Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogegg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Hi, hoping someone can help me with past knowledge.

I currently own a MBP but have ordered a new 27" IMac. I intent to move all my apps over to the new machine but I'm wondering if I'm going to get a lot of license issues?

I know that Apps from the store will be fine but the majority of mine aren't. I am selling my MBP so will restore to factory settings and therefore my apps will only be being used on one machine. Is the license with me or my machine? Am I likely to have to re-buy software? One example is MS Office 2011.

Thanks in advance

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The licence will be entirely different for each Application.

Generally, you can have Office installed on one computer at a time, so if you are wiping everything that's on your old computer, then you can install it again on a new one. There are some exceptions though - you really need to read the specific licence that came with your software.

That is true of most software.

dogegg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
The licence will be entirely different for each Application.

Generally, you can have Office installed on one computer at a time, so if you are wiping everything that's on your old computer, then you can install it again on a new one. There are some exceptions though - you really need to read the specific licence that came with your software.

That is true of most software.

Thanks, here's hoping for a relatively pain-free experience :)

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Yeah it depends on the software Vendor, Adobe will allow you to install Photoshop on your desktop and laptop, as long as you don't use both at the same time. Other companies only allow one copy to be installed.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...another thing to keep in mind when wiping your old computer for resale is to deactivate apps like Photoshop. Yes, you are allowed a couple installs but you can possibly save yourself some hassle later by deactivating beforehand, especially if you have apps that are single installation licenses.....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.