iraq pillaging.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
There's no such thing as morals, regardless of what everyone is taught in Sunday school. Everyone does what they have to in order to get by. Most of us will do the "right" thing when there's nothing to gain from doing the "wrong" thing; plus doing the "right" thing feels good. But if you give a guy a terrible job, no respect, unlivable wages, and practically nothing to lose, you can't act surprised when he takes some bread home with him.

Rules of ethics only work when people have something to lose. We talk about TSA agents like they are scum, worst human beings. What do they have to lose?

Excuse me?

No such thing as morals? I feel very sad for you.

You watch way too much TV.

These thieves are nothing more than thieves.

They are clearly not starving, living on the street, stealing bread to keep their children alive.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Show me where you got the .001 police number since we're talking statistics now.

It is important to know that the average TSA screening goons are not police officers. According to the TSA, screeners receive an absolute joke of just 120 hours of training time. Police officers on the other hand typically need at least 4 years of college to even be considered for the job, and then pass a several month 24/7 training academy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.