Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Any phone that's bigger than the Samsung Galaxy s3 is a joke.

Yes, I hear that Samsung are laughing all the way to the bank. Not as many sales as the S3, but then you need deep pockets to buy a Note 2 :D

The target market for "phablets" is those of us for whom voice calls are way down on the priority list, below web browsing, email, navigation etc. The issue is not that phablets are less portable than phones - it's that they're more portable than tablets.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have a hard time believing there are people so shallow with such incredibly boring sense of humors they'd laugh at someone because they think their phone is too big. Not only does that person need to get I life I seriously doubt their opinion holds much weight in the real world....

"Whats so funny?" "Did you see the size of that guys phone?!", hard for me to type without rolling my eyes.

Personally the note size phone or larger are to big for me to keep on me all day. I'm a bit to active at work to be keep it in my pocket, I'd probably break it.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Dream on dude... Andriod sucks up the battery pretty good, and with that big of a screen, the charge will go like WHOOSH!!! :p

Ah, the Galaxy Note 2 has the largest screen out there for a smartphone and has tremendously good battery life. It beats every other phone out there except for the Razr Maxx.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Ah, the Galaxy Note 2 has the largest screen out there for a smartphone and has tremendously good battery life. It beats every other phone out there except for the Razr Maxx.

What capacity battery did Samsung include for the Note 2? I've heard people stating the bat life is quite incredible.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I didn't...

I mean seriously, there has to be a dividing line between phone and tablet, and I'm pretty sure this crosses it. It's just not practical, and I have a hard time believing this will sell, and people won't return it.

There doesn't have to be a dividing line. That's basically the mistake. These companies are just testing the market. When it hits the point of too big to sell, they'll back off. People said the same thing you're saying right now about the Note. Obviously it didn't outsell the iphone or the SIII, but that's not a requirement to be a successful product.

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
What capacity battery did Samsung include for the Note 2? I've heard people stating the bat life is quite incredible.

3100 mAh.

My battery experience on the Note II:
Yesterday was my first full day with the phone and I tried to kill the battery to no avail. After 16.5 hours and almost 9 hours of screen on time I still had 16% of the battery charge left.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
3100 mAh.

My battery experience on the Note II:

3100 mAh is A LOT of battery. Well, for a really large screen, so no surprise there.

Lol, one of the rare times I hear people trying to kill their smartphone battery to no avail. Streaming YouTube videos over cellular drains the most battery in most cases.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Revealed: 6.1 inch 1080p Huawei Ascend Mate

huawei-ascend-mate-yu-2012-12-23.jpg

huawei-ascend-mate-yu-2012-12-23-2.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/23/huawei-ascend-mate-tease/

Still looks like a phone that can be pocketed even though it has a 6.1 inch screen. These pictures make it look bigger than it actually is. There is a video in that Engadget link showing someone playing a video on the Ascend Mate's screen while holding it and it looks normal size to me.

But I am disappointed with the amount of bezel on the Ascend Mate. Surely they could have gotten rid of much of the bottom bezel seeing as how there are no physical buttons there. And it would look much more impressive if they could have slimmed down the other bezel areas in exchange for a bit of extra thickness. The quest for a true edge to edge screen phone goes on.

I don't know if this will be sold in North America since it seems like it is targeted for the Chinese market. I'm curious as to how Samsung will design it's 6+ inch Galaxy Note 3.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Like the Note II, I'd have to handle and play with one in person to decide whether the phone is to large. Can't wait to see some side by side comparisons between these two.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/23/huawei-ascend-mate-tease/

Still looks like a phone that can be pocketed even though it has a 6.1 inch screen. These pictures make it look bigger than it actually is. There is a video in that Engadget link showing someone playing a video on the Ascend Mate's screen while holding it and it looks normal size to me.

But I am disappointed with the amount of bezel on the Ascend Mate. Surely they could have gotten rid of much of the bottom bezel seeing as how there are no physical buttons there. And it would look much more impressive if they could have slimmed down the other bezel areas in exchange for a bit of extra thickness. The quest for a true edge to edge screen phone goes on.

I don't know if this will be sold in North America since it seems like it is targeted for the Chinese market. I'm curious as to how Samsung will design it's 6+ inch Galaxy Note 3.

I'm waiting for an edge-to-edge, near border less display on a phone too. Is there some technical hurdle for doing something like that, because I can't imagine why more phone makers aren't making super thin bezels.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Can't wait to see the rumored Galaxy Note 3 & hope its true. As much as they are charging for one, I might as get an all in one device.

Axious

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Somewhere in the world
Its going to be a tough fight between Note 3 and this. If Huawei wanted any attention i think they need to make it cheap or at least cheaper than the Note 3

Last edited:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'm waiting for an edge-to-edge, near border less display on a phone too. Is there some technical hurdle for doing something like that, because I can't imagine why more phone makers aren't making super thin bezels.

The Nexus 4 is near borderless. The glass is curved directly at the bezel.

Last edited:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
It is a giant phone! I fear that some manufacturers are forgetting that mobile phones need to be easily mobile. Looking at the picture on the right of this Engadget article it looks ridiculous.

I'm not saying that giant phones won't or don't work, because a lot of people enjoy the Note 2 and original note.

I just would love to see more manufacturers forgetting screen size for a minute (just using a good sized 4-4.7") and instead trying to build a phone that is (more pocketable), long lasting while remaining powerful, lightweight and thin.

Having said all of that I want to see what Samsung now does with the GSIV and Note 3. Especially the GSIV.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It is a giant phone! I fear that some manufacturers are forgetting that mobile phones need to be easily mobile. Looking at the picture on the right of this Engadget article it looks ridiculous.

I'm not saying that giant phones won't or don't work, because a lot of people enjoy the Note 2 and original note.

I just would love to see more manufacturers forgetting screen size for a minute (just using a good sized 4-4.7") and instead trying to build a phone that is (more pocketable), long lasting while remaining powerful, lightweight and thin.

Having said all of that I want to see what Samsung now does with the GSIV and Note 3. Especially the GSIV.

I think your point would hold more weight if Samsung didn't make multiple screen sizes from 3.7" to 6.1" on mobile devices. Its up to the consumer to pick the appropriate size mobile device, Samsung isn't forgetting a mobile device needs to be mobile....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.