Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
hopefully it also comes with the feature where it actually plays half the stuff I try to watch on Hulu Plus. Two AppleTVs, both of them fail on the same videos.

Might not be the Apple TV but Hulu. Would be nice if videos with some kind of contract issue didn't appear or gave you a proper error if that is the case but Hulu isn't really quick on such things

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I wonder if this is a sign that Apple will soon be switching from an IR remote to a BT version. Even though it likely would be small and simple (which I do like) rather than a full keyboard, it could still connect the way a keyboard does. (BT numeric keypads and iOS controllers like the iCade do so, for instance.)

I have my eye on an AppleTV since it’s only twice the cost of a Lightning HDMI adapter. But I want to wait until the next hardware revision—whether Apple TV 4 or merely a new remote.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Three keys factors for the Apple TV

If Apple TV is going to be the next big thing for Apple and it seems from the hints that Tim Cook is dropping that this is what they might be focusing on the three crucial factors will be:

1. Content - Apple can't do anything much more than they are doing at the moment until content producers/broadcasters agree on how to split future revenue.

2. Third Party Apps. This could be revolutionary - but the interest in it from the developer community would be huge and Apple's walled garden would keep it safe.

3 Siri on your Apple TV. I think this could become a new way of watching tv. Instead of channel surfing through tedious channels and shows you never watch you simply ask Siri what is on TV that you like and then various shows you like will be presented to you for you to make a choice. Siri will learn your viewing habits so it will become smarter and then all the shows will be tied to information on the internet. You are watching a film then other films with those actors will be suggested.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
What is the difference between an Apple TV and a Mac Mini?

What is the difference between an Apple TV and a Mac Mini and a Mini Cooper?

JK. The Mac Mini's a computer, costs ~$500. The AppleTV's a little $99 device for streaming media from a variety of sources to your HDMI-connected TV.

QUES: Based on past beta-to-public release performance, when is this new functionality likely to get to us?

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The guy just asked "What is the difference between an Apple TV and a Mac Mini?"

Obviously he hasn't

That was a bit catty !

Any way , I can answer. The mini is better for iTunes 10.7 hooked up to an entertainment center with a TV for the Coverlow feature ;)

Was supposed to be a multi quote. Fixed :)

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Me too. No need to spend an additional $70 for this if you have an iOS device already.

It was said before, but it bares repeating: finally! Now I just want that remote.....There's also no need to spend an additional $70 if you already own a Bluetooth keyboard. :rolleyes:

Does this mean you will be able to use your macbook's keyboard with bluetooth to control the apple tv? obviously my macbook has bluetooth and a keyboard...but i dont have a spare bt keyboard laying around

For those who don't own an iOS device, the choice as it stands now is, either spend an extra $69 for an additional BT keyboard, or keep pairing/re-pairing your Mac supplied BT keyboard with your computer or :apple:TV as needed, a bit of a nuisance. It would be nice if the BT keyboards had a simple way of being paired with 2 or 3 pre-paired devices, at the flick of a switch.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Those of us who jailbreak their ATVs have been doing this for years and not thinking twice... I'm just wondering what the situation is with those who are saying "finally". Are you staunchly against jailbreaking? Need features in newer firmwares and lost the option to untether? something else?

Not trying to troll, but genuinely curious.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
bigger question is to buy now or wait for a refresh... and I noticed in the 'Buyer's Guide' that the Apple TV wasn't included...

kimlo

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Me too. No need to spend an additional $70 for this if you have an iOS device already.

You can get Bluetooth keyboards for $10-$15, you'd have to be a fanboy to pay $70 for the Apple wireless keyboard if it's just to use with your Apple TV.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Kind of awesome, but I think the addition of a keyboard to the iOS remote app is better. My Bluetooth keyboard is already busy with my iMac, so I don't really want to pair swap that often.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
What is the difference between an Apple TV and a Mac Mini?
An Apple TV is $100; a Mac mini is between $600 - $1500, depending on config.
An Apple TV is a small box that streams content from the net or one of your computers/iOS devices to your TV; a Mac mini is a smal form factor computer.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Those of us who jailbreak their ATVs have been doing this for years and not thinking twice... I'm just wondering what the situation is with those who are saying "finally". Are you staunchly against jailbreaking? Need features in newer firmwares and lost the option to untether? something else?

Not trying to troll, but genuinely curious.
Can't jailbreak the :apple:TV 3.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Only Apple could add something (it should have done in the first place!) so simple and make followers go week at their knees ... Ridiculous!

Had this have been another brand it would have been slated; with Apple the addition is hailed as a market leading wonder!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.