Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I know the issue of the "other" part of idevice data usage always comes up and I know it's meant to be for system files/cache etc but this just seems out of proportion to what it should be.

I was given a brand new iPad 3 this week and have just synced it with my iTunes (no songs, just apps, mail accounts, calendar etc).

In settings > general > usage, none of the apps have documents and data usage greater than 10mb (except chrome which has 80mb) so I don't understand how "other" can be 3 times the amount of actual data at have on my iPad?!

Any suggestions/ideas?

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
If it's jailbroken, iCleaner can take care of the "Other" data.

If it's not jailbroken, keep in mind that some Apps store their data in the "Other" section. I think AVPlayerHD did this, where adding videos to the App would just increase the Other size instead of the app's size.

If you desperately need to get rid of the Other, back up your device on iTunes and do a complete restore (wipes all data), then restore from back up.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I know apps store data on the device, but the amount of extra data they are taking up is shown in the "documents and data" section of "Usage" in Settings.

I've had a look at them all, and the amount of data used shown in that section does not add up anywhere near enough to what is actually shown in "Other".

That's why I was confused.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I started fresh with this one as I didn't want to sync the same things as my iPhone.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The best way to find out what is culprit is to do a fresh install and add do things one at a time noting which items add how much other.

Apps that have downloadable content can add Other.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I'm currently on 5.1.1.

I don't want to restore as iTunes would restore with iOS6 and I want to explore the option of jailbreaking to see how I like it.

I've just deleted everything off the iPad and the "Other" section is now 4.6GB and there's nothing else on the iPad.

Is there any way you guys know of restoring the iPad but keeping my current iOS version (5.1.1)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.