Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Seriously, if you're working in a Corporation you have to use MS office. I tried OpenOffice Google Docs all that stuff but no matter what there's compatibility format issues and MS office in the only way to avoid those. Independently those are all great and I would prefer to use those but it just is not possible at this time.

+1

We also have Pages and while we love using it, almost every work document I get sent ends up having compatibility issues when viewed in anything other than MS Word.

To the OP, if you're employed check with your employer if they have MSFT Home Use Program. I just found out that my employer has this program and MS Office for Mac Home & Business edition is $11 (retail $280) which is essentially free. I just downloaded it and I'll mostly be using it for Word alone but it also comes with Excel, Power Point, Outlook and a few other things.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
What's a good Word processor and spreadsheet app for iMac that is freeware?

I use LibreOffice every day on my Mac and it is great. You could also go the free Microsoft route by singing up for a free outlook.com account and use the cloud version of the apps.

My combination is iWork and LibreOffice. The only strange formatting issues that I have noticed is the bulleted lists come out in LO with weird-looking bullets. Other than that, I use it to check the .doc exports from Pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.