Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Im a 16 year old boy in high school. Just started working, will probably have about 150$ by the time christmas comes of money from working, and Im also going to ha get about $500 in total from my christmas money, so Im not sure what to do. I have no other money saved besides the 150 i will have, and I'm wondering, should i get the ipad 3 after christmas? I have an android smartphone, which is great, a desktop which i dont use that often, unless i play games, and a school issued macbook, which has A LOT of sites blocked, including yahoo mail. my school work is mostly electronic, and done through the macbook, and i pretty much only use the mb for school, since i cant download any mac apps, and cant visit half the sites i would like to visit. I usually do most of my web browsing on my phone, which can sometimes get annoying, considering its not that big of a screen, and some sites are annoying to visit on my phone. I browse the web everyday, mostly while in bed or on the couch. I sometimes play games, but there isnt as many good games on the android market as their is app store. i also have to use email everyday for school. I also watch videos on youtube, and wish i could watch tv on my phone, but i cant ,especially when my parents want to watch tv. I know i don't ned the ipad of course, but I have pretty much always wanted one, but now I have the money for once, but Im unsure what to do. My options are: save the money for driving school which is 800$, and wait to have enough for a car which could take another year or more, or buy the ipad and comfortably browse the web, look at my school email, and watch videos and tv, and play the great games available on the ipad.

ps: im almost 17 in like a month, and at 18, i dont have to pay for driving school, and for the hours im working now i probably wouldnt be able to afford gas, insurance, and any other expenses just yet, so I would be saving this money for a while

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
How long does an iPad last? A couple years (usually). How long does a license or knowledge last? A lifetime. I know what I would do.... You already have a Mac issued by your school for school. No need for another. If you wanna access blocked sites, get a USB, drag and drop.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Im a 16 year old boy in high school. Just started working, will probably have about 150$ by the time christmas comes of money from working, and Im also going to ha get about $500 in total from my christmas money, so Im not sure what to do. I have no other money saved besides the 150 i will have, and I'm wondering, should i get the ipad 3 after christmas? I have an android smartphone, which is great, a desktop which i dont use that often, unless i play games, and a school issued macbook, which has A LOT of sites blocked, including yahoo mail. my school work is mostly electronic, and done through the macbook, and i pretty much only use the mb for school, since i cant download any mac apps, and cant visit half the sites i would like to visit. I usually do most of my web browsing on my phone, which can sometimes get annoying, considering its not that big of a screen, and some sites are annoying to visit on my phone. I browse the web everyday, mostly while in bed or on the couch. I sometimes play games, but there isnt as many good games on the android market as their is app store. i also have to use email everyday for school. I also watch videos on youtube, and wish i could watch tv on my phone, but i cant ,especially when my parents want to watch tv. I know i don't ned the ipad of course, but I have pretty much always wanted one, but now I have the money for once, but Im unsure what to do. My options are: save the money for driving school which is 800$, and wait to have enough for a car which could take another year or more, or buy the ipad and comfortably browse the web, look at my school email, and watch videos and tv, and play the great games available on the ipad.

save that $500 christmas money towards a used car once you go to college. sell the desktop and buy an iPad.

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
if i can sell the desktop i would do that, ill see what i can get for it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.