Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
How to put ATV to sleep other than navigating to the TV screen menu option to do that? Is there a faster way using the iPad remote? My ATV (as seen by the white light) seems to always stay on.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How to put ATV to sleep other than navigating to the TV screen menu option to do that? Is there a faster way using the iPad remote? My ATV (as seen by the white light) seems to always stay on.

can you use the apple tv remote to put the apple tv to sleep?

I assume you mean put the Apple TV to sleep without navigating to the sleep option in the menus. Yes, this can be done from the remote, however it has to be done from the main menu, hold down the select button for 2 to 3 seconds until the Apple TV goes to sleep.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ that and also, do you have the settings set to auto sleep after a certain time?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Thanks all. But that didn't work for me. Pressing the select button on the physical remote while also making sure that I was in the onscreen main menu didn't work. Also I'm not using auto sleep settings.

But what I'm looking for is a way to put the ATV to sleep without having the TV on, and from either the physical remote or from the iPad Remote App (preferred).

Last edited:

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Just found the secret (for 3rd generation ATV with aluminum remote). Press the menu and select buttons at the same time. ATV goes to sleep immediately. TV need not be on.

I think the solution of holding the select button for 2-3 seconds works, but only for earlier generations.

espressoroast

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Amsterdam
Just found the secret (for 3rd generation ATV with aluminum remote). Press the menu and select buttons at the same time. ATV goes to sleep immediately. TV need not be on.

I think the solution of holding the select button for 2-3 seconds works, but only for earlier generations.

Thanks for this!
Holding down the "select" button stopped working after the last update when they introduced the ability to organize the icons.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Good on ya.

I think this is also the way in AppleTV 1.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Sorry to wake this thread up again. But it looks like menu+select is inconsisent. It doesn't always work. What seems to always work is holding play/pause for a few seconds.

I wish Apple didn't make this so cryptic. Auto sleep after say, 15 min., is a sure way (as someone mentioned earlier).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.