Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
If they can fit a SIM card slot and a cellular antenna into the iPad why can't the MBA have the same?

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Because they don't want to I guess. Why they don't want is anybody's guess, not enough demand for it, not enough space for it, Apple want people to buy iPads, people don't really want another SIM contract etc etc..but there is no formal response on it from Apple so it's all going to be guesses.

Pick one.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
takes up space and power.

idk about you but my S3 tethers perfectly, have to love unlimited LTE data as well ;)

plus add in Air Droid and this Air is a complete solution. Can leave my phone in my bad and do anything from the Air

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
takes up space and power.

idk about you but my S3 tethers perfectly, have to love unlimited LTE data as well ;)

plus add in Air Droid and this Air is a complete solution. Can leave my phone in my bad and do anything from the Air

Takes up space isn't much of an issue but the Power, definitely.

That's why I got the Verizon iPad as I can use it as an Hotspot as well :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Dunn know but am hoping the VERY AFFORDABLE ChromeBook is making laptop vendors take notice.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Dunn know but am hoping the VERY AFFORDABLE ChromeBook is making laptop vendors take notice.

You mean the one that you basically need an Internet connection to get any work done?

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012

Like 53X12 said these laptops are 100% cloud based and are fairly useless without a connection. Because of that 3G can be an important asset. With a MBA you can work locally so constant connections aren't a major concern. Couple that with lots of free wifi spots and hotspot/tethering with phones and there is little need a cellular connection.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I had a Toshiba R600 a while back. In many ways, it was ages ahead of the MBA. It had a built in 3G radio which I thought was one of the best features about it. You never have to tether it - just open the lid and instant connectivity. I would love it if the next generation MBA had it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.