Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
So recently, I've been trying to shift from my Kindle to my mini for reading. The screen is fine for me, but I've come across a different issue. I like holding ebook readers in portrait mode - just looks and feels more natural to me. The problem is that the mini is significantly harder to hold in portrait mode than a Kindle is simply owing to the much narrower bezel. I find myself having to grip the mini on the fat bezels on the bottom instead.

The other alternative is to just grip the mini with my entire hand across the back. But that gets sort of tiring after a while. And I'm looking for a back cover like the Caudabe Shell that I have for the big iPad, but I'm afraid if I put something like that on, it'll be even tougher to grip in that position.

Anyone else have this issue?

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I am having similar issues. My hands are a tad too small to cradle the entire mini in one hand. Lately I am holding it from the bottom but that feels top heavy after a while. Not the easiest device to hold, that's for sure! That said, I still think the interface and overall experience is far better than any other ereader out there, including the kindle paperwhite that I also own.

I am curious how others at holding this device!

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
The mini has excellent software changes that ignore a thumb held in place over the screen. Grip the screen like it has a bigger bezel and use your other hand to swipe... it will work fine.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The mini has excellent software changes that ignore a thumb held in place over the screen. Grip the screen like it has a bigger bezel and use your other hand to swipe... it will work fine.

This works for the most part. The trick is to put your thumb down and keep it there. You still have to be careful not to brush your thumb against the screen, as that will flip several pages at once.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I am having similar issues. My hands are a tad too small to cradle the entire mini in one hand. Lately I am holding it from the bottom but that feels top heavy after a while. Not the easiest device to hold, that's for sure! That said, I still think the interface and overall experience is far better than any other ereader out there, including the kindle paperwhite that I also own.

I am curious how others at holding this device!

I agree. I like my Kindle and it works a lot better outdoors, but the software on it is maddening at times. For example, wading through my library takes ages if I'm looking for a book at the end of the list. Much, much easier on the iPad's Kindle app.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
:confused:

Think the op meant that the gripping hand is blocking the screen. I feel the same way, but this is what you get on a tablet with thin bezel.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
The smart cover provides a pretty good grip for me; however, I think a thicker folio what help even more.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I looked at the mini and the nexus 7..The shape of the nexus is better for holding in one hand and reading, and it's half the price for the same amount of memory (32 gigs). So when I wanted a more portable tablet to supplement my ipad 3 I went with the nexus. Also, it runs Firefox and Flash, so it's nice for web browsing. Android does have its advantages. Nearly all the apps and games I use on the iPad are also available for Android, so there's really no 'app gap'.

Last edited:

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I agree with those who recommended a case to you. I use a simple folio case and I just fold it back when I read. It feels very similar to a book to me and I don't end up blocking any of the screen in portrait mode. You can find inexpensive cases on Amazon. Mine was about$10.

I've never owned a Kindle so I can't compare it to that experience, and I do admit that I still find that I prefer regular paperback books. However, reading on the Mini is very user friendly.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
That's why I hope they never change the bezel size and aspect radio of the full sized iPad. It's just perfect.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If you are a men, this isn't a great solution ... :eek:

I didn't say cross one completely over the other like women do when they sit down especially with a dress on.

Picture crossing one halfway to about where your calf starts unless you ain't flexible enough where it is uncomfortable. It works great, like Mini table! :D

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I looked at the mini and the nexus 7..The shape of the nexus is better for holding in one hand and reading, and it's half the price for the same amount of memory (32 gigs). So when I wanted a more portable tablet to supplement my ipad 3 I went with the nexus. Also, it runs Firefox and Flash, so it's nice for web browsing. Android does have its advantages. Nearly all the apps and games I use on the iPad are also available for Android, so there's really no 'app gap'.

I agree that the Nexus feels better for reading because of the thicker bezels. But, man, it looks like absolute crap, particular the top and bottom bezels which are just huge. The fact that Android uses soft buttons just exacerbates the look. Just my opinion, of course.

I have a smart cover on my mini and that doesn't help much at all. Actually, it makes the experience worse because the smart cover ends up sliding on the back of the mini when I fold the smart cover behind. I might invest in a folio case......or maybe just stick with my Kindle.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I agree that the Nexus feels better for reading because of the thicker bezels. But, man, it looks like absolute crap, particular the top and bottom bezels which are just huge. The fact that Android uses soft buttons just exacerbates the look. Just my opinion, of course.

I have a smart cover on my mini and that doesn't help much at all. Actually, it makes the experience worse because the smart cover ends up sliding on the back of the mini when I fold the smart cover behind. I might invest in a folio case......or maybe just stick with my Kindle.

I don't think it looks bad. If you want one that looks bad the Kindle Fire looks awful. The screen is the same size as the Nexus but the bezel is ridiculously huge and makes the device much bigger than it needs to be.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I don't think it looks bad. If you want one that looks bad the Kindle Fire looks awful. The screen is the same size as the Nexus but the bezel is ridiculously huge and makes the device much bigger than it needs to be.

I have the 7" kfhd. I can live with it but going to the larger 8.9 model even with the much improved screen I will not go for with its bezel.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I'll take the aspect ratio that actually looks like a book in my hands. I hate reading on 16:9 screens.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I got the dodocase for the ipad mini, the new sticker back is awesome. It's the 3m tape and holds the ipad in without leaving sticky residue on the ipad mini and gives it a book/notebook feel. I had one for my ipad2 but it broke and I was really iffed at them with teh bamboo tray, but this is awesome for me now.

dodocasemini.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.