Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiddk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Hello,
I just purchased an apple tv 2nd gen off of ebay with no remote, is there anyway to access it with my iphone, I have installed the app remote but cannot get access. thanks

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Hello,
I just purchased an apple tv 2nd gen off of ebay with no remote, is there anyway to access it with my iphone, I have installed the app remote but cannot get access. thanks

If your on the same network the remote app should work. The apple tv can also learn pretty much any remote but you need a remote to make your way to that part of the settings.

kiddk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
If your on the same network the remote app should work. The apple tv can also learn pretty much any remote but you need a remote to make your way to that part of the settings.

I am on the same network, when i open the app on my iphone, nothing shows up

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm thinking you will need a physical remote to turn it on and navigate to the Home Sharing option to log in so that you can get the Remote.app on the iPhone to "see" it and use it.

kiddk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
I'm thinking you will need a physical remote to turn it on and navigate to the Home Sharing option to log in so that you can get the Remote.app on the iPhone to "see" it and use it.

I think you may be correct

Tec972

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
How would you get the ATV on your network without being able to control it and telling it what network to connect to. Your iphone remote app wouldn't be able to connect to the ATV because you haven't been able to get into the ATV settings. Am I wrong?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
unfortunately you need one for first set up, you can pick a logitech universal remote instead though and get better control of your stuff.

Layton10

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
I am so much interested about Apple TV. Also I want to buy it as soon as possible because this is great ultra modern technology. So, I have no more idea about Apple TV because now I have no any Apple TV.

kiddk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Thank you for all the help, now i just need to figure out if it s jailbroken or not, the seller stated it was "modified" but was not sure if it was jailbroken, he said a friend modified it for him, it does have the "apple tv" symbol on the bottom right but all the movie info is in Chinese or japanese. Any advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.