Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hey guys. Got my moms ipad mini in the mail last night. Opened it up for her, set it up, and gave it to her. I have the ipad third generation. I will say that it felt far more comfortable to hold her ipad than mine.

I found myself using hers all through the night and this morning. My question is, I'm thinking of selling mine and getting a mini. Any thoughts??

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
If the resolution didn't bother you being that you are used to a retina ipad 3... Then I think you'll be fine.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I wouldn't give up my full size iPad 3 with retina for a mini even if it was free,but that's just me.compared to even an apple laptop the iPad 3/4 is small and light enough to bring around for my needs and I bring mine everywhere. Not to mention the mini is slower.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I posted this shot a while back iPad 2 vs iPad 3( I own both) to show what I feel is a big difference in text clarity.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355067718.032130.jpg

The next iPad I'm hoping is thinner lighter and more modern looking that will be a winner!

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Hey guys. Got my moms ipad mini in the mail last night. Opened it up for her, set it up, and gave it to her. I have the ipad third generation. I will say that it felt far more comfortable to hold her ipad than mine.

I found myself using hers all through the night and this morning. My question is, I'm thinking of selling mine and getting a mini. Any thoughts??

I have had a mini since the launch and sold my retina iPad 3. no regrets at all. would i love a retina mini... of course I would but the size and form factor easily trump the retina screen for my needs.

----------

I have had a mini since the launch and sold my retina iPad 3. no regrets at all. would i love a retina mini, of course... but the size and form factor easily trump the retina screen for my needs.

The mini is not slower than the 3, in fact it is a hair (like 1-2%) faster in most tests... it is the 4 that blows everything else away.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I posted this shot a while back iPad 2 vs iPad 3( I own both) to show what I feel is a big difference in text clarity.
View attachment 382482

The next iPad I'm hoping is thinner lighter and more modern looking that will be a winner!

exactly!! I had a mini and returned it for a 4 for that exact reason. website text is terrible on the mini in my opinion. I guess someone who hasn't used retina wouldn't notice but I gotta laugh when people say they don't notice the difference..

Brradley

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
You made that sound so dramatic! Chill out man, it's only an iPad and what if, you do make the wrong decision?!!? :eek: You'll still have an iPad either way.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Remember that the iPad Mini has a higher DPI display than the iPad 2, 163 vs 132.

the mini looks just as bad! there is another picture floating around here showing a mini compared to the 4.. I am not trying to detract from the mini but it is not even close to the 3/4. I can read the text on my little iPhone easier than I could on the mini....

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
the mini looks just as bad! there is another picture floating around here showing a mini compared to the 4.. I am not trying to detract from the mini but it is not even close to the 3/4. I can read the text on my little iPhone easier than I could on the mini....

I guess if folks really want great portability and a great screen, they can get an iPod touch 5. :D

mattfab

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
if you like smaller and less resolution screen, get the mini. if you enjoy the bigger and better screen, keep the ipad 3. also realize if you sell your ipad 3, you have to make sure u sell it for more than the ipad mini is worth, so you dont have to spend even more money. but personally, I would reather have the ipad 3 any day. i dont have an ipad yet, but i want the ipad 3 definitly

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Get the Mini.

At the end of the day, you will still have an iPad...plus gaming is still good on the Mini...you really don't notice the non-retina display when playing games, its just the text that pixelated mainly.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Why are you even bothering to post something like this on the forum because its just pointless you have the both devices in front of you surely you can make your mind up which one you prefer or don't like to be honest it doesn't matter what people say on a forum you are going to have whatever suites you

Use them both for say week then make your mind up

I really like the mini for traveling and reading but i really like the 9'7 inch iPad for watching media when i have time to watch things.We all like things for different situations if we were all the same the world would be a boring place that we live in

Sorry to be blunt but i'am just been honest

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Guys. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I mean this with all honesty, but can't I use the forum to get opinions of other apple users who maybe sold their iPads for the mini?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Of course, but you don't get to control the kinds if opinions you receive.

The Thing is, there are already a ton of threads discussing just this very thing. Had you searched, you would've found lots of people who discuss this. Most are very happy with the change, but some have returned their Minis because they wanted the Retina screen.

Considering we've seen these threads a million times, and nothing new will be revealed, you're going to get these other kinds of opinions that discuss your inability to make up your own mind on a relatively simple choice.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.