Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
How would the TSA be able to steal your electronics? Everytime I fly, I keep my eye on all of my electronics/wallet/anything else I put in a bin to get scanned. Again, I'm really having a hard time understanding how a TSA agent could successfully steal an iPad.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
What? Either the official purpose of the TSA has changed or you don't know how to do comparisons.

What? You mean the TSA is not waging war on common sense and decency? I am shocked.

----------

How would the TSA be able to steal your electronics? Everytime I fly, I keep my eye on all of my electronics/wallet/anything else I put in a bin to get scanned. Again, I'm really having a hard time understanding how a TSA agent could successfully steal an iPad.

Read the articles I linked to. One of the ways they steal is by going through your checked luggage in the scanning rooms.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Before the TSA was created in 2001, airports and carriers hired private firms to do security. And you know what? Stuff disappeared from people's luggage then, too. iPads are the new cameras/jewelry.

IMO, the environment seems to embolden some people to steal.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
There's no such thing as morals, regardless of what everyone is taught in Sunday school. Everyone does what they have to in order to get by. Most of us will do the "right" thing when there's nothing to gain from doing the "wrong" thing; plus doing the "right" thing feels good. But if you give a guy a terrible job, no respect, unlivable wages, and practically nothing to lose, you can't act surprised when he takes some bread home with him.

Rules of ethics only work when people have something to lose. We talk about TSA agents like they are scum, worst human beings. What do they have to lose?
Oh god not another one of these people...
Just because someone can or does ignore a law, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Same applies with morals.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
What? You mean the TSA is not waging war on common sense and decency? I am shocked.

----------

Read the articles I linked to. One of the ways they steal is by going through your checked luggage in the scanning rooms.

It is definitely not a good idea to put anything of value in your checked luggage. carry on your electronics, jewelry, and medications.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Show me where you got the .001 police number since we're talking statistics now.

I don't know about .001%...whatever, that's not my point...

Personal experience...

I was in the San Francisco airport in May. Went through security and pulled out my laptop and iPad to put in the bins (I realize you don't have to put your iPad in a bin, but I did for whatever reason).

About 20 minutes later I grabbed a cup of coffee, sat down at the gate, and decided to pull out the iPad for a few minutes before the flight boarded...

No iPad in my briefcase.

So I ran back to security, pretty certain that I just lost a $500 machine, and to my surprise it was there with a supervisor waiting for me.

Have faith people...not everyone is bad!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
There's no such thing as morals, regardless of what everyone is taught in Sunday school. Everyone does what they have to in order to get by. Most of us will do the "right" thing when there's nothing to gain from doing the "wrong" thing; plus doing the "right" thing feels good. But if you give a guy a terrible job, no respect, unlivable wages, and practically nothing to lose, you can't act surprised when he takes some bread home with him.

Rules of ethics only work when people have something to lose. We talk about TSA agents like they are scum, worst human beings. What do they have to lose?

Not true at all. Many people do have morals regardless, though apparently you don't. It may be a bit unfair to focus on TSA agents in particular, since there are people such as yourself that work in a variety of positions that feel they are entitled to steal from others.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

I think is mostly from when people leave their item in the basket and then forget them since they had to remove their electronics from the bags, then they return to get it or ask about it and it disappear or is never placed in the lost or left bin.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005

----------

Okay, first, nobody should be checking valuables. You have the ability to take a carry-on bag for exactly that reason. Regardless of the risk of something being stolen, there's also the possibility that the airline is going to lose your luggage, and you may not get it back. I've had luggage lost by a US carrier twice... got it back once, once it disappeared forever. There was nothing valuable in my bag either time for exactly that reason. Putting expensive electronics in a checked bag is stupidity.

And second... grab some perspective. The TSA is nothing like the Nazis. You're just being sensationalist. Unless you know something the rest of us don't about people being entrained to gas chambers from airport security checkpoints.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Not true at all. Many people do have morals regardless, though apparently you don't. It may be a bit unfair to focus on TSA agents in particular, since there are people such as yourself that work in a variety of positions that feel they are entitled to steal from others.
I try to make a philosophical debate, and you accuse me of being a thief. Stay classy.

Excuse me?

No such thing as morals? I feel very sad for you.

You watch way too much TV.

These thieves are nothing more than thieves.

They are clearly not starving, living on the street, stealing bread to keep their children alive.
Where do morals come from? Are they utilitarian? Natural? Can you teach your pet to have them? Can you teach a person to have them, or are you just teaching them to act?

Most importantly, how far backed into a corner would you need to be in order to ignore your morals, or to act against them?

We don't know if these specific TSA agents were poor, or what their living situation was like. We do know the salary of one though, and we do know what the general public thinks of them. On this forum, people have called them scum, rapists, evil, and other terrible things. I figure, they hear that all over the place. If they're already those things, how much worse is it to add thief to the list?

Have you ever seen someone proudly proclaim in public that they are a TSA agent? No, it's because we already hate them.

And I know that very well paid people sometimes steal too, it always comes down to a cost/benefit factoring in potential reward, odds of being caught, and potential punishment. I believe how society will judge them or label them, win or lose, fits into that equation. Maybe that is the moral component?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
That's like saying it is not fair to condemn the Nazi's because a few of them were good and saved some Jews.

Wow you are comparing people getting paid to screen airline passengers to Nazis? Very clueless and pathetic argument.

If TSA flat out stopped screening at all, would you fly? No because it would pose an actual danger on a regular basis.

Therefore the government will continue to fund TSA. And since I'm sure we all agree that we don't want to spend any more than is necessary, we will continue to employ a lower quality of people who exhibit desperate and selfish behavior.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I think is mostly from when people leave their item in the basket and then forget them since they had to remove their electronics from the bags, then they return to get it or ask about it and it disappear or is never placed in the lost or left bin.

Good point. Although, anyone who forgets their iPad while going through TSA perhaps deserves to have it stolen. :D

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The problem isn't with the TSA per se. The problem is the multiple layers of "who's ultimately reponsible".

I've had 2 garmin GPS stolen in luggage before. One was checked in with lock that was broken. Other was through a baggage screen.

Called airport. Airport said its not their problem. Called TSA. They said its not their problem and its a contractor problem. Contractor gave me bounce back to its the airports problem.

If there is one central place for liability. Than maybe we start hiring better screeners. Cause someone ultimately needs to take responsibility for rogue screeners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.