Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathanm1222

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
I just purchased the 21" iMac. I already have the 15" MacBook Pro. What is the easiest, most direct method for transferring/copying the entire contents from the MacBook to the iMac?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
If your MBP has thunderbolt:

Get a thunderbolt cable
Put the MBP into target disk mode
Connect the cable to the imac
run migration assistant on the iMac.
Transfer the users from the MBP.
(I personally prefer to reinstall apps and other bits on new systems, so don't use the other options in Migration assistant to migrate settings, apps, etc... You can if you want, but I like my new systems as clean as possible)

If your MBP only has firewire, you'll need the thunderbolt firewire adapter, the can do the above.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
If your MBP has thunderbolt:

Get a thunderbolt cable
Put the MBP into target disk mode
Connect the cable to the imac
run migration assistant on the iMac.
Transfer the users from the MBP.
(I personally prefer to reinstall apps and other bits on new systems, so don't use the other options in Migration assistant to migrate settings, apps, etc... You can if you want, but I like my new systems as clean as possible)

If your MBP only has firewire, you'll need the thunderbolt firewire adapter, the can do the above.

This.
But, then the OP has to buy one of these cables, if the OP has an external disk he could make a backup with Carbon Copy Cloner or TimeMachine and then use migration Assistant,

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just purchased the 21" iMac. I already have the 15" MacBook Pro. What is the easiest, most direct method for transferring/copying the entire contents from the MacBook to the iMac?

Connect the two machines together with a ethernet cable and run Migration Assistant.

Jonathanm1222

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
How to transfer data?

Wouldn't a thunderbolt cable connecting the two computers result in the fastest download? If so, approximately how long would it take to transfer about 150 gb of data using a thunderbolt cable with migration assistant?

mlamb64150

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2012
Isle of Man
I'm going to be doing the same as the OP, but getting the 27' iMac and transferring from MBP 17 -2009.

I'm unfamiliar with migration assistant. Basically all I want to transfer is my eMail, iTunes and the docs/music/movies directories.

Does migration assistance allow selective restore, or is it 'all or nothing' ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Wouldn't a thunderbolt cable connecting the two computers result in the fastest download? If so, approximately how long would it take to transfer about 150 gb of data using a thunderbolt cable with migration assistant?

It would theoretically, but much of this depends on limitations of disk speed, plus Migration Assistant itself does a bunch of thrashing around figuring out what to move, and that takes time. Honestly, I would not buy a $50 TB cable for a one time use like this.

I moved about 20GB between two MacBooks over GB ethernet and that took a little over an hour, just to give you an idea.

I'm going to be doing the same as the OP, but getting the 27' iMac and transferring from MBP 17 -2009.

I'm unfamiliar with migration assistant. Basically all I want to transfer is my eMail, iTunes and the docs/music/movies directories.

Does migration assistance allow selective restore, or is it 'all or nothing' ?

It allows some control. You will get the below screen. So you can either move apps in or not, for example, but there is no way to move only some apps. The things you are talking about would come in under the users checkbox, and again... it is all or nothing.

HJPZ9.png

bdbolin

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
I'm going to be doing fresh installs of all my apps. And manually picking and choosing my files to move via HD. I don't want my iMac to be plugged up with old cached files and garbage from my laptop. haha.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Is this also true when wanting to transfer files from a PC/Windows to the imac?

Migration assistent's primary goal is to let all your settings function again on a new mac. On a windows machine everything is organised different, and apple does not offer a service to organise that into mac-locations.

Easiest is to share your drive on the windows machine, connect over IP, and see the windows machine pop up in the finder.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is this also true when wanting to transfer files from a PC/Windows to the imac?

Yep... it works pretty much the same. You need to install the Windows Migration Assistant program from Apple from here. There are some limitations what comes over from Windows depending on version.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Migration assistent's primary goal is to let all your settings function again on a new mac. On a windows machine everything is organised different, and apple does not offer a service to organise that into mac-locations.

Easiest is to share your drive on the windows machine, connect over IP, and see the windows machine pop up in the finder.

Thanks for the effort but a bit of bad information given as show here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518

----------

Yep... it works pretty much the same. You need to install the Windows Migration Assistant program from Apple from here. There are some limitations what comes over from Windows depending on version.

Thank so much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.