Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hywelmered

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Using Migration Assistant to move from MacBook pro to MacMini, via Ethernet,
I was NOT informed that it would be 40% faster to link both computers via the Router with Ethernet. And not informed that both computers should not go to sleep. Originally I was informed that the Migration would take 90 hours * - but froze regularly!
Then after phoning Apple support for the third time, the advisor didn't know how to speed things up. Then he was told by his Supervisor that linking both computers via the Router with Ethernet would migrate 40% faster. Which is true. I have Migrated in 27 hours.
Why doesn't Apple explain this up front?

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Did you do any research on this or many other forums or google, to find out the best way to do something, or do you just expect to be spoon fed or maybe have Tim come to your house and do it for you?

hywelmered

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Did you do any research on this or many other forums or google, to find out the best way to do something, or do you just expect to be spoon fed or maybe have Tim come to your house and do it for you?

Your sarcasm is very profound!

I did research the issue, but nowhere online is it explained that using the Router is a fast way on Migration.
I'm sure others in the future would benefit from clear instructions on using the Router.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Your sarcasm is very profound!

No idea why some members here post just to be rude and make smart remarks. Sad.

I did research the issue, but nowhere online is it explained that using the Router is a fast way on Migration.
I'm sure others in the future would benefit from clear instructions on using the Router.

I agree, for a new user the instructions when you start Migration Assistant could be more thorough. So you had an ethernet wired connection directly between the two machines (?), and connecting by wired ethernet through a router was faster? I would not think there would be any difference at all. :confused:

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Confused...

I am having trouble understanding how your router and Ethernet were used with Migration Assistant.

Was the data transfer over your wireless network? If so, it should be substantially slower than a direct Ethernet connection. It makes no sense to connect both Macs via Ethernet with a router in the middle...

90 hours? You must have a lot of data... I would only expect a transfer to take that long if you had many terabytes and it was being done via wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.