Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
My 5 has been shutting off periodically and when they checked it out at the Genius Bar they told me if it keeps doing it after they change firmware then they will swap it out. It's a pain to go in so I'm wondering if there's a chance they would replace my black phone for a white one? The black bezel just gets messed up far too easy.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
No, they will not allow you to change colors pet official policy. But if you make a big scene about how poor the quality is on the iPhone 5 and how cheap and bad the finish is (all true BTW), then you might get lucky.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
No, they will not allow you to change colors pet official policy. But if you make a big scene about how poor the quality is on the iPhone 5 and how cheap and bad the finish is (all true BTW), then you might get lucky.

They still won't replace it. Ever see that simpsons episode where krusty walked in the apple store and caused a fuss but nobody was paying attention to him? That's what will happen here .

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
They will only replace like for like. Only way would possibly if they didn't have your size and model in stock and someone made an excepiton.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Get a bumper of the opposite color. It works, next best thing to what u want.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

No need to spew your opinion in every thread you visit. It may true for you, but not true for everyone.

yateseyd1991

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
UK
Only if you purchased your iPhone from the Apple Store and are under the 14 days return policy will you be able to swap colours

:apple: iPhone 5 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPhone 1st Gen 8GB Sealed, iPod Video 5.5G 120GB, Shure SE425's :apple:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
and again, not for everyone. My bezel is still in near perfect condition minus a drop I had.

When we have daily threads about the poor finish of the iPhone 5 where people have stuff flaking off, it means that it has poor quality. I don't think you understand what true quality means.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

No matter how big of a scene he makes they will not replace with another color. Also my phone is not poor quality and the finish is not bad. Just because most people don't know how to take care of their expensive devices doesn't mean the finish is poor.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
My 5 has been shutting off periodically and when they checked it out at the Genius Bar they told me if it keeps doing it after they change firmware then they will swap it out. It's a pain to go in so I'm wondering if there's a chance they would replace my black phone for a white one? The black bezel just gets messed up far too easy.

If its having a legit issue, then they will swap it. they cant swap for another color as its all based on serial number and part number, just no feasible unfortunately for their logistic stand point.

When we have daily threads about the poor finish of the iPhone 5 where people have stuff flaking off, it means that it has poor quality. I don't think you understand what true quality means.

Im certain they understand true quality...and this "issue" has been deemed resolved long ago. https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/2...5-scratching-normal-for-any-aluminum-product/

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I dont think its technically possible to give you a different product. Its all in the computer afterall

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.