Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I have been looking to buy one but some say they are too tight, somewhat tight or not reversible although it is supposed to, some say reversible. Yes, I can spend the $20 and get the original one but I can get 4 of them if bought 3rd party cables. Yes, I spent a lot of money on the iPhone but am willing to take the risk. Could someone share their opinions on the cable they bought and which store/Ebay seller/online site? Thanks!

adm.hpe

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I have been looking to buy one but some say they are too tight, somewhat tight or not reversible although it is supposed to, some say reversible. Yes, I can spend the $20 and get the original one but I can get 4 of them if bought 3rd party cables. Yes, I spent a lot of money on the iPhone but am willing to take the risk. Could someone share their opinions on the cable they bought and which store/Ebay seller/online site? Thanks!

Be very careful with iPhone5 third party cables. Apple have chipped the 5 cable and most (from Amazon or eBay) simply work intermittently or don't work at all.:rolleyes:

VeridisQuo

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I ordered 1 off amazon, and 2 off ebay, all around $5 shipped a piece and all seem to work perfectly fine in both positions. One of the ebay ones was a little tight. Personally, I wouldn't use any third party cables for charging overnight or anytime you won't be able to keep an eye on it, but thats just me. I use my original cable for charging while I'm asleep, and the other 3 for syncing, car and work where I'll be there with the phone while connected. I say go for it, if anything, buy 1 and test it out, if it works well, buy a few more from the same vendor.

Amazon one I ordered, ships out of china though, so kind of a long wait

eBay one I ordered, seem to be sold out though

Last edited:

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I ordered 1 off amazon, and 2 off ebay, all around $5 shipped a piece and all seem to work perfectly fine in both positions. One of the ebay ones was a little tight. Personally, I wouldn't use any third party cables for charging overnight or anytime you won't be able to keep an eye on it, but thats just me. I use my original cable for charging while I'm asleep, and the other 3 for syncing, car and work where I'll be there with the phone while connected. I say go for it, if anything, buy 1 and test it out, if it works well, buy a few more from the same vendor.

Amazon one I ordered, ships out of china though, so kind of a long wait

eBay one I ordered, seem to be sold out though

Thanks! Which vendor/store did you buy it from on Amazon?

bandityo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Ive gotten 5 aftermarket...two from boxwave, three from generic all works both ways for power and data..The only gripe is they dont have the same exact fit as OEM but work fine...dont listen to the hype....

adm.hpe

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Ive gotten 5 aftermarket...two from boxwave, three from generic all works both ways for power and data..The only gripe is they dont have the same exact fit as OEM but work fine...dont listen to the hype....

Do they charge as quick?

wratran

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
i bought 4 of them from ebay for $7 each.
work perfectly....dont listen to the bozo that never bought one...
Those iphone boy like anything that is APPLE and pay the apple tax

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Thanks guys! Hopefully, more people put where they bought it so, people who are interested to buy one like me also knows. I bought four USB cables for my iPhone 4 and they all worked fine except one that went bad but I paid a dollar so who cares :) The new 8-pin cables are little more complicated, that's why I wanted to ask.

thehilife

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Bought a set of a car charger, charging cube, and three cables for $20 shipped off eBay from a US seller named "drgaddis". I would NOT recommend purchasing from him. Two of the three cables I have work sometimes and sometimes they don't. They are also not reversible like the real Apple chargers and don't charge as quickly as the real chargers. I'm in the process of getting replacement cables from him, that probably won't even work. :rolleyes: They worked fine the first few times, but now sometimes when I plug them in they stop charging after a while. Once, I plugged in the USB cable to my computer and my computer just shut off immediately. Other times, nothing happens at all when I attempt to charge (literally, nothing--no charge, no alert errors). Other times, it will say "Charging is not supported by this accessory." Once, I got the messages on my computer that said a USB adapter was drawing too much power from my computer and to disconnect the cable. As I write this, I am at work. I was able to charge my phone from 56% to 70%, but suddenly it just stopped charging. -_-

SKETCHY. I now no longer connect the generic cables to my Macbook Pro. Honestly, with all the hassle, I wish I had just spent that $20 on another real Apple cable. I float around between 3 residences (dorm, parent's house, boyfriend's house) and also like to have additional cables for my car, work, etc. It was nice to find such an amazing deal on eBay, but remember: YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/261118395956;jsessionid=FB2DA7F86199E039B9AD5B29CB57857D?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D261118395956%26_rdc%3D1 and very happy with it.

It fits like the original. I can insert either way. Charges with no problems. Few cosmetic differences vs. the original, that's all. I paid $4.94 but it went up to $11.39 and I don't know if the seller still has them in stock or not. I wish I purchased more from him but did not want to risk by buying more than one.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Careful, there have been reports of third party lightning plugs breaking off inside the socket. This is obviously very bad, and it is unlikely that you will be able to remove it.

The repair probably won't be covered under warranty either.

Just stick with Apple or licensed cables. The risk is not worth the tiny amount of money you save.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Thanks. I will wait for their 6 foot cable which is only $0.75 more.

The 6' is sold out till March 21... you'll have to wait 5 weeks! The 3' one's are still for sale.

That said, I've just ordered 2 of the 3" ones.... thanks! saved me 50% instead of buying the "official" apple ones!.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.