Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
"Bose's first loudspeaker product, the model 2201,[13] dispersed 22 small mid-range speakers over an eighth of a sphere. It was designed to be located in the corner of a room, using reflections off the walls to increase the apparent size of the room. An electronic equalizer was used to flatten the frequency spectrum of this system. The results of listening tests were disappointing.[13]

After this research Amar Bose came to the conclusion that imperfect knowledge of psychoacoustics limits the ability to adequately characterize quantitatively any two arbitrary sounds that are perceived differently, and to adequately characterize and quantify all aspects of perceived quality. He believes, for example, that distortion is much overrated as a factor in perceived quality in the complex sounds that comprise music. Similarly, he does not find measurable relevance to perceived quality in other easily measured parameters of loudspeakers and electronics, and therefore does not publish those specifications for Bose products. The ultimate test, Bose insists, is the listener's perception of audible quality (or lack of it) and his or her own preferences.[14][15] This reluctance to publish information is due to Bose's rejection of these measurements in favour of "more meaningful measurement and evaluation procedures".[16]"
Dr. Bose really sounds like a deaf guy. The problem with all of this research Bose has done for decades is he appears to completely ignore timing. That example of the 22-driver speaker is a perfect example. So are the 901s and all AM/Lifestyle systems. Simply aiming drivers in different directions doesn't make surround or more enveloping stereo. You have to actually get the right sounds to the person listening in the right way. Meanwhile, esp in recent years, many companies have made great strides in doing just what he described. So, where is Bose in the room correction field? Why isn't there a Bose algorithm to compete with Tact, Audyssey, MCACC, etc? These companies attempt to correct THE ROOM, not the recording. With the purpose of making those recordings sound how they were meant to be heard. Apparently, Bose thinks all recordings are crap, because their systems attempt to alter the music, not just play it back.
That is very original!

It is funny whenever the topic of Bose comes up you always have two very strong sides. One of course is the bashers and the other are the people that have actually bought the product and are very happy with their purchase.
Many people are happy with lots of things. That doesn't change the facts about those things. Sure, Bose can make audio sound different, and maybe even pleasing to some. But why do they STILL not use Dolby or DTS in their HT systems? (from what I see, they simply extract the audio and play their own mix) See, movie makers go to all sorts of trouble to make the audio fit the video. And when you run that sound through a regular processor, it simply puts the correct sound in the correct spot in your room. Why mess with that?

This is the real reason audiophiles detest Bose. (I mean both paragraphs combined)

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
No highs, no lows...must be Bose.

Bose:

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

Bose...selling a $300 surround system to the ill informed for $2200.

Bose...the power of marketing.

"Why don't you buy a Bose system? I hear they are the best."

"Who told you that?"

"They did."

Wow.. You bought all the cliches on the internets.. Have a banana.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

Bose:

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

"Who told you that?"

"They did."

This joke was funny last decade. It's not rocket science. Bose, JBL or whatever all will sound similar, just choose the one that looks better or is a bit cheaper.

Stop this crap for once. Thanks in advance.

grey02

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Asia
For a moment I thought I am reading an Apple bashing comments

The funny thing is many of the comments are similar to what the iHaters are saying about Apple.

Hilarious.....

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
With that said, they make mostly quality, good sounding products until you start getting into the $2000+ for a cubed home theater in a box system, and even that is quality, its just ridiculously over-priced. For that kind of money, I will second what another user said that you could buy an entire Klipsch Reference setup or something similar that would blow it out of the water.
Weird. That's pretty much what I did. Spent a bit more, though. And now looking to upgrade the Klipsch to something that sounds good for both music and HT. (Klipsch below the very high end is not great for music)

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
But why do they STILL not use Dolby or DTS in their HT systems? (from what I see, they simply extract the audio and play their own mix) See, movie makers go to all sorts of trouble to make the audio fit the video. And when you run that sound through a regular processor, it simply puts the correct sound in the correct spot in your room. Why mess with that?

You might want to do some research before you make statements that are false. My V20 fully supports DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. The new T/V25-35 supports DD 5.1, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and uncompressed PCM 5.1.

Just because they don't plaster Dolby and DTS stickers all over their equipment doesn't mean it is not supported. Seeing a Lifestyle with DD and DTS stickers on it would be like a Mac with an Intel sticker on it.

The only thing that the Bose systems do not support is Dolby ProLogic. When being fed a 2.0 audio stream Bose uses their own Videostage 5 decoding. In my experience I feel that Videostage 5 actually does do a better job then ProLogic when making taking a 2.0 stream and making it into 5.1. The center channel is quite clear and the front mains and rear surrounds seem to do a nice job actually giving you a simulated surround experience. Again I don't have any research to back this up it is just how it all sounds to me.

Last edited:

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Agreed!

The issues is, Apple and vendors profit from the idiots that buy this stuff!

Whilst I LOVE Bose (yup, am a Bose fan and user), my comments are general and not about a specific brand.

1. What's the point of putting a device that is made for communication in a dock!!? What if the phone rings while you are listening to music? You have to walk over, undock and answer it!

2. Sound quality from docks is poor because there is little genuine stereo separation.

3. As commenter says, why not stream over Bluetooth or NFC (as I saw being done in Carphone Warehouse, England the other day - excellent sound quality and amazing range!) so you can keep your device on your person!

4. I have yet to use my phone for music outside of the car or when jogging, but when I do use it in the home or office, I'll be streaming my music to a real stereo system, IE, decent amp and pair of speakers.

But my computer speakers and headphones are normally Bose, just like their sound. It's all a matter of taste.

Can somebody explain me what the point of this product is?
The bluetooth speaker systems are superior to this.. no plugging in, the iPhone itself is the remote.

Why is this even on the market these days?

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Love Bose!!!

There is nothing like side by side comparison tests on the same source material when shopping for a stereo. When I was auditioning systems I had my iPod and several audio cable. After auditioning a half dozen systems in my target price range ($250) I chose the Bose SoundDock II. I have never looked back. I have it in the bedroom hooked up to an Airport Express so I can wirelessly stream music from my MBP. The Bose SD II has the older 30 pin connector but then so do my iPod Nano 3G (fattie) and my iPhone 4S.

I may be a step behind "bleeding edge" but I have a very nice rig and the Bose sound is excellent. :D

P.S. All you Bose bashers are entitled to be....wrong.

Last edited:

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011

Bose:

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

"Who told you that?"

"They did."

The same could be said for all apple products :confused:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The issues is, Apple and vendors profit from the idiots that buy this stuff!

Whilst I LOVE Bose (yup, am a Bose fan and user), my comments are general and not about a specific brand.

1. What's the point of putting a device that is made for communication in a dock!!? What if the phone rings while you are listening to music? You have to walk over, undock and answer it!

2. Sound quality from docks is poor because there is little genuine stereo separation.

3. As commenter says, why not stream over Bluetooth or NFC (as I saw being done in Carphone Warehouse, England the other day - excellent sound quality and amazing range!) so you can keep your device on your person!

4. I have yet to use my phone for music outside of the car or when jogging, but when I do use it in the home or office, I'll be streaming my music to a real stereo system, IE, decent amp and pair of speakers.

But my computer speakers and headphones are normally Bose, just like their sound. It's all a matter of taste.

I dock it at night before I go to bed. And whilst I'm on my desk (in my room) it plays tunes

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Reminds me of Consumer Reports telling me to avoid the iPhone 4 by "not recommending it". I have an iPhone 4. I can no longer recommend Consumer Reports.

Consumer reports are relics from yesteryears. Can't believe people are still buying that thing.

dsmogh

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
oh please don't do it, ditch the connector and get a Bluetooth dongle (£20), or jbl/Bose, incorporate Bluetooth AND AirPlay, or is the licence fee too much for Bluetooth/AirPlay.

my Bluetooth dongle works perfectly from 20 metres away.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You might want to do some research before you make statements that are false. My V20 fully supports DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. The new T/V25-35 supports DD 5.1, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and uncompressed PCM 5.1.

Just because they don't plaster Dolby and DTS stickers all over their equipment doesn't mean it is not supported. Seeing a Lifestyle with DD and DTS stickers on it would be like a Mac with an Intel sticker on it.
Read my post again. Parenthetical comment. I am going by what Bose says. If you have further detail than their marketing and manual for the Lifestyle systems, I'll be happy to read it.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Bose and Apple target very similar markets.

Funny. The only people I know that own Bose equipment are seniors that are technology-clueless. These are the same people who get conned into things like antenna stickers for their cell phones and $99 power strips.

Apple sells to all ages, and to all levels of technical expertise.

The only time I see ads for Bose is on shows marketed to old people.

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Yea because under Steve Jobs the Lightning connector would had never been released. I am sure the Lighting connector had been in some kind of design stage before Jobs sadly left us.

Oh yeah. Thats a cool story. Cause you clearly know what Steve jobs would or would not have done.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Read my post again. Parenthetical comment. I am going by what Bose says. If you have further detail than their marketing and manual for the Lifestyle systems, I'll be happy to read it.

You must not have read the manual for the T-class or V-class systems very closely. Because it is in there. It does not talk a lot about using them because they are automatically selected depending on what the source material.

Even my last generation V20 supports these audio formats. I even took a picture of it playing both of them, not that you will believe it. Most Bose bashers will never accept that they are wrong even when evidence is presented.

Attachments

• 2012-12-09_12-41-41_266.jpg
    2012-12-09_12-41-41_266.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • 2012-12-09_12-44-58_290.jpg
    2012-12-09_12-44-58_290.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 63

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
So I see all this Bose hate...

Can anyone recommend a dock/speakers set?
I'm looking for one for my dad who is still using the 30pin connector. Something nice.

Airplay is probably a no go, it needs to be VERY simple. An aux input would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.