Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenamesbryce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
I was just wondering if there were other bike commuters out there that have a cool set up for their iPhone. I ride my bike to work which takes about 45-50 minutes, so I have a lot of time to listen to my iPod. Hower I find it a hassle if I want to use the map app or change podcasts. Do you guys use some kind of mount or armband. What works best. What kind of setup do you guys have?

mtnbkr

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
Wow - I just spent 20 minutes typing a reply and lost it. Bike commuting year round - 5 days a week regardless of weather or temp. I use an OtterBox Defender clamped to my backpack strap with Klipsch S4i earphones. I listen to recorded tunes and I stream The Buzz on HiDef Radio. Skiing I use the Ski Tracks app and listen to tunes in my Smith helmet with it's built in Skull Candy speakers. I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air skiing.

I've messed around with most of the GPS tracking devices. I have a decent Garmin wrist watch-like GPS I use for serious mountain biking. Not sure if it's much better than the iPhone though.

I am so bent I lost my last response. It was super detailed. Geez.

PS - I love the iPhone 4 overall but coming from previous BBs, I have to say that there are some design features of the BB that blow away the iPhone. I know - sacrilege. Overall though I love the iPhone and don't plan on returning to the dark side.

Last edited:

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Depends on your needs. I use a Tigra case/mount for my iPhone 4 for regular biking (for exercise). Semi-water resistant (for light rains). I'd put a plastic bag over it if you hit heavier rain though.

I use it with a biking GPS app to track my route and time, etc. Not perfect, but easily viewable. I don't recommend trying to change maps/podcasts while actually moving though. Great way to crash.

This may not be the best solution for you though. Main issue for regular commuting is that you have to take the iPhone out of any current case you have in order to fit it in the Tigra mount. Means a lot of switching around of cases every day. Also, it hides the photosensitive sensor, so you need to turn off auto-brightness and set brightness up high in order to see the screen (bad for battery life).

However, the bike mounts that are more universal also leave your phone open to rain and damage (and possibly popping off the mount and hitting the ground).

If I was doing this more for commuting, I'd probably look more for a forearm strap/band.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
...I'd probably look more for a forearm strap/band.

I'd actually like a combination of the usual bike mount/strong case set up and a forearm strap and band so that I can take pictures during my ride (while I'm not going too fast) occasionally and not have to worry about dropping the phone. The Sports Tracker app looks for images and video that were taken before uploading the details of your workout online.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I'd actually like a combination of the usual bike mount/strong case set up and a forearm strap and band so that I can take pictures during my ride (while I'm not going too fast) occasionally and not have to worry about dropping the phone. The Sports Tracker app looks for images and video that were taken before uploading the details of your workout online.

I just went with this http://store.thinkbiologic.com/reecharge-case-for-iphone.html and http://store.thinkbiologic.com/reecharge-case-bracket.html

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland

I ended up losing the reecharge case shortly after I bought it. No idea where it went. But I got an iphone 5 this year so it wouldn't have fit in the case anyways. I just missed the opportunity to resell. Still have the bracket just sitting on the bike. I need a new ThinkBiologic Reecharge case for the iphone 5 but I don't think they've made one yet.

Any alternatives?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.