Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Only Apple could add something ... so simple and make followers go week at their knees ... Ridiculous!

Had this have been another brand it would have been slated; with Apple the addition is hailed as a market leading wonder!

Why do you have to be an ass-troll?

People aren't going "week" at the knees. They are glad that FINALLY this option is being included within the iOS. They are elevated by the option becoming unlocked. Apple gets so much attention because so many people buy AND USE their devices. Most people get devices by other makers and shelve them after a while or feel the operation of such devices are like moving through a river of mud; a waste of time to get to a conclusion of a task.

Nearly no one is enthused for most other computer products because the products aren't enthusing in themselves.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Kind of awesome, but I think the addition of a keyboard to the iOS remote app is better. My Bluetooth keyboard is already busy with my iMac, so I don't really want to pair swap that often.

The iOS remote app already brings up a keyboard anytime there's a text field on the appletv.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Hell yeah... I just changed my SSID and had to reenter my long password with a mix of upper case, lower case and symbols... It was brutal...

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Next steps would be a bluetooth iSight camera for FaceTime, then Apple TV apps and games followed by a bluetooth game controller.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Next steps would be a bluetooth iSight camera for FaceTime, then Apple TV apps and games followed by a bluetooth game controller.
Alas Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for high quality video.

Or a better FaceTime to AirPlay interface for iPhones and iPods.
There's a thought. I mean several apps have demonstrated that you can display different images on the TV and iDevice, and yet Apple hasn't bothered to take advantage of this with the built-in ones.

I wonder if this is a sign that Apple will soon be switching from an IR remote to a BT version. Even though it likely would be small and simple (which I do like) rather than a full keyboard, it could still connect the way a keyboard does. (BT numeric keypads and iOS controllers like the iCade do so, for instance.)
There shouldn't be any reason for an official Apple remote to use such a hackish method of pairing.

For those who don't own an iOS device, the choice as it stands now is, either spend an extra $69 for an additional BT keyboard, or keep pairing/re-pairing your Mac supplied BT keyboard with your computer or :apple:TV as needed, a bit of a nuisance. It would be nice if the BT keyboards had a simple way of being paired with 2 or 3 pre-paired devices, at the flick of a switch.
Logitech's solar Bluetooth keyboard actually does have the ability to pair to multiple devices, switching between them with special function keys at the top.

However you don't have to spend $69 for a spare keyboard. There are very nice ones for considerably less.

Last edited:

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Still waiting for third party apps...

Me also, I'd love:

Vudu
Sirius/xm
Amazon vod. (Prime)
Epix movie channel

HBO, Cinemax, show time apps
Ability to add third party content feeds like roku

Ability to add a cam, to do FaceTime and Skype

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Huge.

What is the difference between an Apple TV and a Mac Mini?

A Mac Mini is a Mac (Intel CPU, hard disk etc), an Apple TV 2 and onwards is an iPhone (ARM derived CPU, A4 or A5; no hard disk 8Gbytes of flash ram). A Mac Mini is a computer, an Apple TV 2 and onwards is a media streamer...

Because it's based on iOS can they give us a web browser as well and a Bluetooth keyboard please! come-on it wouldn't be hard..

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Big Deal - no not really.

I've been using a remote app for ages that turns by phone or ipad as a keyboard...

It would me more useful to enable Safari on the Apple TV...

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
i have an apple wireless keyboard that came with my current imac that never got used (i purchased an extra wired extended keyboard with it). If this happens, this would be beyond awesome.

+1

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Wake me up when they finally have some non-subscriptions apps. Specifically ABC Player, Watch ESPN, and Pandora.

I love my Apple TV, but I feel a little constricted since I can't afford a Netflix or Hulu Plus subscription right now...

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Clarity..

With just a keyboard? Modern web pages are really difficult to navigate that way.

Sorry, what I meant was.. A web browser would be much more useful that a bluetooth keyboard..... what is the point of a bluetooth keyboard anyway? Using the App for Apple TV remote allows you to point, a bit like a mouse!

Key if they Bluetooth enable a keyboard, why not a mouse or trackpad? :)

johnnyrb

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
I would rather have a Bluetooth remote control with a built-in rechargeable battery.

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I guess this is update is alright, but I am not sure how a keyboard helps much in the current ATV menus unless you are doing searches/login info.

Maybe it is for a more direct connection for the Remote App.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Funny how no matter what update there is there are always gripers. Never happy. But I think they find joy in complaining. lol

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
Sounds good, but if they hadn't ****ed up the remote app so badly with 3.0, it wouldn't be needed.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Is iOS locked down so app developers also cannot use Bluetooth for speakers, pointers, and other devices outside of the ecosystem? I guess both wifi and USB are also locked down to prevent useful library storage and legacy file access. Any devs want to chime in?

I would like to see ATV allow dual monitors so you can watch two programs similtaneously (same room or different) and switch between them in the same room or have two different programs selected both for viewing.

I have been looking into getting an iMac to do this and this is as far as I have gotten on the research:

2011 iMac and accessories

http://www.frys.com/product/6619444?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/6599723?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.diamondmm.com/BVU195.php

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-Mid-2011-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/IF173-002

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/1...t&utm_term=if107-085&utm_content=product_link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233296

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1333DDR3S08S/

I would like to hear how others have done it.

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.