Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intox

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
How many Gmail accounts can 1 person possibly need?
Use Google Apps for work, have a few because of that, and a few personal accounts i've accumulated over the years, then a couple webmaster accounts for a few websites I am involved in.

scott.peterson4

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
Logo Font?

Does anyone know what font Google uses for the text on the app login screen? Specifically the text for "Sign In" "Sign Up"?

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Wow - that font is really thin. Hmmm...

And the HTML / image-based emails are incredibly hard to read (small fonts + 3.5" screen = no bueno).

...I realize this opens the door for the Android fanatics to pound their chests about 4.7" screens and such :rolleyes: but for an existing 4S user it's a bit tough to actually read my emails.

Still, the app is absolutely beautiful and if nothing else it is a not-so-subtle reminder just how desperately iOS needs a refresh. Shifting between the Mail app and the new Gmail app feels a five year gap in design languages. I might even switch back from Outlook.com to Gmail as my backup email account now that the mobile experience is better than the web access.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Any idea how to hide the email previews on the lockscreen? Is it possible to just show the sender?

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Install issues for upgraders:

on the iPhone, update via App Store didn't work. But the link via Safari worked for me.

Alternative you can try, search Gmail in the App Store and update from there.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
I get my gmail mail in the Apple mail app (along with Yahoo & Hotmail). Seems to work fine.

If I had a gmail app I would be going to two places to get my mail.
It should and does work "fine", but you miss out on Gmail features like the priority Inbox. Managing an IMAP Gmail account is also just a bit of a pain in regular mail apps that don't know about Gmail archiving and its nonstandard use of folders as 'labels'.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It should and does work "fine", but you miss out on Gmail features like the priority Inbox. Managing an IMAP Gmail account is also just a bit of a pain in regular mail apps that don't know about Gmail archiving and its nonstandard use of folders as 'labels'.

I prefer the MS Exchange server of Gmail instead of via IMAP.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
This is a great improvement. I still stand by windows phone as having the best email client though. Everything else about it (with exception of the depth of social media integration), however, sucks.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
still a crap

1. Not native apps. Thus caching is horrible
2. Small fonts/not optimized
3. No swipe to delete
4. ....

I don't understand why people hates apple mail app. If you setup GMAIL as exchange, the benefit of using GMAIL apps is very minimum like unread mail and priority inbox.

I read all my emails/throw it away directly. If you have to many unread emails due to newsletter, then start unsubscribe from it

Priority inbox is not that powerful. If you feel that email is from important person, then set VIP list.

Stars = Label

Label = folder

if you feel it's important email and need follow up, just move to starred folder. Another question is why you need to put label/folder and browse the whole mail in folder while you can just search? Exchange search is much better now

If you don't know how powerful exchange is and blame apple mail app. Then you just not learn enough.

Date, contact detections, etc is powerful feature built in to apple mail app.

Any other feature that I missed from GMAIL app that is not workable using apple mail app?

tedmyoung

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Save email offline?

Anyone know if there's a way to save an email message for use offline (for my wi-fi-only iPad)?

;ted

adm.hpe

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Can contacts be synced? That's the only reason I have my gmail on exchange with the native email app.

No - you still need to sign in to Gmail on Exchange, but you can turn Mail > Off and use the Gmail 2.0 app.

That's what I do.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Now that Google is phasing out active sync, we may be forced to use the Gmail app for push email. I just wish you could change the default sound notification.... its too soft for me. At least make it choose-able from the installed tones.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Now that Google is phasing out active sync, we may be forced to use the Gmail app for push email. I just wish you could change the default sound notification.... its too soft for me. At least make it choose-able from the installed tones.

I have already stopped using exchange and have started using the gmail app. For my contacts and calendar I went into other section of setup and set them both up separately so they sync with my phone.

Just being proactive for what's to come.
2atu3y5u.jpg

uta7e7yg.jpg

5avazadu.jpg

Using carddav and caldav for contacts and calendar is just like setting them up with exchange.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Not me. I'm done with Google. All moved over to iCloud, and setup gmail forwarding so as not to miss anything.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I might have a problem with this app. If I get an email from a person that is not in my contacts list, how do I add them to my contacts list? I see no option to do do so.

Egobudike

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
England
Re

Good work apple..multiple accounts is a big news..may be just 5 but ok its fine..would love to use it as soon as it comes on the floor..

WilfredRhodes

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
I recently bought my new iPhone.

I do not have any issue with gmail app. It looks quite decent. But in my opinion (others can disagree), gmail app in android looks better than iphone app.

talk

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2007
The features that will make this perfect

1. Unified inbox - I need to switch between the few accounts
2. Add Contact is not available
3. auto folder complete when moving an item from inbox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.