Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which keyboard do you use?

• Wireless keyboard

Votes: 73 48.7%
  • Wired keyboard with numeric keypad

Votes: 58 38.7%
  • 3rd party keyboard

Votes: 19 12.7%

• Total voters

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
I've been using this for about four months and love it
http://bullettrain.com/express.html
newexpress_front_tilted.jpg

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Does the wired keyboard feature usb 3 ports? Now that would be a major plus!

The wired keyboard has 2 USB ports, one on either side under the ESC key and under the F19 key. The thing that's particularly good with the keyboard is that these USB ports actually has some power in them and can act as an able hub.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
The wired keyboard has 2 USB ports, one on either side under the ESC key and under the F19 key. The thing that's particularly good with the keyboard is that these USB ports actually has some power in them and can act as an able hub.

But are they usb3 capable now that the iMac is?

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
But are they usb3 capable now that the iMac is?

Oh sorry, misinterpretated the question! And I have no idea sorry. :/ But a good question and something I'd like to know as well, come to think of it.

EDIT: The Apple Store states USB 2.0 for the keyboard if you were to buy it on it's own.

Chihawk725

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Went with the wired for my BTO iMac. Thought I was the only one lol but after reading the opinions in this thread it seems like 90 percent of those with a good reason to choose between one of the two options went with the wired :D

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I'm using this Logitech keyboard - very happy with it. Wireless. Solar. Quiet and smooth keystrokes. No battery changing. Plus - it has a true "delete" key for reformed pc users.

Attachments

• wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-silver-for-mac-glamour-image-lg.png
    wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-silver-for-mac-glamour-image-lg.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 99

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I'm using this Logitech keyboard - very happy with it. Wireless. Solar. Quiet and smooth keystrokes. No battery changing. Plus - it has a true "delete" key for reformed pc users.

I use the same one in black (Logitech K750), and since I also use a logitech performance mx mouse, I only have to use up 1 USB port. It's an awesome keyboard, and actually think I like it more than Apple's now (been using it for a week). My ONLY complaint is the lack of light on the caps lock key, but really, it's not THAT big of a deal. I love that just ambient light keeps it charged.

Attachments

• 1214449-capture-d-ecran-2011-08-1812.52.03.jpeg
    1214449-capture-d-ecran-2011-08-1812.52.03.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 57

bayleaves

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Silicon Valley
Wired

I was using the wireless for awhile, but I really missed the numeric keypad. So I ordered another wired one. Not sure we actually need ANY more keyboards at our house.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
We use the wired Apple KB with numeric keypad. We do too much number crunching to make do with Apple's wireless KB. It's beyond me as to why Apple hasn't already made a wireless full-KB. :confused:

This logitech wireless full-KB looks awesome, just wish it was BT instead of USB. I may to have order one and try it out.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
A1016 wireless. Works best for me. Like having the extended keyboard with numeric pad.

Attachments

• 629870777_o.jpg
    629870777_o.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 68

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
My first iMac (late 2007) came with the wired keyboard as standard. I liked the two extra USB ports-- one for my mouse, one for my iPod sync cable. So when I bought a newer iMac with a standard wireless, I paid extra for the wired one. The wireless one is currently unused. Too bad I can't use it with my :apple:tvs.

However...

I use the same one in black (Logitech K750), and since I also use a logitech performance mx mouse, I only have to use up 1 USB port. It's an awesome keyboard, and actually think I like it more than Apple's now (been using it for a week)...

This model is interesting, if only for the solar functionality. The black one looks slick.

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada

ordered my first imac with the wired num pad keyboard, but this one looks very nice

yanksno1

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Yea, I've seen that Logitech keyboard. If I decide to go wireless, I'd prob buy that one. Some guys at work have the PC version and like it a lot. The Mac version looks really nice too. I'm buying a new Performance Mouse MX too (such a huge improvement over the magic mouse with the extra buttons), so it'd be nice to use 1 usb receiver for both.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
We use the wired Apple KB with numeric keypad. We do too much number crunching to make do with Apple's wireless KB. It's beyond me as to why Apple hasn't already made a wireless full-KB. :confused:

This logitech wireless full-KB looks awesome, just wish it was BT instead of USB. I may to have order one and try it out.

Actually, a similar keyboard but with BT but no numeric keypad is available from Logitech. I tried it and returned it. The one I tried was very noisy and clicky clacky. I did not like it. The USB version I have is terrific and I prefer it over the Apple keyboards by a fairly wide margin. I use a Logitech wireless usb mouse as well and they both work together using only one receiver in one usb port for both.

EDIT - BTW - it may be that the key layout on the black version is different than the key layout on the white version of this keyboard. Not 100% sure. But if you look at the logitech web site they have the same model number only the white is listed as "for mac" and they do reference a mac specific key layout.

Last edited:

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Actually, a similar keyboard but with BT but no numeric keypad is available from Logitech. I tried it and returned it. The one I tried was very noisy and clicky clacky. I did not like it. The USB version I have is terrific and I prefer it over the Apple keyboards by a fairly wide margin. I use a Logitech wireless usb mouse as well and they both work together using only one receiver in one usb port for both.

EDIT - BTW - it may be that the key layout on the black version is different than the key layout on the white version of this keyboard. Not 100% sure. But if you look at the logitech web site they have the same model number only the white is listed as "for mac" and they do reference a mac specific key layout.

Thanks. Yeah I saw that small BT one but it didn't interest me as I already also have Apple's BT keyboard. We need the full numeric KB, I just wish Apple would make a wireless one.

I read on amazon lots of reviews and many people mention the lack of caps lock light on the 750 being a negative. I wonder if in practice it would be the same for me. Never had a KB without caps lock light.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
23 year old Northgate Omnikey/102. Heavy and clicky. I doubt that any of the new keyboards are built as well as this one.

I do use an Apple Magic Mouse.

Attachments

• DSCN0980.jpg
    DSCN0980.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 2,244

HunterMaximus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Toronto, ON, Canada
Currently on the wired one. Ordered a wireless one with my new iMac to have an option as much as anything (although I've spend some time in the past with the wireless one, so I have a good feel for both).

I like having the full-size arrow keys and the home/end cluster, as well as no function key in the lower-left corner. But I'm not a big fan of the extra width the numpad brings (ergonomically I'm not sure it's great to have the mouse out that far). If I could get a tenkeyless in a style closer to Apple's, I'd get it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately the only ten keyless options I've seen have been of the noisy mechanical variety, which I don't want.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wired. I like the full keyboard, no batteries required, and USB port for quick connection of flash drives.

I have a wireless trackpad for a mouse though.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I like the logitech stuff so much I've decided to sell the apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse that came with my new iMac. They are gathering dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.