Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
So if you have an iPhone on the $30 plan with T-Mobile it's now a lock that you'll lose it next year, right?

If so, it's probably on to Straight Talk for me.

I don't think anyone knows the answer to that. However, Tmo did say they are going to focus more on their value plans in the future, which is what the $30 plan is. If you bring your own device I don't see why they would get rid of those plans.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
Wow, you're right :eek:. I remember the bring-your-own-device postpaid plans being no-contract at some point in the past, but I guess they changed that at some point. Good catch!

Yup, I was about to switch to T-Mobile from Straight Talk and get on that nice $50/month plan before they told me that it was contract-based.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
So if you have an iPhone on the $30 plan with T-Mobile it's now a lock that you'll lose it next year, right?

If so, it's probably on to Straight Talk for me.

I would say it's safe to assume that if you currently have a classic plan with them, then you'll be grandfathered in. Though they may try to convince you to move to the new plan, you won't have to.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I would say it's safe to assume that if you currently have a classic plan with them, then you'll be grandfathered in. Though they may try to convince you to move to the new plan, you won't have to.

The $30 prepaid plan isn't a classic plan is it? I wouldn't think they would grandfather anyone into a prepaid plan.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
The $30 prepaid plan isn't a classic plan is it? I wouldn't think they would grandfather anyone into a prepaid plan.

My bad, I thought that comment was in reference to the classic plan. You're right, if you have a prepaid plan then you probably won't be grandfathered in.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I don't think anyone knows the answer to that. However, Tmo did say they are going to focus more on their value plans in the future, which is what the $30 plan is. If you bring your own device I don't see why they would get rid of those plans.

The $30 plan is not the Value Plan. It's a prepaid plan. T-Mobile calls them Monthly 4G plans.

Value plans are postpaid contract plans.

I don't see any reason why T-Mobile would get rid of the 5GB $30 plan just because they get the iPhone. Users of that plan would still have to pay $700 from Apple for an iPhone and they are still limited to only 5GB of full speed data. Also I suspect that T-Mobile will limit their LTE service to postpaid subscribers only since as of right now no carrier allows their prepaid or MVNOs to access their LTE networks. The 5GB prepaid plan will likely stick around.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
3G in Encino CA, Valley, Hollywood etc

Have pretty good speeds on 3G in Encino Ca (speedtest below), most of the "valley" passing through sherman oaks and studio city into Hollywood, sometimes bounces back to edge a bit but solid 3G last 24 hours, although talk and suft seems to not work time to time driving into Hollywood. ALSO, seems like their starting to add visual voicemail?! Take a look at screen shots below, isn't this a first??? Anyone else seeing this on their iPhone? I have a factory unlocked 4s and a unlocked verizon iphone 5, both get 3g only here.

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    61.5 KB · Views: 94
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    76 KB · Views: 89
  • photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    239.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Gillespie81

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Minnesota
Minneapolis and surround areas, tried in Maple Grove and got it today. Didn't have it last week. Slow speed though, but faster than edge.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Which part of Maple Grove did you find the slow 3G signal?
I think the signal is strongest around Hemlock lane exit on I-694. It is weakest at county Road 30 exit in Maple Grove. It is good along I-494. Then after County Road 30, there is nothing for 50 miles all the way on I-94 until St. Cloud exit.
Minneapolis and surround areas, tried in Maple Grove and got it today. Didn't have it last week. Slow speed though, but faster than edge.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
This is going to happen. I've talked to multiple people from T-Mobile, by December we will have 3G from their refarm, and by march we will have 4G, both compatible with the iphones... and a cheap plan/ good customer service as well!

Maybe taking that a little too far....good customer service? I called tech support and its lets say definitely English not being their first language reps and definitely don't know what they're talking about.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Maybe taking that a little too far....good customer service? I called tech support and its lets say definitely English not being their first language reps and definitely don't know what they're talking about.

For any company I refuse to ever call customer service because it ends up being more trouble than it's worth to try and understand what they're saying. I'd rather do online chat (which is still sometimes iffy) or go into a retail location if there's one nearby. I've been to multiple t-mobile locations and I've always gotten great customer service.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Looks like they're aiming at Straight Talk with those plans.

Ya but it will take at least another year before T-Mo will be able to take on Straight Talk with those plans due to AT&T network HSDPA/HSPA+ network being the better when compared to T-Mobile (even with its reaffirm)

Gillespie81

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Minnesota
i work at hemlock and main st. i live in monticello and have no 3g. i had a 1.2 download and .77 upload speed, but i was inside so maybe thats why. im just glad i have faster service while im at work

Which part of Maple Grove did you find the slow 3G signal?
I think the signal is strongest around Hemlock lane exit on I-694. It is weakest at county Road 30 exit in Maple Grove. It is good along I-494. Then after County Road 30, there is nothing for 50 miles all the way on I-94 until St. Cloud exit.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Could someone post a screenshot of a speedtest during a call on T-Mobile? T-Mobile is a GSM carrier so they should be able to voice and data simultaneously.

Curious to see what the speeds are like, as AT&T currently throttles all customers' speeds during calls.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
T-mobile's 4G service is good. But their refarming of the 1900 Mhz frequency for 3G on iPhone is very spotty and extremely weak. I live in Rogers in the NW suburbs of Minneapolis and the 3G coverage here is a joke. Last Friday, the CTO announced that Minneapolis is now refarmed for iPhone compatible 3G. If this is their level of refarming, I would strongly recommend Apple NOT to partner with T-mobile and spoil the reputation of Apple products. I have been with T-mobile for 10+ years, I have liked it, but now having bought the iPhone 5, I am seriously considering going back to AT&T. I would strongly suggest that you wait before switching to T-mobile. They are at least a year from a bare minimum 3G coverage. Each time the signal goes from 3G to E my call drops!
Could someone post a screenshot of a speedtest during a call on T-Mobile? T-Mobile is a GSM carrier so they should be able to voice and data simultaneously.

Curious to see what the speeds are like, as AT&T currently throttles all customers' speeds during calls.

Attachments

• 2012-12-05 20.38.41.png
    2012-12-05 20.38.41.png
    527.9 KB · Views: 93

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
To get the hspa+ or up to 40+ speed on the iphone 5 on tmobile does anyone know would it have to be the gsm version (AT&T or factory unlocked) or would the Verizon CDMA (unlocked) access the same speed theoretically? I understand the iphone 5 can get these speed over using a iphone 4 or 4s correct? Hope this makes sense. Reason asking when tmobile opens up the faster speed will I have access to it on an unlocked Verizon iphone 5 or would I have to get the gsm version? Thank you

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
To get the hspa+ or up to 40+ speed on the iphone 5 on tmobile does anyone know would it have to be the gsm version (AT&T or factory unlocked) or would the Verizon CDMA (unlocked) access the same speed theoretically? I understand the iphone 5 can get these speed over using a iphone 4 or 4s correct? Hope this makes sense. Reason asking when tmobile opens up the faster speed will I have access to it on an unlocked Verizon iphone 5 or would I have to get the gsm version? Thank you

You can get T-Mobile HSPA+ 42 with both the AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5. You will not be able to access their LTE in 2013 unless you have the AT&T model though.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
You can get T-Mobile HSPA+ 42 with both the AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5. You will not be able to
access their LTE in 2013 unless you have the AT&T model though.

Much appreciated. Ok so since "4g" is not working in my area with tmobile it won't matter if I use the 4s or 5 as far as speeds. I don't think tmobile lte will be active until at next summer by then who knows the iphone 5s might change antennas yet again?

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Much appreciated. Ok so since "4g" is not working in my area with tmobile it won't matter if I use the 4s or 5 as far as speeds. I don't think tmobile lte will be active until at next summer by then who knows the iphone 5s might change antennas yet again?

Yeah if you don't have HSPA+42 in your area it doesn't matter whether you have the 4S or 5. If you do then the 5 will have higher speeds as it is the only iPhone that has a DC-HSPA (HSPA+ 42) radio. The 4S maxes out at HSPA+ 14.4.

Me personally I was going to get an AT&T 5 but I have decided I'll just keep my 4S until the T-Mobile iPhone comes out in a few months. It will have all the bands necessary to get the best experience on their network.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Have pretty good speeds on 3G in Encino Ca (speedtest below), most of the "valley" passing through sherman oaks and studio city into Hollywood, sometimes bounces back to edge a bit but solid 3G last 24 hours, although talk and suft seems to not work time to time driving into Hollywood. ALSO, seems like their starting to add visual voicemail?! Take a look at screen shots below, isn't this a first??? Anyone else seeing this on their iPhone? I have a factory unlocked 4s and a unlocked verizon iphone 5, both get 3g only here.

Anybody else can confirm VVM is working on tmobile:confused:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Yeah if you don't have HSPA+42 in your area it doesn't matter whether you have the 4S or 5. If you do then the 5 will have higher speeds as it is the only iPhone that has a DC-HSPA (HSPA+ 42) radio. The 4S maxes out at HSPA+ 14.4.

Me personally I was going to get an AT&T 5 but I have decided I'll just keep my 4S until the T-Mobile iPhone comes out in a few months. It will have all the bands necessary to get the best experience on their network.

T-Mobile iPhone 5 will be nothing but the GSM/AT&T version of the iPhone 5 as It will be model A1428: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17).

Don't hope for 1700MHz band being added as its not going to happen. The iPhone 5 on T-Mobile will be as good as any AT&T/GSM or Verizon iPhone 5 is currently running on T-Mobile network, Only difference with AT&T/GSM model will be that it will support T-Mobile's LTE network that may follow in a years time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.